Black Wii coming to US in 2 weeks

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by GolfDude, Apr 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2010
  1. GolfDude
    OP

Member GolfDude GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I wonder if Nintendo has a firmware update to go along with it?

Tipsters from Target, GameStop and Future Shop—as well as one shopper at FYE, where the black Wii bundle is apparently available for pre-order—tell Kotaku that a new Wii bundle is bound for the United States and Canada in May, one that will include a black-colored Wii console, first released in Japan in the summer of 2009. The new Wii bundle appears to include copy of Wii Sports Resort and a Wii MotionPlus add-on in the package. The new bundle is listed at $199.99 USD.

That new Wii package is scheduled for release in the U.S. on May 9 and in Canada on May 23, according to those retail sources.

http://kotaku.com/5525000/rumor-black-wii-...-america-in-may

2. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    lol this sucks for people who paid 50$ for Wii Sports Resort now that people are getting it for free with a Wii lol...

3. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Why would this mean a new update is coming?

4. blackacidevil

Member blackacidevil GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Pretty amazing news, that a black wii console will do an update and that will affect us users running custom ios/apps/utilities .

I dont think you should be fear mongering ppl.

Ive got some great testors paint, I could paint my wii black and save myself the 200$. But Im a bit afraid if i "Paint it Black" it will magically have a update.

5. GolfDude
    OP

United States
    its been long over due that there will be another system update, and that better time to do it than on a "new" console release.. and a few weeks before their big mario release..

werent the original black wiis in japan harder to mod, or still impossible to mod?

6. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

I still don't see the connection. The black wiis were released in other countries outside of japan before xmas.

7. pepxl

Member pepxl GFX W!Z4RD

United Kingdom
    yeah its basically the standard boxset now

Wii + Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort + WM+

(Limited)Black Wii + Wii Sports + Wii Sports Resort + WM+

im surprised you guys are getting the black wii so late, its been out several months now in the UK with the new standard boxset, all old Wii consoles with only wii sports are near enough replaced with the included wii sports resort

Back Wii's here come with 4.2, well the ones ive modded so far, 4

8. blackacidevil

Canada
    An update or an attempt from Nintendo to secure the system so backup dvd's / sd cards or usb devices. Cant be done.

What Nintendo keeps attempting to do is cause inconvience, to make people have to go and put a fix or patch. Till eventually people just give up.

They cant patch or update the system, and they can't make Mario GAx unplayable with a modded system. There are so many problems with them attempting to do that, they need to put out a new system with unwritable areas on it without the possibly of being tinkered with.

It simply cannot be done by nintendol.

9. GolfDude
    OP

United States
    it makes you wonder why they never announced the black wii when its due out in a few weeks.. why were they keeping it a secret only to have it leaked out by retailers..

10. FenrirWolf

Member FenrirWolf GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Nothing was different about them than any other wii with boot2v4.

11. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Because when you announce that you have a newer product coming out, everyone stops buying the old one.

12. blackacidevil

Canada
    The Koreans need Wii's that are not tolerable to them throwing games in Starcraft or cheating. Throwing games and losing in order to fix betting parlay to where its controlled or profitable.

I'd wrap the system with unbreakable titanium so they can keeep their cheating mitts off it

13. iggloovortex

Member iggloovortex GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    i always wanted a black wii. but seeing as i bought my wii the first day it came out im not buying a new one. ive since applied skins to my wii to make it look more beautiful than a black wii, and put covers on my wiimotes and nunchuks to do the same. i also bought a WM+ and by the good internet have Wii Sports Resort. Im sure the bundle is great for new owners, but unnecessary for me.

14. syko5150

Member syko5150 GBAtemp Syko!

United States
    nope i have a black Japanese Wii it was easy to mod and when i got it i didn't know anything about the Wii hacking scene the only thing is that you can't play backup discs with the black Wii but who cares USB Loading is a lot better then backups anyway =P

15. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

lolwut. It took nearly a whole weekend to figure out something simple like the NSMB BCA check, and months for all the system menu hacks to be updated for 4.2.

16. r3dfaction

Member r3dfaction GBAtemp Regular

United States
    These black ones still come with the new DVD drives rendering it useless for Movie playback (DVD) and runnning backups... but the bold black does look appealing [​IMG]

17. OrGoN3

Member OrGoN3 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    DVD backups. Work with cIOS just fine. It also lowered Nintendo's cost to produce them, since they have less materials in them now.

18. tueidj

Member tueidj I R Expert

Haha, thanks for the laugh. Don't worry everyone, the l33t h4ck3r DeadlyFoez is here now and will crack the next system menu all on his own in less than a day, even though by his own admission he doesn't have programming experience. Maybe he plans on berating it until it gives in.

19. giantpune

Member giantpune GBAtemp Addict

United States
    if you want a black wii, you can get a black case off ebay for $25 including shipping. or you can get a can of black spraypaint for $3. i dont see what the big deal is. its just a color. the black doesnt make it any better or worse.

20. vinzanity

Member vinzanity GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    This would have been good news to me since i drooled over the black wii when it was released in japan. Now i have 1 already.
    Here was what i did:
    -I have a white Wii with a legit USA board, moddable DVD drive with Wiikey1 and bootmii installed as bootmii.
    -I saw an Ad that sold a Japanese Black Wii for cheap so i bought it immediately.
    -Used the full dissassembly guide found in the internet and moved my wii motherboard and DVD to the black Wii and moved the Japanese one to the white casing.
    -Used a razor blade to gently remove the sticker that contained the Wii Serial number. Swapped with the 2 casings (although the sticker is white for the white casing and black for the black one it doesn't matter. LOLZ)
    -$profit! Now i have a US black Wii that is capable of reading back-ups.

In the end the fun was in finding a black one, dissassembling the unit and powering the system to see that you did not forget to plug-in some cables.
    To see it work in it's new case was worth all the trouble.

BTW, i was able to sell the "now white" japanese wii for the same amount i purchased it. NICE! [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.