Black or White Cyclod DS?

Discussion in 'CycloDS' started by kevenka, Feb 18, 2008.

Feb 18, 2008

Black or White Cyclod DS? by kevenka at 1:42 AM (3,307 Views / 0 Likes) 20 replies

1. kevenka
    OP

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I am planning to get a Cyclod DS really soon...But I don't know which one I should get...Black or White? (I have a white DS) I heard the Black one is newer, therfor, more reliable, but I heard it also has the microsd sticking out...Then the white one which I heard gets damaged easily and may have some problems- making me use my warrenty or whatnot.... Could you guys give me some advice before I pick?
    Thanks in advance!
    Kevin

2. sueil

Newcomer sueil Advanced Member

United States
    Get the black. The white ones are old and defective. On my black one the microsd sticks out like 1mm you don't even notice it and actually makes it easier to get the card out.

3. Hyperlisk_

Member Hyperlisk_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The white ones are not defective... I've had my batch 2 Cyclo forever, it hasn't broken on me yet... Not to mention the design for them got updated just like the black ones...

It just depends on your preference. Many people want black because it matches their DS.

4. johnchan

Newcomer johnchan Advanced Member

Apparently all white units these days are also the new hardware design. All of the older, fault prone units seem to have been sold already...

5. c2ironfist

Member c2ironfist GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    I don't understand how people can post in inaccurate information.

First of all: The latest hardware design comes both in black and white.

Second: The microSD sticks out from .5mm to 2mm (from my experience). I own two Black CycloDS Evos and both of mine stick out and I'm annoyed. The thing is though taking it out is a breeze one's you've worn it in so it doesn't need to stick out like that and I do notice it.

About the warranty apparently TC does not replace defective units anymore.

If you want a white one make sure to get the latest chip design.

6. sueil

United States
    The white ones also had their hardware update yes that's true. There is still the risk of getting an older batch though. However that risk is going down with each passing day. Also the batch 2 ones are the defective ones Hyperlisk_. They new hardware wasn't implemented until batch 4. Just because yours hasnt broken doesn't mean the old ones werent defective. Also c2ironfist you might not know which version of the chip you got until it arrives at your door. I suggested black because it's a 100% chance to get the 1.1 version hardware.

7. Hyperlisk_

Member Hyperlisk_ GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually, it's batch 3 that was really bad. There were many complaints on the CycloDS forum after batch 3 came out.

8. Salamantis

Member Salamantis GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Same here. I've had my batch 2 for a long time now, and it still works perfectly fine.

9. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    I'd take the white one. Reason? I just prefer it. I'm not sure if that's a good choice, since I have a black DS [​IMG]

10. sueil

United States
    Well I have a broken batch one to attest that they were bad that far back. Maybe not in as large of numbers though.

11. DarkAura

Member DarkAura Offline

Canada
    I have a white love it as it goes with my DS. Looks weird though, my entire DS is white except for the EZFlash IV. [​IMG]

12. APurpleCow

Newcomer APurpleCow Member

United States
    Best choice as of right now is the black, IMO. Even if you think white looks cooler, it has a chance of being a defect, and, well, style isn't all that important when something doesn't work.

13. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    They fixed all the problems with the defects with the latest batch..... Black or white, they're the same....

14. cutterjohn

Member cutterjohn GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Not necessarily, IIRC divineo and some other vendors that played pricing games and other shenanigans in December still had a bunch of white batch 3 Evolutions left. IIRC in January a user reported receiving a batch 3 Evolution from one of the vendors.

Best thing to do is ask, and if you're in the US just order from realhotstuff as their stock should ALL be batch 4, and OzModChips has all batch 4s now as well IIRC. Don't pay more for a black Evolution, as they should be the SAME price as the white and both should have identical hardware(as long as the white one is batch 4).

[EDIT]
    In any event all batch 4 Evolutions white or black should have a very LOW defect rate. The OzModChips guy reported one defective black Evolution out of a shipment of 500, which is pretty good... The batch 4 white Evolutions should have an identical defect rate as the hardware is identical, only the outer plastic shells differ, and then only in color.
    [/EDIT]

15. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    can someone please post pictures or link me to one showing the micro sd sticking out? cant believe its the 4th batch and didnt get fixed...

also id like to know if you can view your roms just by their filename, like on r4 ie., or are you stuck to icon listing (4 roms/page)?

greetings

16. MHx_scythe

Newcomer MHx_scythe Advanced Member

United States
    Let me grab my camera and I'll take some pics of the SD card sticking out. Like someone else said, it makes it easier to take out, and is not noticeable when you're playing at all.

EDIT: Ok, 2 pics and a short film.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. kevenka
    OP

Member kevenka GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Interesting...So far...Either is good...they are both apparently equal?

18. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    so it doesnt matter right?
    just depends on your preference over white or black?

19. sk3tch

Member sk3tch GBAtemp Fan

United States
    CycloDS stock sells out quickly...so it is unlikely that if you bought a white one you'd end up with one that was manufactured prior to December 2007 (previous, problematic generation of the card).

So yeah, get either black or white. Whatever you prefer. If you want to be 100% safe, get black.

20. tinymonkeyt

Member tinymonkeyt GBAtemp brat

United States
    thanks sk3tch :]
    you answered my other question too!
    yeah i bought a cyclods TODAYY. a black one. just in case [​IMG]