Hacking Black Jap Wii in an unsuable homebrew state. HELP

isamux

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hello everyone, thank you for taking the time to read this and perhaps assist me. This will be long and detailed and is the first that I've ever seen of this kind of problem. Hopefully some of you have seen it before and can help.

First, I have the new BLACK Japanese Wii that came preinstalled with 4.0J and has a serial number of LJF50***9

*History of what I've done *
I've managed to get HBC channel up and running and was beautifully following all tutorials for softmodding (not my first time) and all the steps worked out flawlessly. I've managed to install HBC, DVDx and preloader .29 and bootmii as an IOS (I didn't have a GC controller so I could not make a NAND backup). This was all done last night and I could run ANY homebrew app from the HBC. BUT I couldn't load any DVD(+/-)R backups, my Japanese originals worked fine. I've tried Gecko and various other loaders to no avail so I started messing with cIOS, installing various versions and nothing. Then I installed the cIOSCORP 3.3 and again nothing, installed the MIOS and no problems but still no back ups are loading. Then this morning I installed the cIOSCORP DVDx fix and that's when things started to go astray. I was no longer able to load up various apps, Wad manager no longer ran only a black screen, downgrade IOS didn't run and various others.

So I thought alright, let's update to 4.1J and I did though the Wii system (I can't read Japanese and it looked like it did, the firmware number did change) so I reset the Wii, preloader was still working and I'm still having the same issues. Next step I did was to try to get my system to a virgin state as best I could. I managed to uninstall preloader, wad loaded a 4.0J firmware used nandcleaner and got rid of the preloader and DVDx junk. I think a lot of cISOCORP stuff is still on there.

* steps I've tried *
I've tried to follow any of the guides again using the the bannerbomb exploit, go to Wii, memory management, channels and SD and load. When it loads, it says there are no exploitable IOS found and will not continue the installation. Check for the latest version if you are on it, then you're screwed

Alright, since I still have HBC installed, I'll continue from there, so I go in and load up the Trucha Bug Restorer and select IOS36 (even skipping with B) and downgrade IOS15 (both online and offline) and I get the following error: Step 1: Set the revision to 0, Step 2: Install IOS with low revision, preparations complete, A to continue, Installing ticket.. Setting the revision to 0... ERROR: ES_AddTitleStart returned -1035, maybe you need an updated Downgrader, ERROR: could not set the revision to 0, downgrade fail.

BUT before I was able to do this on the virgin 4.0J Wii, now no longer.

I try to get the next steps done but of course the chain of events won't happen as this first step won't work.

When I try to wad load anything, Wad Manager freezes if I try to use any IOS other than 249. and still some apps won't load, just sits frozen on a black screen.

I'm at my wits end here as to what to try next, I seem to have perhaps the most unmoddable Wii! I've not tried to go any lower than 4.0 and have only stuck with the Japanese firmware. I'm very tempted to temp fate and try to install a US firmware. But I'm looking for other potential options first.

As it stands now, I've got HBC installed and running 4.0J with limited homebrew access and perhaps a whole mess of hidden cIOS leftover from cIOSCORP.

Has anyone seen this kind of trouble before? can anyone offer any real suggestions or a fix? Any help is appreciated.

Thank you.

Deviyl

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've no idea where you went wrong, but seeing as uninstalling things isn't necessary, I'd suggest you try to go back to the beginning of a guide and try again. Anything you do will overwrite whatever is there, so it should work.

I'm not sure what effects having already installed cioscorp will do though. Have at the guide in my Sig below.

kLiNiKaL

Dr. Greenthumb
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
dude slow down installing and messing with stuff, first of all you didnt mention at any point installing a cIOS at 249 to begin with

did you do this?

you really need to get a bugged IOS in there, try using the Comex IOS35 DVDx method its basically the same as TBR but a diff app

see how you go.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
isamux said:
Well, non of my backups would boot so I thought perhaps I was missing something. So I installed the cIOSCORP... I truly regret that now.
yea not to flame you but bad decision sir.

try either mine or Deviyl's guide and see if get any success?

EtherealX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My car wouldn't start this morning, I rubbed some cioscorp on it and it blew up. :<

I don't see anywhere in the original post where you state what cIOS you installed. Wanin's 249, Hermes 222/223?

isamux

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks Deviyl, I couldn't get past first part, of loading the SD and booting the boot.elf of the bannerbomb, I've tried the other bombs and no go.

Next step I will try to find/install the Comex IOS35 DVDx trick...

EtherealX I initially followed the steps of the SIMPLISTIC MOD by xzxero and it worked like a charm but I sitll couldn't boot any backups. So whatever IOS where installed through that, I have/had. I know for sure that I installed the Hermes 222 and 223(combined, 36+37)

Doesn't going though a tutorial automatically install a IOS249 ?

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Try Trucha Bug Restorer with ALL your IOS(except IOS4), and try to install a fully patched IOS36 as IOS36(you hopefully don't need the IOS15 downgrade). THEN use AnyTitle Deleter to delete IOS249, and do a clean reinstall of cIOSrev14. After doing this you are able to fix your problem. Use WAD Manager(IOS249) then to overwrite EVERY IOS except IOS36, IOS60 and IOS61 with a fresh clean latest version of nintendo's IOS. If you get -1035 in THAT process with any IOS wad, uninstall the IOS wad and try again(only uninstall if you reinstall without exiting WAD Manager!).

kLiNiKaL said:
dude slow down installing and messing with stuff, first of all you didnt mention at any point installing a cIOS at 249 to begin with

did you do this?

you really need to get a bugged IOS in there, try using the Comex IOS35 DVDx method its basically the same as TBR but a diff app

see how you go.

I doubt that will work, because the IOS30v1040 is known to not work on new Wiis.

daknight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Just letting you know that you CAN control Bootmii to do a NAND backup without a Gamecube control. You can use the buttons on the wii (the power, reset, eject buttons). Power cycles around the options while reset act like the 'start' button. I only have a wavebird which doesn't work with Bootmii, so I had to use the face buttons on the Wii to control bootmii.

isamux

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
WiiPower said:
Try Trucha Bug Restorer with ALL your IOS(except IOS4), and try to install a fully patched IOS36 as IOS36(you hopefully don't need the IOS15 downgrade). THEN use AnyTitle Deleter to delete IOS249, and do a clean reinstall of cIOSrev14. After doing this you are able to fix your problem. Use WAD Manager(IOS249) then to overwrite EVERY IOS except IOS36, IOS60 and IOS61 with a fresh clean latest version of nintendo's IOS. If you get -1035 in THAT process with any IOS wad, uninstall the IOS wad and try again(only uninstall if you reinstall without exiting WAD Manager!).

kLiNiKaL said:

did you do this?

see how you go.

I doubt that will work, because the IOS30v1040 is known to not work on new Wiis.

Hi WiiPower (or anyone else), you said to try the Trucha Bug Restorer on ALL my IOS, how do I go about's doing that? The first option when loaded is to Select which IOS to load (or B to cont without IOS reload) so for examples I choose IOS3 and the continue and it doesn't is just freezes... So I tried IOS9 and got through and am at the menu that says IOS36/IOS37/Downgrade IOS15/Restore IOS15/show boot 2 info... what next?

would I try to install a patched IOS36 as a wad? if so then in WadManager would I choose to load IOS249 to install?

Thanks again I appreciate everyone's input. There's a lot of new ways that I could try that I would not have though of myself. THANKS!

PS: daknight, I tried the power and reset in BootMii and it didn't work for me... thanks.

xzxero

♥bong milk does good for the brain♥
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
daknight said:
Just letting you know that you CAN control Bootmii to do a NAND backup without a Gamecube control. You can use the buttons on the wii (the power, reset, eject buttons). Power cycles around the options while reset act like the 'start' button. I only have a wavebird which doesn't work with Bootmii, so I had to use the face buttons on the Wii to control bootmii.
thats only on wii's that have bootmii installed as boot2.
newer wiis cannot.

WiiPower

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
daknight said:

No, in BootMii IOS, there's no full hardware access for the ppc yet.

QUOTE(isamux @ Aug 13 2009, 08:48 AM) Hi WiiPower (or anyone else), you said to try the Trucha Bug Restorer on ALL my IOS, how do I go about's doing that? The first option when loaded is to Select which IOS to load (or B to cont without IOS reload) so for examples I choose IOS3 and the continue and it doesn't is just freezes... So I tried IOS9 and got through and am at the menu that says IOS36/IOS37/Downgrade IOS15/Restore IOS15/show boot 2 info... what next?

would I try to install a patched IOS36 as a wad? if so then in WadManager would I choose to load IOS249 to install?

Thanks again I appreciate everyone's input. There's a lot of new ways that I could try that I would not have though of myself. THANKS!

PS: daknight, I tried the power and reset in BootMii and it didn't work for me... thanks.

Oh, IOS3 is another IOS that won't work, just try them all. You need the IOS36 to be able to use AnyTitle Deleter, and it will also allow to run the cIOS installer. And it's a clean IOS that unlike the IOS you installed won't cause trouble.

isamux

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Okay, so I chose IOS9 and then went in and chose IOS36, said yes to everything and then it was successful.

Now I'm able to run Anytitle Deleter, I went in and deleted IOS249, any other IOS I should delete, I've got quite a few over 200, I know those aren't natural... IOS 201, 222, 223, 250 and 254.

Now I installed cIOSrev14 using IOS36 which will be installed as IOS249, network installed and it was a success!

On to the next step, overwriting all the IOS (except the mentioned ones)... ummm, any easy way? use NUS or to officially update??

azeazezar

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Use nus.
And don't expect to run backups on it, ever, since it has a new dvd-drive that doesn't read burned dvd's.
Use usb loader or something.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: I hate myself