Black Wii.. BootMii and other Noob questions

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by Moeca10, Oct 18, 2011.

Oct 18, 2011
  1. Moeca10
    OP

Newcomer Moeca10 Advanced Member

Norway
    Heya. :)

My friend has a black Wii and as I am the only person he knows that has hacked a Wii before he gave me the honour of hacking his Wii. System Menu 4.3. Going to use LetterBomb and HackMii installer.

I read that BootMii won't start as boot2v2 but as boot2v4 on the Black Wii, meaning that it won't be the first thing I see when I turn on the Wii, correct? Meaning it will only start from The Homebrew Channel? If so, how can I recover from a brick?

Will Priiloader still load if I hold the "reset" button shortly after the "power" button?

Thanks guys :)

2. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    It won't install as boot2, but that has nothing to do with the version of boot2. You can still recover from a full brick using the nand backup you make with bootmii as IOS. You will have to pay someone to reflash the nand with it.

Priiloader will still load, and you can use it to recover from partial bricks.

3. Moeca10
    OP

Norway
    Pay "someone" to reflash the nand? Please explain :P Can't do it myself?

4. JoostinOnline

United States
    Someone who has and knows how to use an infectus (which is no longer in production), as well as taking apart a Wii and soldering/desoldering parts from it.

You just have to find someone close to you who can do it. Prices vary per person, but it's usually around $50.

5. Moeca10
    OP

Norway
    I see. So I better not brick it :P What are the most common reasons for bricks? .wad files? custom System Menu themes?

Another noob question: after I backup the nand with BootMii, where does it go on my SD card?

6. JoostinOnline

United States
    nand.bin and keys.bin go in the root of your SD card.

I explain the differences between bootmii versions here, and common causes of bricks here.

7. Moeca10
    OP

Norway
    Thank you Sir! :)

So if I understood you; Priiloader will still boot on Black Wii before anything else if I hold the "reset" button upon start? If so, isn't it almost brick free?

Sorry if I am being too much of a noobie :P Appreciate the help alot!

8. JoostinOnline

United States
    Not at all. We all start out newbies. Trust me, when I started out I did some REALLY stupid things, lol. Mostly it's because I was too proud to ask for help and instead based everything off of unreliable info. It's good that you ask questions.

Priiloader boots before the visual System Menu, but it is still part of the System Menu itself. Because of this, if you uninstall the System Menu or the IOS it uses (resulting in a full brick), Priiloader won't boot. However, if you don't mess with things you don't understand then you should be safe from full bricks.

9. Moeca10
    OP

Norway
    OK! Does the IOS take alot of Wii Memory? (almost every IOS is yellow(installed, right? :P ) in the IOS manager app on MMM) Is it safe to uninstall the mothballed IOS's?

Also: is there a website to download the "safe" .wads? Mostly forwarding channels for the emulators I'm interested in. Tried some, but the Wii just froze.

10. JoostinOnline

United States
    No, it takes up maybe a single block. Removing stubs is a waste because if you delete the wrong thing you could be screwed, and it won't save you a significant amount of memory.

You can find forwarder channels in threads on this site.

11. Moeca10
    OP

Norway
    OK. Thanks for the help!