Hacking Black Screen of Death: Wii

Miles54321

OP
Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Like 2 days ago my Wii wasn't turning on! I just got a black screen, it was working fine the other day and I didn't touch any programs like Dop Mii for my IOS's or anything, I just played games on usb loader gx and wii ware, I remember moving some wii ware games and virtual console to my sd card!

The next day I switched it on, it didn't work, just a black screen! I'm thinking it may be over heating, I left it for another day though and it hasn't turned on!

Could someone tell me what they think the problem could be, also, can anyone give me a good guide to how to unbrick you wii, just incase it is bricked! I have a GC Controller and My NAND backup of my wii system memory!

Miles54321

OP
Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
Hells Guardian said:
Sounds like a brick! Do you have bootmii boot2 or priiloader installed and can they load? if noty you may well be SOL!

The light on my Wii goes green but nothing comes on, the screen stays black still! I don't know if Bootmii and priiloader boot up, how do I check that?

The light goes from red to green when i switch on, on the black ground it stays black!

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
To check for bootmii/boot2, when you power the wii on, if the drive slot flashes twice quickly then you have bootmii installed into boot2. You may also compare your serial number to the ones in this thread to see is your wii is at least capable to have bootmii installed into boot2.

To find out about preloader/priiloader, just hold down the 'reset' button imeadiately after powering the wii on. If priiloader is installed then you will see a menu pop up.

Last thing to try is doing the savemiifrii trick to see if the system menu is working and if the recovery mode may come up.

There is a possibility that your bluetooth or wifi module could be bad and be causing your issue right now.

USB Loader GX has had a recent history of bricking wii's. As long as you have your nand backup then your wii can be repaired. If you don't own an infectus and are not trusting yourself with soldering then you can send your wii to someone like me for reflashing if you don't have bootmii installed to boot2.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
do you have an sd card or memory card plugged in?

if so, try removing everything and see if it still boots.

Miles54321

OP
Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
I removed SD card it still didn't boot!

I pressed the power button and held reset with priiloader on my SD card and without it and I got a stack dump error! I checked my blue light when i switch on my wii and it only flashed once meaning bootmii isn't on right.

The last thing I installed were wads; Pokemon Rumble, Bomberman Blast and Defend your Castle, do you think one could be defective or do you think it could be a hardware failure?

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
most likely one of the wads messed things up. If it crashed while you held down the reset button then priiloader is screwed. I suggest trying a few more times. Only hold down reset, not power too.

If you can't get priiloader to come up at all then sending it out for repair is your only option.... that is if you can't fix it yourself.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
DeadlyFoez said:
If you can't get priiloader to come up at all then sending it out for repair is your only option.... that is if you can't fix it yourself.
Foez may be too modest to say it, but you can send it to HIM for repairs, he's fixed hundreds of Wii's, and often is able to recover the user's original content (like savefiles, mii's, etc.)

wiixale

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Do you hear nor sound or see video signals? If yes, check the cable(s) you use to connect the Wii through (I'm serious).

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
^^ Seriously, with the THOUSANDS of wii issues I've seen people have, someone always says "check ur cablez", and guess what? It is never the cables. Not once have a seen an issue resolved by someone just checking the cable or replacing it. It does not happen unless there is obvious damage from your dog chewing on them.

wiixale

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It sounded me strange, so this is why I suggested it.

I'm used to exclude the easier solutions before going on more difficult ones.

mauifrog

DA KINE WiiHacker
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Perhaps someone did not like the idea of you installing wiiware wads, and instead gave you a system menu wad instead. That would be a dirty trick, but could happen. You could have a look at those wads you installed in showmiiwads, see what they are.

IggyNignokt

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Try reading my post here. If your issue is the same as mine, see if you can use BootMii or Priiloader to get into the Homebrew Channel and then use MultiModManager to restore your System Menu.

Good luck!

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
IggyNignokt said:
Try reading my post here. If your issue is the same as mine, see if you can use BootMii or Priiloader to get into the Homebrew Channel and then use MultiModManager to restore your System Menu.
Thanx noob, but if you read the previous posts you would see that we are already beyond that, an no, bootmii is not installed and priiloader is not working properly.

Miles54321

OP
Trophies
Website
derbergerac.com
XP
Country
bazamuffin said:
Have you tried SavemiiFrii to see if there is still a functioning system menu?

My SaveMii came in the mail today, My Wii had a black screen when i turned it on with nothing in but the gamecube controller and Savemii

I looked at the tutorial guide if you switch it on and you get just a black screen you're meant to put in SaveMii into GC slot a or b!
I did and the screen is still black!

What am I meant to do in conjunction with SaveMii? I have a Gamecube Controller Plugged into Port 4 or should I take it out

bazamuffin

RESIDENT HATER OF POLITICAL POSTING WANKSTAINS
Trophies
XP
Country
Uruguay
You should only have the Savemii in. If you already have a GC controller then there was no need to buy a Savemii. If the GC controller method didn't work then Savemii won't, they do the same thing. Sounds like the system menu has gone, in which case you have a nice doorstop.

You could send it to N and say that it happened whilst trying to update. Worst case is that you will be where you are now, nowt to lose

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUOk5Cftpa4