Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gallery_177066_262_3952.jpg

The long-in-the-making fan tribute to the original Half Life game, Black Mesa Source, has finally been released.

The game is a complete, from the ground remake of the first game using the Source engine, unlike Valve's own Half Life Source. The project, in development for eight years, was considered all but dead until a recent resurgence not too long ago, confirming the project was alive and close to completion.

The original game, Half Life, was released in 1998. Its considered one of the most innovative and pioneering games of its time, as well as a major influence in the FPS genre. It follows Dr. Gordon Freeman, a theoretical physicist, as an experiment gone wrong threatens all of Earth with an invasion of aliens of unknown origin.

The game, while almost completed, lacks the "Xen" portion of the game, which is not simply being a level to level conversion. The original set of Xen levels was considered heavily disappointing by fans in the original game, and thus is getting a complete overhaul in the mod. A deathmatch mode, titled Black Mesa Deathmatch, is also planned.

The game is slated for a Steam Greenlight release, but for now the game is playable up until Xen. All you need is the Source SDK 2007, which comes with ownership of any Source game.

:arrow: Source (Contains Game and Soundtrack Downloads)

Reactions: 2 people

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Played it earlier and I must it's it looks amazing (compared to the original Half-Life, and even HL2, that is). I haven't got that far through but it's definitely worth playing, even if you've completed the original recently.

And if somehow you haven't played Half-Life, play this version instead of the original, it's better in every way. :yay:

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am almost done with the game now (due to the last two chapters missing) but it's soooo good. I like it better than Half-Life 2.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is it just me who thinks it'd be really funny if Valve sent the Black Mesa dev team a cease and desist form?

But yeah, this looks cool. I never actually played Half-Life so I'll likely play it this way

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it just me who thinks it'd be really funny if Valve sent the Black Mesa dev team a cease and desist form?

But yeah, this looks cool. I never actually played Half-Life so I'll likely play it this way

Valve's actually helping them Greenlight it. Generally Valve is excellent with their community, from current day stuff like this to the olden days of Blue Shift and Opposing Forces. Hell if it wasn't for the community built around Valve and its games, they would never be considered the huge, influential force they are today.

iFish

Slower than a 90s modem
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

Valve's actually helping them Greenlight it. Generally Valve is excellent with their community, from current day stuff like this to the olden days of Blue Shift and Opposing Forces. Hell if it wasn't for the community built around Valve and its games, they would never be considered the huge, influential force they are today.
I know that :P

Which is why I think it'd be extra funny if Valve canned this. But I know Valve is cool and woudln't

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I know that :P

Which is why I think it'd be extra funny if Valve canned this. But I know Valve is cool and woudln't

Well at this point I already have it downloaded and installed so Valve can do whatever they want. Plus it'll be internet immortal now that it's out in the wild.

Also, side note, but I'm hoping this does well. Maybe these guys will consider doing Blue Shift Source and Opposing Forces Source.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This game has completely dominated Reddit's gaming section, so it certainly seems to be taking off.

What the team has managed to accomplish is pretty damn impressive. So, guys, how about that Half-Life 2...

kedest

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
You don't even need an actual Source game, just the engine will do.
Just install Source SDK Base 2007 (from within Steam) and Black Mesa can run.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I'll wait for the greenlight release and if they do add a price tag i will do this
*throws money at the screen*
21533874.jpg

Their Greenlight page says it'll be free as long as you have access to Source SDK 2007 (which everyone should if they use Steam honestly).
They're most likely just trying to get it on Steam so they can utilize Steam's content download system as well as other various Steam features.

omgpwn666

Guy gamer and proud!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I almost feel sick as I go through the game, looking at ALL the work they're doing... for free. I rather it have been like $5 bucks, just so that I could feel better about playing this. Just gonna donate for sure, they deserve that.

DarkStriker

GBAtemp's Kpop lover!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Norway
I almost feel sick as I go through the game, looking at ALL the work they're doing... for free. I rather it have been like $5 bucks, just so that I could feel better about playing this. Just gonna donate for sure, they deserve that.
Well i guess if it makes a big hit valve will most likely do the same to what they did with CS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Musk sues Hyundai in 3... 2... 1...
    +1
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Fucking lame. Thread viewed 1000 times and only one reply that doesnt even answer what I asked.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    You could say the same for a couple or so threads that used to be popular, I guess.
    I mean. All I ask was for people to see if ONE, SINGLE website is working properly in edge. 1000 people see it but cant be bothered at all
    Ready to just leave this place anyway. The amount of shit talking and bullying behavior that goes unchecked is crazy. No where else do I see this shit towards me and others. Not even on reddit have I been talked to like I have here by other members
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, I did read the last sentence in your post by the way. Maybe try changing the privacy settings in your browser to standard if that works.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I've also heard that Chromium-based browsers will stop working with ad-blockers.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Please dont go we need you.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I really learned not to give a fuck what others do online it's helped ease my mind try it sometime.
    @SylverReZ That reply to you was when we werent on good terms. lol. I tried everything. Changing privacy settings etc.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Fuck Chromium. Firefox 4evar.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    (Firefox 4 now, anyway. Let's see if they pull some crap too.)
    +1
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    Netscape ftw
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Funny enough went to download chrome Bing gave error installed Firefox fine
    +1
    Thing is , the videos work fine in the Edge Dev and Canary builds. But whatever the fix they made was, has never been pushed to Beta or Stable builds. Its been that way for as far back as I tested. Which was Edge 84. They are on 125 now.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Yeah, and I was in quite a mood at that time. I would consider choosing Firefox or Opera instead, been using Firefox for over 7 years now than Chrome.
    Tried contacting Nintendo to see if they can reach out to MS about it. But Nintendo said the videos are working fine. Without enough people saying no, they don't work fine, it will never get fixed.
    I have Firefox and used it for many years. But Edge runs noticible faster on my pc at both opening and loading pages.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I don't think Nintendo will know anything about troubleshooting Edge. They mostly do technical support regarding their console family.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Tell them you downloaded their trailer without permission
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Good one, Ken.
    Right. But they could create a ticket that gets forwarded to the proper team. I think Nintendo would care that their videos aren't working on a major browser
    LOL K3N. HAHAH!
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: LOL K3N. HAHAH!