Hacking Black Fin-game sharing device for PS Vita

lzyslckr

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The site updated.

News Update! We have been hard at work finalizing the BlackFin software the past few months. We are pleased to announce that this is now complete and the BlackFin hardware system is now available to order with immediate shipment available :) We have uploaded the BlackFin-1.0 software package and the BlackFin user manual to the downloads section. Samples are being sent to review sites over the next few days, so you can expect to see reviews appearing on related sites in the coming days. Resellers may contact us to reserve stocks or place an order

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The guide and software is up. Last line is interesting

BlackFin is currently supported up to PS Vita Firmware 3.57. We are currently developing support for Firmware 3.60. Please do not update your console past 3.57 FW in the meantime.

tuxdude143

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Urgh, kinda bummed this thing actually turned out to be real if I'm being honest because the highly limited game piracy is something the vita really had going for it so if this thing works it will be a real slap to the gonads tbh.
However judging by what has been mentioned the system actually doesn't do any form of firmware modification so really it isn't going to take the vita any steps forward in terms of getting homebrew going.
I mean if it unlocks new doors for homebrew then that is cool but with new doors for homebrew comes new doors for piracy which is something the vita doesn't really need.

As for me? I'm gonna pass on one of these. I'd rather pay for my games and support the devs

Vlad_78

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The Sony as always will quickly patch this device has not released anything for vita and even a promotion in Flash sale psn that are discouraging to the console

It came from my prime gram using fuckstaka

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thing is complex. Basically it in order to have access to games, people around the world need to keep their Fin Server online at all times with their actual cards plugged in. It would essentially be an honor amongst thieves thing, where pirates would need to hang onto their hard to find games, and keep them in their 7 card slot for the benefit of other thieves.

Also there is no explanation as to whether or not one physical game card can only be used to authenticate one player at one time. If this is the case, it would nearly impossible to find a rare game slot that is available to you for play.

In the history of piracy, this has got to be the most convoluted piracy device ever built. Congrats to Cobra for figuring it out and actually carrying it through.

Lets see how this turns out.

In order for this to work in the beginning, Cobra would need to essentially keep a massive catalogue of every PSVita Cart ever released in some massive swarm of Fin Servers hidden somewhere in a barn in Sweden and pray that Sony doesn't come to the barn.

Good luck.

Last edited by KSP,
Reactions: [^Blark^]

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
From the existence of the "in use" label, we can surmise that only one person can play at a time. So:
  • One person at a time
  • Only supports <= 3.57
  • Costs $115 (+ shipping)
  • Only supports 7 games at a time
Yeah, I imagine it'll be a smash hit /s

Reactions: [^Blark^]

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Urgh, kinda bummed this thing actually turned out to be real if I'm being honest because the highly limited game piracy is something the vita really had going for it so if this thing works it will be a real slap to the gonads tbh.
How does the existence of piracy on a console affect your enjoyment of the console whatsoever? It's not like the "game thieves" are literally stealing the games from other Vita owners such as yourself.
From the existence of the "in use" label, we can surmise that only one person can play at a time. So:
  • One person at a time
  • Only supports <= 3.57
Hopefully people will see the pricetag and think to themselves "I could get in on that! I'll try hacking the console to see if anything comes of it."

Last edited by Pedeadstrian,

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
  • One person at a time
  • Only supports <= 3.57
One game at a time would essentially kill this thing from day one. Unless Cobra has invested in a massive library of cartridge servers somewhere in Sweden. lol But the "In Use" icon could be only lit when a cartridge is being authenticated, once authenticated, you should be able to use the same cartridge to activate another user, so maybe its only In Use briefly during the initial boot and frees up the card when game is active.

Another thing is expecting Pirates to actually buy games to share with other pirates. That's expecting too much of humanity. Well, this will finally settle the question of "Do Pirates Actually own all the games they pirate?" The ageless claim, that people actually buy the games that they steal is being put to the test.

Last edited by KSP,

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One game at a time would essentially kill this thing from day one. Unless Cobra has invested in a massive library of cartridge servers somewhere in Sweden. lol But the "In Use" icon could be only lit when a cartridge is being authenticated, once authenticated, you should be able to use the same cartridge to activate another user, so maybe its only In Use briefly during the initial boot and frees up the card when game is active.

Another thing is expecting Pirates to actually buy games to share with other pirates. That's expecting too much of humanity. Well, this will finally settle the question of "Do Pirates Actually own all the games they pirate?" The ageless claim, that people actually buy the games that they steal is being put to the test.
Yeah, and also I think a big use case of piracy is playing games that are less known or if you don't know if you'll like or not. I bet everyone has Uncharted, Wipeout, etc and those will be the only games shared lol. If it wasn't so expensive, I would totally use it just amongst friends--I don't see this as any more unethical as me physically handing my carts to my friends.

EDIT: Reading the guide, it seems like a card is assigned to an emulator card and not just for inserting it. The server lists how many cards are "online" and it seems like once you've launch it, it decrements the number of online cards.

Last edited by yifan_lu,
D

Deleted User

However judging by what has been mentioned the system actually doesn't do any form of firmware modification so really it isn't going to take the vita any steps forward in terms of getting homebrew going.
I mean if it unlocks new doors for homebrew then that is cool but with new doors for homebrew comes new doors for piracy
You do know Rejuvenate (native Vita homebrew) is a thing, right?

cearp

瓜老外
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Tuvalu
the fact it is patched prevented in 3.60, that's great for sony...
with the ps3, sony did patch out odes like cobra, making them harder and harder to use (swap disks etc) - and the current fws they just don't work at all.
if the blackfin was perfect it would just work, but these things are so complicated and sony has the upper hand, because they can make their cart checking more strict or something i guess.
unless blackfin has it perfect it will be patchable. (which is a shame i think, sony, just let me use it easily ;))

Last edited by cearp,
Reactions: tuxdude143

RitchieRitchie

Trophies
XP
Country
As someone who has two ps vitas on 3.60 the Black Fin team could have let us know not to upgrade a bit earlier! Not too bothered to be honest, it sounds like a lot of hassle.

Cinnamon

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Sounds like the "in-use" is a mark for whether the Blackfin Reader(fin-thing) is reading data from the cartridge or not.

Backup installation and running already works on the Vita where you can load backups from the memory card, but for the authentication you need the real retail card. The limitation so far is that you have to authenticate (use real cartridge) after each reboot. And it only holds one authentication at a time. That's happening during the popup thing you see each time you insert a game into the Vita.

Since this Fin doesn't seem to temper with the FW, it should have the same limitations. You can also only authenticate one game at a time so this Fin will most likely only support one game at a time with each game swap requiring a new authentication.

Not very portable I must say.

And it's even patched out in FW 3.60.
This device only acts as a wire for the authentication so all they have to do is to check the timestamp for the handshake etc. to block it.

Last edited by Cinnamon,

KSP

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sounds like the "in-use" is a mark for whether the Blackfin Reader(fin-thing) is reading data from the cartridge or not.

Backup installation and running already works on the Vita where you can load backups from the memory card, but for the authentication you need the real retail card. The limitation so far is that you have to authenticate (use real cartridge) after each reboot. And it only holds one authentication at a time. That's happening during the popup thing you see each time you insert a game into the Vita.

Since this Fin doesn't seem to temper with the FW, it should have the same limitations. You can also only authenticate one game at a time so this Fin will most likely only support one game at a time with each game swap requiring a new authentication.

Not very portable I must say.

And it's even patched out in FW 3.60.
This device only acts as a wire for the authentication so all they have to do is to check the timestamp for the handshake etc. to block it.
The question is can you use 1 cartridge to authenticate millions of isos? Or is 1 cartridge locked into only being able to launch 1 iso.

This make a world of difference on whether this device will succeed or fail.

If 1 real cart can authenticate every single iso on the Fin Server worldwide, then all Cobra needs to do is simply buy a physical copy of every Vita cart in the market and keep them all locked up in a massive Fin Server farm somewhere in a neutral country. This way customers would essentially have access to every game on vita's library, albeit you might need to wait for authentication.

But if 1 cart can only authorize 1 iso on the server, then this device would be useless. Since you will never find an unused slot of a game you wanna play since it'll most likely be occupied by another gamer.

The big question is, how many isos on the server can a single game card authenticate?

Last edited by KSP,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs