Black Screen on some software, mainly Lua ones or stuff by Rinnegatamante

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by DecearingEgg, Sep 3, 2018.

1. DecearingEgg
    OP

DecearingEgg Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2018
    United States
    I don't know why, but I can't seem to get any of these apps working. I've tried various ones, from EasyRPG Player to Sunshell with no avail. I've searched for threads or videos ir anything that explains what I'm doing wrong but have failed. I prefer using CIA but I'll use 3DSX if I have to. Please, can somebody help? I download the cia, extract the Sunshell folder, fail to get things working, and fail to get ERPGP working when I have games in the proper folder. For ERPGP I get a screen with numbers and the splash and then it restarts the DS, for Sunshell and others a black screen that requires a restart. I'm using an O3DS.

Somebody please help!

Note: I have Lua installed from using FBI + TitleDB.

Last edited by DecearingEgg, Sep 3, 2018
  2. Itzumi

Itzumi Needs More Aesthetics

Jun 27, 2018
    United States
    USA
    mind getting a photo of the numbers screen?

3. DecearingEgg
    OP

DecearingEgg Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2018
    United States
    It's not anything different from the loading screen for ERPGP. The numbers are the keyboard since RM2K/2K3 sometimes requires use of those buttons. The only issue there is it freezes and crashes.

4. daxtsu

daxtsu GBAtemp Guru

Jun 9, 2007
    Antarctica
    I'm not precisely sure when these apps started to break, but they were abandoned a long time ago, so there might not be much you can do outside of running a really old firmware (I think all of Rinnegatamante's stuff was designed for and tested on 8.x-10.x), or hoping someone will update them to properly work on newer firmwares (or if you're technically inclined, you could try to fix them yourself, but be warned that Rinnegatamante's Lua stuff used very specific and custom versions of stuff, so you'd probably have to rewrite large portions of everything..).

Depending on what you're wanting to do, you could perhaps look into these more modern projects as replacements or substitutes:
    If you're wanting a file browser and music player, consider 3DShell: https://github.com/joel16/3DShell/releases
    If you're wanting to make games with Lua, consider LovePotion: https://github.com/TurtleP/LovePotion/releases
    If you want to install CIAs, consider FBI (unlikely you don't have it already, but just in case you don't): https://github.com/Steveice10/FBI/releases

As for Easy RPG Player, I'm not sure on that one.

Joel16 and Itzumi like this.
  5. Mastak

Mastak GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Some ctrulib change broke the graphic library (libsf2d) we used in EasyRPG, thats why it's is crashing and there is currently no dev with a 3DS around for fixing this, so will take a while ^^.

daxtsu and Itzumi like this.
  6. DecearingEgg
    OP

DecearingEgg Member

Newcomer
    Aug 29, 2018
    United States
    Well... that's not good. Downgrading the FW doesn't seem like the best idea for my case so looks like that won't be useable. Thanks for the info though.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Ouch, that's too bad. At least the android version works!

7. Mastak

Mastak GBAtemp Regular

Oct 17, 2015
    United States
    Good news. We made some progress with moving the rendering code to citro2d.
    When 0.5.4 is out (in ca. 1 week) easyrpg will work again.

Also with minor improvements:
    - Slightly faster framerate (+5 FPS)
    - Less audio stutter
    - reduced "linear heap", which means 24 MB more RAM for games (hopefully fixes some crashes)