Jeff Bannow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Problem:
When trying to boot my brand new R4i Gold 3DS RTS, I get dual black screens.

Details:
Nintendo DS console (firmware v6)
R4i Gold 3DS RTS - Bought from an official vendor (modchipsdirect)
Sandisk Ultra 32GB HC Micro SD Card

Root of the SD card has:
_rpg folder
_DS_MENU.DAT
and 1 ROM file
The Wood kernel was downloaded directly from www.r4ids.cn

Various things I have tried:
Formatted the card using SDFormatter v4 (format type Full Overwrite, Size Adjustment On).
Formatted with guiformat.
Formatted with Windows.
Tried the Multimedia kernel, also from www.r4ids.cn

It works with the 4gb card. At this point, my only thought is that the card itself is incompatible somehow.

Anyone have any thoughts on how I can get this to work? Or, what card I should order instead?

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very odd, actually saw other reports that a brand new 32GB card didn't work but an old smaller one did. Maybe Sandisk changed something in their new SDs and the cart firmware can't read it. Or maybe it's the R4 itself, the team changed PCBs and it might have had unintended consequences. For identification the new chips are blue instead of red.

Last edited by Sleet,

Jeff Bannow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's very odd, actually saw other reports that a brand new 32GB card didn't work but an old smaller one did. Maybe Sandisk changed something in their new SDs and the cart firmware can't read it. Or maybe it's the R4 itself, the team changed PCBs and it might have had unintended consequences. For identification the new chips are blue instead of red.

This one is blue as well. Tried 2 different 32gb cards - the new one, and an older one as well (new red and grey speed 10, older black speed 4). Eventually got the older card to load the kernel, but there were no titles for any of the folders or games!

I've ordered a speed 4 black 16gb Sandisk to test with. Hoping that one works.

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This one is blue as well. Tried 2 different 32gb cards - the new one, and an older one as well (new red and grey speed 10, older black speed 4). Eventually got the older card to load the kernel, but there were no titles for any of the folders or games!

I've ordered a speed 4 black 16gb Sandisk to test with. Hoping that one works.
I linked your thread on this one, they are experiencing the exact same thing. https://gbatemp.net/threads/r4i-gold-3ds-rts-incompatability-with-uhs-1-sdhc-cards.489567/

Jeff Bannow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Did you experience this too? Also do you know if this is effecting the R4i Gold Plus?
No I do not experience this, I do not have one BUT I have tested with a friends R4i Gold 3DS RTS (Blue PCB), it is definitely because of the new PCB, these were implemented back in October. The R4i Gold 3DS Plus doesn't seem to have any issues, I do indeed have one of those. I use an 8GB Sandisk microSD though so who knows. I haven't seen any issues circulate the net for them so they seem to be fine.

Jeff Bannow

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No I do not experience this, I do not have one BUT I have tested with a friends R4i Gold 3DS RTS (Blue PCB), it is definitely because of the new PCB, these were implemented back in October. The R4i Gold 3DS Plus doesn't seem to have any issues, I do indeed have one of those. I use an 8GB Sandisk microSD though so who knows. I haven't seen any issues circulate the net for them so they seem to be fine.

Do you know what card / speed it was?

Sleet

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for testing I got my hands on a few blue pcb R4i Gold 3DS RTS and used with a genuine Sandisk Ultra Plus 32GB SDHC card. And it didn't boot for any of them (but did with a 4GB Lexar). Just to help confirm the issues present on these.

Last edited by Sleet,
Reactions: Steffenfield

Steffenfield

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So for testing I got my hands on a few blue pcb R4i Gold 3DS RTS and used with a genuine Sandisk Ultra Plus 32GB SDHC card. And it didn't boot for any of them (but did with a 4GB Lexar). Just to help confirm the issues present on these.

Same here.

R4i Gold 3DS RTS with a Sandisk Ultra Plus 32GB SDHC card that I tried with earlier today.

The console just can't seem to recognize the cartridge when used together.

Is there any known solution on this?

If not, what is the best SDHC card to purchase?

DeadSkullzJr

Developer
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Used a 128GB SanDisk Extreme on my R4i Gold 3DS Plus and it works great. Like I said in other topics, the issue with the RTS mostly occurs with SanDisk Ultra MicroSD cards.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/uTiClR8keU4