StrayGuitarist

A genuine feline disaster.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, so..

I've never had a lot of money, so Black Friday is always a momentous occasion for me.

Something is heartwarming about seeing so many people all excited about getting all of the stuff they love, people getting stuff they normally couldn't afford, and people getting pumped to actually go out and support brick-and-mortar stores.

I'm curious what you guys are hoping to see on sale this year, or if you guys have any special memories of picking something up on Black Friday...

..Or if you've never heard of the holiday before, and this is all just confusing nonsense, I'm willing to hear your guesses about what it's all about (No cheating!) :rofl2:

My budget this year is about $60 US, and I'm hoping for two things primarily. Cheap Pokemon TCG boosters or boxes, used RPG books, and refurbished game consoles. I feel like this year, the main consoles are gonna be the 3DS, PS3, and Wii U. Which is perfect considering the hacking scenes for all three :D

Reactions: Alexander1970

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Has there ever been a good deal on such things? Give or take 3 shops somewhere maybe selling a couple of items at cost and calling it a deal, said items often being crap they can't sell or maybe just maybe a tiny loss leader.

As of a few years back the UK seemed to want to try adopting the holiday but nobody really gets it and it is a farce here. If I visit the US it is usually in time for it (far cheaper flights if you go at the end of summer) and again nothing of interest seems to happen. You get some prices raised in the weeks leading up and then dropped back down normal but we are calling it sale.

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Has there ever been a good deal on such things? Give or take 3 shops somewhere maybe selling a couple of items at cost and calling it a deal, said items often being crap they can't sell or maybe just maybe a tiny loss leader.

As of a few years back the UK seemed to want to try adopting the holiday but nobody really gets it and it is a farce here. If I visit the US it is usually in time for it (far cheaper flights if you go at the end of summer) and again nothing of interest seems to happen. You get some prices raised in the weeks leading up and then dropped back down normal but we are calling it sale.

Eh, sometimes you get a genuinely good discount on stuff, but it's not all that common. More often than not, the best Black Friday deals are ones on used stuff. Buy one get one free on used games is common, usually pre-owned/refurbished consoles get cheap (This year, on this side of the pond, Gamestop is doing Xbox 360 consoles for $39.99, so that's pretty neat), and I heard Walmart is doing a deal on 40" 4K Roku smart TVs for $98 (about £77) or so, which is a damn fine deal considering they tend to retail for $298-498 (about £233-£387), so even though I can't capitalize on it, I'm sure my grandparents will, considering their Plasma TV is turning 13 years old this year, and they're getting quite fed up with how much it's been falling apart..

Anywho, there is a lot of junk to sift through. Lots of people raising prices before dropping them back to their regular cost and calling it a "sale", lots of "X% off of a purchase of $Y or more!" coupons that try to goad you into spending enough to make back whatever they're losing.. And who can say if the "good" deals are even really good at all? It's just a fun thing to do for those who can.

..Although I'm not expecting much with just $60. The most I can hope for is some Pokemon and MTG boosters :D

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Every year I get super sick working or shopping on Black Friday, so this year I am only working on Black Friday and got the flu shot to hopefully not get sick again.

Last edited by The Catboy,

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Every year I super sick working or shopping on Black Friday, so this year I am only working on Black Friday and got the flu shot to hopefully not get sick again.

Oof, here's hoping you can dodge the bug this year. I've already come down with a light cold, but it seems to be passing.. (Hopefully it's gone by Sunday, I don't wanna miss D&D!)

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: RIP Akira Toriyama
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Oof, here's hoping you can dodge the bug this year. I've already come down with a light cold, but it seems to be passing.. (Hopefully it's gone by Sunday, I don't wanna miss D&D!)
Last year I got the flu shot and stayed home before working, I didn't suffer any illness. My immune system is a bit meh, so I tend to need to be careful around large groups of people

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you talking about the pre-Black Friday prices or the actual Black Friday? How about the after Black Friday sales? What about Cyber Monday or the following Cyber Week? It's an overblown consumer shit show. I've never bothered looking up the deals for the day or ever plan to. It's actually quite a new scheme the industry has worked up and I've no need to wait in long lines and deal with crazed hoards to buy overpriced Chinese shit. If you're falling for it fine. It's your money. I'm not going to tell you what you can or cannot do with it. You just won't find me wasting my money just because everyone else is telling me to.

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So far im only going to get a 400GB msd for the switch, will probably be around $30-35 for sandisk or samsung im guessing
I've been eyeing other things like a kindle oasis 3 but they are only putting the last gen 2017 models on sale.

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you talking about the pre-Black Friday prices or the actual Black Friday? How about the after Black Friday sales? What about Cyber Monday or the following Cyber Week? It's an overblown consumer shit show. I've never bothered looking up the deals for the day or ever plan to. It's actually quite a new scheme the industry has worked up and I've no need to wait in long lines and deal with crazed hoards to buy overpriced Chinese shit. If you're falling for it fine. It's your money. I'm not going to tell you what you can or cannot do with it. You just won't find me wasting my money just because everyone else is telling me to.

I mean, if you wanna have your generic Dead Kennedies "Wake up sheeple" mentality and be a dick about stuff people have fun with, go ahead, but I really don't know what you plan to accomplish other than piss people off.

And, honestly, I must note, if you think you're being an individual and breaking out of the crowd by protesting Black Friday/Cyber Monday and whatnot, and "spreading the anti-consumerist word", you really aren't anything original at all.

..anywho..

So far im only going to get a 400GB msd for the switch, will probably be around $30-35 for sandisk or samsung im guessing
I've been eyeing other things like a kindle oasis 3 but they are only putting the last gen 2017 models on sale.

I didn't even know you could get 400GB of storage on the Switch at all. Huh.
And interesting choice with the Kindle, but greatly respected- having a dedicated device for reading eBooks is really useful.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I mean, if you wanna have your generic Dead Kennedies "Wake up sheeple" mentality and be a dick about stuff people have fun with, go ahead, but I really don't know what you plan to accomplish other than piss people off.

And, honestly, I must note, if you think you're being an individual and breaking out of the crowd by protesting Black Friday/Cyber Monday and whatnot, and "spreading the anti-consumerist word", you really aren't anything original at all.

I really like playing Lemmings, but I was never good at actually finishing any levels. I'd just sit back and watch them all fall off a cliff. It gave me great pleasure.

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really like playing Lemmings, but I was never good at actually finishing any levels. I'd just sit back and watch them all fall off a cliff. It gave me great pleasure.

I never played it, didn't seem like the kind of game I'd really be into.

As of watching AI-controlled characters sacrifice themselves, I was always more into being a sadistic asshole playing the first Sims game.

cots

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm not an individual and breaking out of the crowd, but part of a group of people that laugh at your hypocrisy regarding flocking to the stores in droves on a yearly basis to purchase cheap Chinese garbage made by Child Slave Labor with a highly destructive environmental impact to come home and use said devices for countless hours eating up precious energy to go online to harass and slander others who have different viewpoints then you have demanding they change the way they live to offset climate change, stop slave labor or the abuse of the workers used in such schemes. To top if off you could be donating your money to charity groups that feed the homeless, take care of our veterans or help victims of illegal immigration. So yeah, I'm not alone and damn proud of it. Enjoy your cheap Chinese junk that you're not actually getting a discount on, because by this time next year it'll probably be outdated junk or not even functional anymore and you'll have to "upgrade" or buy the same shit over again.

Last edited by cots,

Joe88

[λ]
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oasis 3rd gen went on sale (unadvertised) for $100 off so grabbed it, also got a case to go with it ($5 off)
2x echo show 5's to give as gifts ($80 off)
and the gold shovel knight amiibo, not on sale but people are going to be scalping them like the gold mario amiibo, and I never got the regular shovel knight one so this will do nicely

Microsd prices were terrible, only $3 off, so going to hold off until cyber monday to see if prices are any better.

aboFXM9.png

boTddTs.png

Last edited by Joe88,
Reactions: StrayGuitarist

StrayGuitarist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oasis 3rd gen went on sale (unadvertised) for $100 off so grabbed it, also got a case to go with it ($5 off)
2x echo show 5's to give as gifts ($80 off)
and the gold shovel knight amiibo, not on sale but people are going to be scalping them like the gold mario amiibo, and I never got the regular shovel knight one so this will do nicely

Microsd prices were terrible, only $3 off, so going to hold off until cyber monday to see if prices are any better.

Very nice, caesar-chan! I ended up getting a few Pokemon boosters, one MTG booster, two card cases, a set of 100 sleeves, and an Yveltal GX for one of my decks for about $20.

Then at a local game store called the "Movie Outlet", I picked up Midnight Club 2 for original Xbox, Sonic & Mario at the Olympic Games, and a big 'ol chocolate bar for $4.

And at Gamestop, I got Tempest 4000, Call of Duty WWII and Final Fantasy Type-0 HD for about $20. I really like Tempest 2000 and wanted to pick up 4000 (which I've been really enjoying), and the only reason I'd buy a Call of Duty game ever is because of the Zombies mode (a bit of a guilty pleasure for me), and was sort of curious to see how the Zombies mode had changed after Black Ops 2.

As of Final Fantasy Type-0, it just looked interesting. I've always liked Final Fantasy, and never played that one before. Now I just gotta wait for everything to install and update..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over