Black screen and return to wii menu when starting a game

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by Megamooiemark, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Megamooiemark
    OP

Megamooiemark Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2019
    Netherlands
    Hi,

Yesterday I softmodded my Wii. I exactly followed the tutorials of techjames and now that I am done I got everything working except the games. Now I also installed the cios he recommended in his video and the games just won't start.

I tried using a different game and it didn't work either.

When I start the game it shows a black screen and sometimes it returns to the Wii menu automatically.

Can someone please help,
    Thanks already:))

2. Itsuki235

Itsuki235 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 13, 2019
    United States
    There seems to be an issue with the cIOS installation or the USB port in use. Remember to use the "bottom" one if the Wii is flat.

Just to verify, are you launching games from USB Loader GX? And does Nintendont for GCN games work normally? That can help rule out USB hardware related errors.

Use this guide for setting up cIOS, but only if it was different than the YT vid you followed. Then you need to tell USB Loader GX to load the correct cIOS for itself and for the

The meta.xml file to use is the one in the link above. It has some code that should say:
    Code:
                   <arg>--ios=250</arg>
                   <arg>--usbport=0</arg>
                   <arg>--mountusb=1</arg>

Then start "USB Loader GX" and go to "Gear (at the bottom left)-> Loader Settings -> Game IOS". It should say "249". Otherwise, edit it so it does.

Try starting a game again. They should be placed at: USB1:/wbfs/game [titleID]/[titleID].wbfs

Edit: There is a newer version of USBLoaderGX with the 480p fix available here. Download that version instead.

Last edited by Itsuki235, Jun 19, 2019
  3. Megamooiemark
    OP

Megamooiemark Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2019
    Netherlands
    I am using the bottom usb, and I have that cIOS installed. Now I was thinking, could the problem be that I am using a USB 3.0 from SanDisk??

I'll try to set up Nintendo'nt and come back if that works. and all the other things you said I already have set:)

4. Itsuki235

Itsuki235 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 13, 2019
    United States
    Oh flash drives. Those things have horrible compatibility. Half of them do not work at all under my testing.

Do you have a 2.5" mechanical HDD? Those are very reliable and can help diagnose if the issue is with the software configuration or that flash drive.