Gaming Black screen of death

CoupureElectrique

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was moving a big file from HDD to (unmodded) Wii U and it froze. (There was about 1.5GB free and the file was around 900MB. I stupidly reset the console and now it doesn’t start up anymore.

When I turn it on, the gamepad doesn’t sync, the disc drive makes booting noises twice and there’s just a black screen.

Could I fix this myself some how? I already tried unplugging everything and even taking the save battery out like a YouTube vid suggested

D

Deleted User

I was moving a big file from HDD to (unmodded) Wii U and it froze. (There was about 1.5GB free and the file was around 900MB. I stupidly reset the console and now it doesn’t start up anymore.

When I turn it on, the gamepad doesn’t sync, the disc drive makes booting noises twice and there’s just a black screen.

Could I fix this myself some how? I already tried unplugging everything and even taking the save battery out like a YouTube vid suggested

Hey.

Maybe i can help you. The WiiU has a small security-protection. It´s not much and not many people know about this, but maybe you`re lucky! Remember when all those WiiUs were "dead" after updating?

The truth is: They weren´t dead. The update just failed. That doesn´t mean the WiiU is dead. The Wiiu´s just missing OS-files which hinders it from starting into the OS on it´s own.There is a security-protection, which tries to download the necessary files, as long as that part of the WiiU is still working AND YOU HAVE the necessary hardware for it (LAN Adapter is required).

They told many years ago- that you need to just connect the Wiiu via a Lan-adapter to the Internet (i´m afraid that Wifi won´t work!), and put the WiiU into Standby-mode. And WAIT a few hours (and watch what happens!).

It´s similar to old floppy-drives trying to "save" a bad bios on a PC`s mainboard. It will try to download your file from the internet and then - via an LED show you the status of the progress. Just like you can save a bad bios via a floppy-drive by just installing it blind.

There are 3 stati for WiiU-LED to show you what´s going on: a) your WiiU´s LED Is red. That means it´s shut-off. When it gets ORANGE it´s checking for data (yes, including working OS-files). and when it BLINKS orange that means it´s installing data right now. And there is a fourth state (Blue) that means it´s switched ON and fully powered into the OS (wether that is the vWii-OS or the WIiU-OS doesn´t matter). The fifth LED-state is blinking blue or blinking red, which you shouldn´t get since that means overheating (blinking red) or hardware-failure (cpu/mainboard etc) => blinking blue.

You better not disconnect a WiiU from the power-plug when it´s installing data in standby. So watch CLOSELY what it does and ONLY switch it off when the orange light is on and IT DOES NOT BLINK!

Once it´s done with re-installing your needed OS-data it will go back to LED being orange and then back to red (shut itself off).

I´m not 100% certain if this security-protection works if you shut-off the automatic updates or not.

But i think it will save your console from being "dead".

What it does is simple:

It checks the servers from Nintendo for needed updates. And re-installs updates which failed or it overwrites them. And your Wiiu will (hopefully with some luck) work again.

GOOD LUCK!

If it doesn´t work it means, your "Safety procedure" failed. Try it at least a few more times! DoN`t give up so fast! It can take HOURS until the WiiU recognices your Lan-adapter and starts to make a security-procedure-call to overwrite your failed update/dead OS (depending on the settings you made when you used "Auto-update").
If it doesn´t work can also mean: The necessary hardware of your WiiU is faulty so that it can no longer do such a security-call to the Nintendo-servers (to heal itself).

Oh and btw: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DON`T USE IPV6! As WiiU does not natively support IPV6. Use IPV4-connections. Since the secure-call only is known to work via IPV4.

Like i said: Good luck. And please call back if it worked ok?

Please be aware that it might be that it DOES NOT WORK, if you switched off "Auto-Updating". Since that´s also the auto-recovery-function. It might work or not with that setting off. I don´t know.

D

Deleted User

Oh and btw: Next time you install a big file on WiiU`s onboard-memory, watch it closely. And if it fails again DO NOT reset the WiiU.

What you do is WAIT...at least 30-60 minutes! if it still doesn´t install then you e.g. put off that USB-thumbdrive you tried to install from (that will delete your data and give you a message of corrupted game´s data but it won`t make your WiiU semi-brick ;)

In the end, if it STILL does not recognize the failure. Then you just firmly push the on/off-button on the console for 4 seconds. Then you wait 10 seconds. Then you can go on and push the button again to start the console again. It should not fail to start here.

And last but not least: If you have a failed intall-data, you go into the data-centre (data-management) and see it´s regnonized here with a question-mark. You push on that question-mark and then you can delete the failed data-install.

Be careful what you do.^^

CoupureElectrique

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Thank you for the response but I already paid for the repair and it’s being sent back as we speak. I don’t own a wired adapter anyway.. would this work even if I never configured wired internet in the settings? I thought “auto pilot mode” was a false rumor?

D

Deleted User

Thank you for the response but I already paid for the repair and it’s being sent back as we speak. I don’t own a wired adapter anyway.. would this work even if I never configured wired internet in the settings? I thought “auto pilot mode” was a false rumor?

Aaaah. Well. Too bad you allready sent it in. Yes it would work even if you didn´t configure any internet-settings.

Since a LAN-Adapter does not require any "settings". It´s full-automatic.

And Wifi wouldn`t work, since it requires you to make settings otherwise you cannot use the Wifi. Also Wifi wouldn´t work since it requires drivers which the WiiU`S OS only can access once it has fully booted that OS up.

Btw: No it isn´t a "false rumour". How come you think it is?

The WiiU does really have that small security-protection. But alas it´s "old". It works exactly like it does when you flash an old Bios from a PC`s mainboard. And that means- since if you have a bad bios you will not be able to see your bios flashed, you have to do it blind.
And in WiiU´s case you have to watch what the LEDs show you.

Many WiiUs send in to Nintendo weren´t "dead". There is no faulty hardware. Just a missing driver on the flash-memory of the WiiU´s, which is leading to "OS-error" on boot-up. Which is a semi-brick.

The Wii- didn´t have this security-system since it didn´t have online-connection like the Wii has and it didn´t have a real OS.

And this tiny "search for new updates" is a routine which is allways run to make sure, your system doesn´t have errors. However as i said: I don´t know what happens if you don´t configured it correctly. I think it will still work but take a longer time to recognize the Lan-adapter.

piratesephiroth

I wish I could read
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey.

Maybe i can help you. The WiiU has a small security-protection. It´s not much and not many people know about this, but maybe you`re lucky! Remember when all those WiiUs were "dead" after updating?

The truth is: They weren´t dead. The update just failed. That doesn´t mean the WiiU is dead. The Wiiu´s just missing OS-files which hinders it from starting into the OS on it´s own.There is a security-protection, which tries to download the necessary files, as long as that part of the WiiU is still working AND YOU HAVE the necessary hardware for it (LAN Adapter is required).

They told many years ago- that you need to just connect the Wiiu via a Lan-adapter to the Internet (i´m afraid that Wifi won´t work!), and put the WiiU into Standby-mode. And WAIT a few hours (and watch what happens!).

It´s similar to old floppy-drives trying to "save" a bad bios on a PC`s mainboard. It will try to download your file from the internet and then - via an LED show you the status of the progress. Just like you can save a bad bios via a floppy-drive by just installing it blind.

There are 3 stati for WiiU-LED to show you what´s going on: a) your WiiU´s LED Is red. That means it´s shut-off. When it gets ORANGE it´s checking for data (yes, including working OS-files). and when it BLINKS orange that means it´s installing data right now. And there is a fourth state (Blue) that means it´s switched ON and fully powered into the OS (wether that is the vWii-OS or the WIiU-OS doesn´t matter). The fifth LED-state is blinking blue or blinking red, which you shouldn´t get since that means overheating (blinking red) or hardware-failure (cpu/mainboard etc) => blinking blue.

You better not disconnect a WiiU from the power-plug when it´s installing data in standby. So watch CLOSELY what it does and ONLY switch it off when the orange light is on and IT DOES NOT BLINK!

Once it´s done with re-installing your needed OS-data it will go back to LED being orange and then back to red (shut itself off).

I´m not 100% certain if this security-protection works if you shut-off the automatic updates or not.

But i think it will save your console from being "dead".

What it does is simple:

It checks the servers from Nintendo for needed updates. And re-installs updates which failed or it overwrites them. And your Wiiu will (hopefully with some luck) work again.

GOOD LUCK!

If it doesn´t work it means, your "Safety procedure" failed. Try it at least a few more times! DoN`t give up so fast! It can take HOURS until the WiiU recognices your Lan-adapter and starts to make a security-procedure-call to overwrite your failed update/dead OS (depending on the settings you made when you used "Auto-update").
If it doesn´t work can also mean: The necessary hardware of your WiiU is faulty so that it can no longer do such a security-call to the Nintendo-servers (to heal itself).

Oh and btw: PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU DON`T USE IPV6! As WiiU does not natively support IPV6. Use IPV4-connections. Since the secure-call only is known to work via IPV4.

Like i said: Good luck. And please call back if it worked ok?

Please be aware that it might be that it DOES NOT WORK, if you switched off "Auto-Updating". Since that´s also the auto-recovery-function. It might work or not with that setting off. I don´t know.
Where have you taken that from? I've never heard of such a thing.
Plus there's no setting to disable automatic updates. You can only do that via DNS.
A possible problem is if standby mode is disabled. However I don't even know if this guy's Wii U will ever enter standby mode since it can't even boot.

SpicyMcHagis

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The Lan Adapter trick worked for me. Thought my was console was dead and was about to buy a second hand console but found this thread I thought I would try it.

Anyone who has the black screen of death should try this. Super happy it worked!!!

jedi23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm faced with the same issue that my console won't boot after it crashed during copying a large file.
So I hope I can also ressurect my console with a lan adapter.
Wii (U) lan adapters are quite expensive on ebay. I think I will get a cheap Nintendo Switch 3rd party adapter.

Last edited by jedi23,

tiger1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
The Lan Adapter trick worked for me. Thought my was console was dead and was about to buy a second hand console but found this thread I thought I would try it.

Anyone who has the black screen of death should try this. Super happy it worked!!!
can you elaborate furthur buddy i also facing same issue got a broken wii u for cheap ..have same issue console powering on but no display and gamepad aint syncing as well....my biggest query is after you connected lan adaptor you pressed power button on wii u to turn it blue and left it idle ?? or you left it in power off state with red light and left it idle ??? the guy providing this information in this post said that wiiu has to be left in stand by mode after connecting lan adaptor but since the console aint booting its only possible to press power on button which turns blue light......any information will be highly appretiated since this is unknown aspect of wii u i myself have heard first time it might help others who having same issue
Post automatically merged:

I'm faced with the same issue that my console won't boot after it crashed during copying a large file.
So I hope I can also ressurect my console with a lan adapter.
Wii (U) lan adapters are quite expensive on ebay. I think I will get a cheap Nintendo Switch 3rd party adapter.
i myself going to try this ..i got a wii u cheap it isnt booting nor syncing with gamepad ..only console starts no dislplay....there is a small confusion the guy in post mentioned that wii u had to be in stand by mode after connected to lan adaptor but since the console isnt booting it can only be powered on how can some one put it in stand by with out entering menu...does he mean wii u connected with power normal red light and then we have to leave it idle after connecting with lan adapter without powering on its power button ???

Last edited by tiger1234,

jedi23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I managed to borrow the Hori Switch LAN adapter. And I found a PC USB LAN adapter from Avantek that I also tested. When I connect the Switch adapter, the Leds on the router stays dark. Using the Avantek adapter, the green Led on the router is lid.

I am also not sure about the stand-by mode. We only have a constand blue or red light. So I assume, that when we shut off the Wii U by pressing the power button for 4 seconds, the unit will change to stand-by mode?
So the only way to see it works is, when the red led turns orange after a few minutes and then wait a few hours until the led is red again? Am I correct?

But the my led does not turn orange...

Last edited by jedi23,

tiger1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I managed to borrow the Hori Switch LAN adapter. And I found a PC USB LAN adapter from Avantek that I also tested. When I connect the Switch adapter, the Leds on the router stays dark. Using the Avantek adapter, the green Led on the router is lid.

I am also not sure about the stand-by mode. We only have a constand blue or red light. So I assume, that when we shut off the Wii U by pressing the power button for 4 seconds, the unit will change to stand-by mode?
So the only way to see it works is, when the red led turns orange after a few minutes and then wait a few hours until the led is red again? Am I correct?

But the my led does not turn orange...
i think after pressing power off button for 4 the stand by mode dosent work i saw in nintendo wii u site..a guy over here managed to fix his wii u having this issue using this method ive sent him message he might guide us....and yes you are right only 2 ways to execute this using lan adaptor one is by red light mode that is power off but connected to power supply and other by pressing power button means powering ob the console by blue light ..only 2 possibilities are there if we get exact scenario which is right among 2 it can increase the possibility of success...as far as i can understand i may be wrong that guy mentioned that lan adaptor has to be connected in power off mode with red light console connected to power supply and red light will become orange after some time then orange starts to blink then orange becomes stable ...then orange turns red and console shuts down post update ...everything is clear only starting point i need confirmation it will be executed in power off mode or powering it on by pressing power off button there is a guy in comment section he managed to successfully fix his wii u using this unit he might be extremly helpful in guiding us and many more having same issue in future
Post automatically merged:

i think after pressing power off button for 4 the stand by mode dosent work i saw in nintendo wii u site..a guy over here managed to fix his wii u having this issue using this method ive sent him message he might guide us....and yes you are right only 2 ways to execute this using lan adaptor one is by red light mode that is power off but connected to power supply and other by pressing power button means powering ob the console by blue light ..only 2 possibilities are there if we get exact scenario which is right among 2 it can increase the possibility of success...as far as i can understand i may be wrong that guy mentioned that lan adaptor has to be connected in power off mode with red light console connected to power supply and red light will become orange after some time then orange starts to blink then orange becomes stable ...then orange turns red and console shuts down post update ...everything is clear only starting point i need confirmation it will be executed in power off mode or powering it on by pressing power off button there is a guy in comment section he managed to successfully fix his wii u using this unit he might be extremly helpful in guiding us and many more having same issue in future
it might takes many trying before success we can try all we had to do is leave it connected i havent tried yet im getting a lan adaptor then ill try also make sure your connection is ipv4 since wii u dosent seem to be compitable with ipv6 as the guy mentioned

Reactions: jedi23

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Standby mode is orange LED... You can't bring the Wii U into this other than waiting, so do not press any button (keep the Wii U in red light / power off mode) but just connect the LAN adapter, then connect wall power and wait.
The router not showing any sign of a connection is normal for as long as the Wii U isn't in standby: It doesn't power the LAN adapter while beeing turned off.
I managed to borrow the Hori Switch LAN adapter. And I found a PC USB LAN adapter from Avantek that I also tested
Do you know what chipset is inside of the adapters? Cause that's all that matters (Wii U supports one chipset only).

also make sure your connection is ipv4 since wii u dosent seem to be compitable with ipv6 as the guy mentioned
All connections are IPv4 compatible. Even DS-Lite ones tunnel IPv4 over IPv6 which should be enough for the Wii U to grab the update from Nintendos servers.

//EDIT: @jedi23 The Hori adapter is clearly wrong: It supports 1000 Base-T which the chipset the Wii U supports does not support.

jedi23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So what chipset uses the Wii U Lan adapter? Are there any working 3rd party adapers? The original one is so expensive to get.

Also, I'm quite sure I disabled the function to download stuff in stand-by mode. Will this method still work?

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
So what chipset uses the Wii U Lan adapter?
ASIX AX88772
Are there any working 3rd party adapers?
There's a relative cheap one from UGREEN but I can't find a link right now. Other adapters with the same chipset should work, too, but it is always a good idea to read amazon reviews and stuff. Also don't buy cheap stuff from china as they usually ship what they have available, not what it advertised.
Also, I'm quite sure I disabled the function to download stuff in stand-by mode. Will this method still work?
Good question. I'm not sure about this but I guess no... :(

jedi23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Great, I found the Ugreen Lan adapter on Amazon for a reasonable price. It uses the AX88772 chip! I don't think it will help, since I'm quite sure I disabled the standby functions, but I will give it a try :)

tiger1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Great, I found the Ugreen Lan adapter on Amazon for a reasonable price. It uses the AX88772 chip! I don't think it will help, since I'm quite sure I disabled the standby functions, but I will give it a try :)
ugreen lan adaptor with this chipset will be ok ...i also find ugreen and a generic lan nu connect adaptor with AX88772 chipset ill also gonna try it after ill receive from amazon pls update after you try

Reactions: jedi23

LinxESP

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I got the ugreen adapter with the correct chipset, the issue is that my wii u doesn't respond to the power button to turn it off seems like.
I can turn it on with the power button, but I can't get it to power off unless I hold it for longer or unplug the power, but that way the manual says it won't run the standby functions:
"Standby Functions will not run:
• if the console has been turned off by pressing the POWER Button for more than four seconds.
• if the AC adapter is disconnected while the console is turned off."
Sync button doesn't seem to work even with wiimotes, so I can't use bluUbomb I think.

tiger1234

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
India
I got the ugreen adapter with the correct chipset, the issue is that my wii u doesn't respond to the power button to turn it off seems like.
I can turn it on with the power button, but I can't get it to power off unless I hold it for longer or unplug the power, but that way the manual says it won't run the standby functions:
"Standby Functions will not run:
• if the console has been turned off by pressing the POWER Button for more than four seconds.
• if the AC adapter is disconnected while the console is turned off."
Sync button doesn't seem to work even with wiimotes, so I can't use bluUbomb I think.
its correct eitherway stand mode wont work if press power button for few second then why you concerned about it?? if u got correct adaptor and you connect it with wii u in power off red light mode then it should work..all you have to do is connect wii u to power supply and connect lan adaptor if every thing went well the red light will become orange then it will start blinking orange then orange again then again red powering off post update..also remember this process may take hours be patient ..some time it takes hours to even lan adaptor detected and to red light becoming orange ...possibility of its not working might be hardware issue or stand by mode and automatic updates disabled in setting when it was working....also give it many try some time it works after many trying its obvious all one have to do is to leave it connected...i dont see any reason someone disabling automatic updates and stand by mode unless someone hacked there wii u and homebreweed it if this issue occurs in non modded wii u possibility of standby mode and automatic updates disabled is very less unless the user remembers that he manually went in setting and disabled those setting for some reason

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: +1