Black screen means bluetooth module replacement?

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by vinzanity, Jul 27, 2009.

Jul 27, 2009
  1. vinzanity
    OP

Member vinzanity GBAtemp Regular

Philippines
    Here's my story. While waiting for CIOS Rev14 to come out last saturday, i got bored and decided to install System Menu 449 (4.1 U) using Wadmanager. My wii was working perfectly but it was at System Menu 417 (4.0U) with Bootmii as boot2 and Preloader 0.29. Since i was preparing for Wii Sports Resort (US-NTSC) to come out so that i can buy it with WM+ i decided to upgrade it to 4.1U (to fix having to watch the video after playing wiiware). I created a nand back-up before the upgrade to be sure. After installing the wad i downloaded using NUSD, i was able to boot and check that my system menu was now at 4.1U. I was ok, but then i needed the preloader with 4.1U. so I proceeded to install it again. All went great and i enabled the hacks i wanted. i rebooted and the system menu was once again seen. However i forgot to enable the "Replace health screen with back menu" which i had enabled when i was in 4.0U. So while in the system menu i turned of the console using the wiimote. Suddenly i could not turn the machine on using the power button no matter how hard i pressed and how many times i tried. I tried the eject button and it powered the machine. Thank goodness, or so i thought. I was getting a black screen. So i got my SD card and used Bootmii to boot the system. I restored my current backup. Successfully restored it but got a black screen. I got my older 4.0u nand backup and restored it. Still black screen. So while in hbc i tried to sync my 2 wiimotes. Both blinked continuously and could not sync. I loaded a gamecube disc and use neogamma to boot it. Wow it played well. Then i tried snes9xgx, it was again playing games from my sd card. Now i tried a wii game, all of the discs i tried showed either green screen or black screen and only red steel was able to get stuck at the "Licensed by nintendo" screen. I tried usbloader GX but it could bot detect my 160GB passport drive. Mplayer_CE would launch to a black screen.

Now i researched and the internet gave me a result that it may be the Bluetooth Module clip-on that's causing the problem.

The questions i have are:
    1. If it is indeed the bluetooth module, is it really the first to be initialized prior to entering the system menu?
    2. The fact that i can play gamecube games, emulators, use sigviewer to see the list of my IOS installed means i still have a good and non-damaged nand right?
    3. Did preloader or the wad upgrade cause my bluetooth module to fry? Is it that fragile?

The funny thing is after getting the low level brick, the game and cios14 i have been waiting for has been released... How amusing. Now i have a white gamecube "slim" at home. Thanks for reading this lengthy post and appreciate your comments.

2. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    can you turn on your Wii with the WiiMote? if not then more than likely it is the bluetooth

3. vinzanity
    OP

Philippines
    i can't turn it on using wiimote because it doesn't sync. Even when in Homebrew channel it does not sync.

4. Thomas83Lin

Member Thomas83Lin Retro Gamer

United States
    well i'd say its defiantly your bluetooth module but wait until someone else confirms, i think your on the right track.

5. ether2802

Former Staff ether2802 we have the techno...!!

Mexico
    so your WiiMote doesn't work at all...?? not even with emuators or anything..?? if that is so then yes it is your Bluetooth module, but I don't think it got damaged by installing a few files in your Wii...!! [​IMG]

6. vinzanity
    OP

Philippines
    yup wiimote doesn't work when using SNES9XGX or inside Homebrew Channel. I really think it is the bluetooth device and also think that it was coincidence that after installing preloader it would cause that since i was using it when i was on 4.0. Thanks for your replies and hopefully someone could enlighten me why failure of bluetooth to initialize can cause the wii not to load the system menu...

7. 0M39A

Member 0M39A GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    i think i recall reading somewhere that you need the system menu to sync remotes. pretty sure it was in the freedom thread, as it is a system menu replacement, you cant sync your wiimotes with it (ie. make sure they are sync'ed before you install it.

probably no help to you though.

8. vinzanity
    OP

Philippines
    I'll try looking at the freedom thread but i doubt i'll be able to install it.