Black screen from disc channel

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by uppTagg, Sep 7, 2009.

Sep 7, 2009
  1. uppTagg
    OP

Newcomer uppTagg Newbie

United States
    Hi there fellow homebrewers! I'm pretty new to this softmodding thingy and I started just a few days ago with the following:

Chipped PAL wii (old d2b wii - cut legs - wiinja deluxe modchip installed)
    Firmware: 3.4E

Now I have the following installed (much thanks to this site!!):
    HBC ofc.. installed using bannerbomb.
    Firmware 4.1E (using waninkokos from 3.4E, meaning I had to install a patched IOS60)
    BootMii installed as boot2 (so comforting to have the wii brick-proof! ^^)
    cIOS38 rev 14 and to install that I used the TBR method.
    IOS56-64-v5146.wad to be able to launch GH5 from disc-channel

Everything up until now has worked like a charm! I could run all my games from disc channel and I can install VC/WW games and move them to my sd-card and anything just runs. However, I recently bought a balance-board (a 3rd party one for about 30€! I know the guy at the shop ^^) and I got a hold of the NTSC version of the game. This game refuses to run from the disc channel. The banner shows up but I get black screen after launching. I brickblocked it and used regionfrii to change it to Pal.

Now, I can run the game using NeoGammaR7 or backuploader 0.3gamma so the problem isn't really a problem but I'm pretty curious and I wanna know why I can't run it from disc-channel so I went ahead and tried to fix it. The same thing happened with GH5, I could run it with loaders but not from disc-channel before installing IOS56, so I figured there must be an IOS missing or something like that so I fired up wii-fit in wiiscrubber and took a look and the game contained most IOSes up to IOS36. I then installed dop-ios to check my versions, I had all the ioses that were on the wii-fit disc but I dop'd a few IOSes (I think I tried IOS36, IOS35, IOS21) but no luck.

So now I turn to you homebrew gurus to see if you have a solution to this or if you just think I should be happy the game runs through backuploaders. :> Also, the wii-fit channel won't run, it just says "This channel can't be used" but I read somewhere that it's because the game is NTSC and my wii is PAL, is that correct?

Cheers guys!

2. nabster92

Member nabster92 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Yes, it's likely due to it being a different region, you would need to use preloader or startpatch to enable a region free hack on your system.