Homebrew Black screen when running Homebrew Launcher Channel

Sega dude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to launch the Homebrew Launcher Channel from the Wii U Menu, I get a black screen after the Homebrew Launcher splash screen. I then have to hold the power button until the Wii U turns off. My Wii U is on 5.5.1U and I followed Plailect's guide. This happened the first time I tried launch the Homebrew Launcher Channel, but I believe it worked the second time I tried. It has not worked since, even after multiple attempts and deleting and reinstalling the Homebrew Launcher Channel. It seems like the splash screen disappears abruptly like it's crashing. I am using the browser exploit and I am launching Mocha before I go to the Wii U Menu. I can't find anything about this problem. Any ideas? To be clear, I am having trouble launching the Homebrew Launcher from the Wii U Menu, not from the browser.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When I try to launch the Homebrew Launcher Channel from the Wii U Menu, I get a black screen after the Homebrew Launcher splash screen. I then have to hold the power button until the Wii U turns off. My Wii U is on 5.5.1U and I followed Plailect's guide. This happened the first time I tried launch the Homebrew Launcher Channel, but I believe it worked the second time I tried. It has not worked since, even after multiple attempts and deleting and reinstalling the Homebrew Launcher Channel. It seems like the splash screen disappears abruptly like it's crashing. I am using the browser exploit and I am launching Mocha before I go to the Wii U Menu. I can't find anything about this problem. Any ideas? To be clear, I am having trouble launching the Homebrew Launcher from the Wii U Menu, not from the browser.
Did you buy the DS game you injected the channel into? It doesn't work if you use a pirated game

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not using a DS game. I am using the browser exploit and Mocha CFW. I installed the Homebrew Launcher Channel with WUP installer as described in Plailect's guide.
Ah, so you are using browser exploit every time you launch?

Strange that it is not working. Are other installed titles working?

Sega dude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so you are using browser exploit every time you launch?

Strange that it is not working. Are other installed titles working?

Yes, I am launching the browser exploit every time. I start the Wii U and go to the Internet Browser. I run the exploit which launches Homebrew Launcher 1.3. From there I launch Mocha CFW. I then press the home button, which brings me to the Mii Maker. I close the Mii Maker, then I launch Homebrew Launcher Channel on the Wii U Menu. The splash screen comes up and it makes a sound, then a few seconds after the splash screen abruptly disappears. Other installed titles are working fine. I tried redownloading the Homebrew Launcher Channel again, putting it on the SD card and trying to install it again. Same problem. I also tried reformatting the SD card and starting from scratch. Still the same problem.

MaxiBus

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I have the same problem with Haxchi CFW on 5.5.3e
Launchin HBL via Haxchi is working, but the installed HBL Channel results in a Blackscreen after the spladh screen. Any ideas?
Thx!

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
iirc it's because even though you exit mii maker, the homebrew launcher is still there on the Wii U's RAM.
If you try to re-launch the homebrew launcher payload while the homebrew launcher is still loaded on the Wii U it crashes (kinda) and hangs on a black screen

Since you, OP, use the web exploit to launch the homebrew channel, load mocha and then exit normally, you just tap the miimaker app to launch the homebrew channel again until you either reboot your Wii U or cause a soft reboot (like starting system settings and exiting)

(Note: It's been years I don't use the browser exploit nor mocha cfw, but I recall it worked like this)

Reactions: KyoIsHacking

Sega dude

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Launching the Mii Maker app again after running the exploit through the browser does indeed re-launch the Homebrew Launcher.

I looked at Plailect's guide again, and it has changed a bit since I followed it in December. It now says to use Homebrew Launcher 1.4 instead of 1.3. This means I can now run RPX homebrew, which I could not with 1.3. That is why I wanted to use the Homebrew Launcher Channel, since the more recent Wii U homebrew is RPX. It also has you put a payload.elf file from the Homebrew Launcher Installer payload.zip file in the wiiu folder of the SD card. There is also a new exploit site to go to, wiiuexploit.xyz. I still can't use the Homebrew Launcher Channel, but now that I'm using Homebrew Launcher 1.4, I can use the newer Wii U homebrew.

eranar

Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
I tried using loadiine.ovh instead of the provided exploit site and, surprise surprise, it worked like a charm. Sega dude, give it a try, it will probably work for you too, as I've been following the same guide as you.

Pathulhu

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hate to bump the thread but i've got the same problem, i have no idea what's causing my homebrew launcher making the screen go black and freeze my wii u, i use haxchi and activate the mocha cfw before opening the channel and then nothing

i just got into wii u hacking a couple days ago and im concerned i did something wrong

persephone-0844

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Literally having the same problem. I followed the instructions to a T and have this issue. I haven't installed any games or anything so I'm not sure what the issue is. I followed the Haxchi route that requires you to load Mocha to be able to load the homebrew channel. Any suggestions

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if haxchi is working correctly, you don't need mocha. that's like using a cfw to load another cfw. if you get a black screen, you should also get a minus error if something is wrong. I'm not sure about just a black screen. if you're using a f ake ticket, it should say something about the user not being on the system, then the game won't boot at all. it sounds like something is wrong with your mocha setup anyway, like trying to use rednand. look at the config - if it says rednand=1, it's trying to load rednand. this will cause a black screen if you have no rednand.

Reactions: Lostbhoy

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this is my mocha configuration:
upload_2020-10-31_14-48-7.png

mocha is good for showing you which firmware you're on. haxchi will just show 99.99.99. that setup should cause mocha to run.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: Brb