Black screen when loading all games through wiiflow 2.1

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by L0rdlucan, Jun 19, 2011.

1. L0rdlucan
    OP

Newcomer L0rdlucan Newbie

Ireland
    Hi,
    I'm getting a black screen when trying to load games through wiiflow 2.1. I have softmodded a few consoles and this is the first time I've got this problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Background:
    Wii was originally hardmodded with drivekey(solderless), this has been removed prior to softmod. Firmware was 2.1e, I updated this to 3.1e using Lego indiana jones original adventures. Installed homebrew channel using bootmi V0.8. Installed waninkokos 249, 250, hermes 202,222,223. Installed patched ios60 and updated to 4.1e via wad manager. installed cios249(57)v20wad and cios250(37)v20wad. Installed priloader and blocked online and disc updates.
    All of this I have done a few times before with no problems. With this particular wii, the games all show up on the hdd but when i go to launch a game it freezes on a black screen. The hdd is fat32 formatted, all games are in wbfs format and were transferred across using wii backup manager.
    What I've tried so far:
    tried the hdd on another softmodded unit and it worked fine
    tried another know good hdd with the problem wii, same problem occured so its not the hdd.
    deleted wiiflow.ini and reloaded, no change
    reloaded all ios/cios, no change

this same setup has worked for me on a few other units so I'm at a loss as to why this unit is giving problems. I have the original nand dump so I can reset and start again but I'd like to avoid that if i can. I would be greatful for any suggestions. Cheers.

2. Lacius

Member Lacius GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Use ModMii to install 249d2x56 and 250d2x57. You might also wish to use Configurable USB Loader instead.

3. L0rdlucan
    OP

Ireland
    Thanks Lacius, I'll give that a try. I've done about 10 softmods now and have done them all the same way with no problems. I did them all offline and used the same files each time (which I have saved to my laptop) which is why I find it strange that I should suddenly be getting problems. The only difference with this one is that the original firmware was 2.1e before I started the softmod. All the others that I did were at least 3.1e. Not sure if this would have made any difference. Anyway, thanks again for the help, I'll give it a try and post back.

4. brausm08

Member brausm08 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Wiiflow 2.1 will not work with d2x unless you change the versions to 21 (instead of the standard 2100x format)....and it won't download covers unless you build a custom d2x for Wiiflow 2.1

if you insist on Wiiflow 2.1: what's worked for me is to use the Wiiflow [224] version....which launches on a [57] base (assuming you've installed the recommended Hermes 5 base for slot 224)....for all music games and MHT, change the launch IOS for those games to 223.... this setup doesn't rely at all on 249/250.

if you want d2x compatibility (it is worth it), i also recommend a different loader: CFG like Lacius suggests or GX-r1088....

5. L0rdlucan
    OP

Ireland
    Thanks for the advice guys, you were spot on, cfg usb loader did the trick.
    First I restored the Wii with the original nand dump and started the softmod again. This time I used modmii to do the softmod (i usually do it all manually). I installed the lastest version of Wiiflow (2.2) but still the same problem. Brausm08 I took your advice and tried the 224 version (I actually tried all the versions) but none of them worked. So I tried cfg usb loader instead and it worked.
    I'm not sure why wiiflow didnt work on this Wii. As i said, I have softmodded a few other Wiis, and I did them all offline using the exact same files (even used the exact same external hdds) and never had a problem. Anyway, its working now so happy days.
    One other thing you might be able to help me with. When I have a nunchuck controller plugged in when I'm in cfg usb loader, I keep getting stack dump errors. If I load a game and wait for it to prompt me to plug in the nunchuck, it works fine. Do you know if there's a fix for this. Its not a major issue, just a bit annoying. I think it might possibly be because I'm using 3rd party nunchucks.