Hacking Black CycloDS: MicrSD Flush in for anyone?

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello CycloDS Evo owners
smile.gif

Well I received my Black Evo today and despite pictures and comments about the microSD slot not being perfectly aligned and sticking out at about .5mm, I went ahead and bought one anyways to test out.

So my question is, does anyone have one that is black or new the model CycloDS that has the MicroSD flush that isn't sticking out?

Mine looks exactly the same as the pictures that were posted by TC. Other than cosmetic issues, it runs fine, I'm carrying on with my comparisons and tests with this card, so I'll post the info up later for those like me who like to know stuff like that lol.

Please post which one you have. I personally like the black color, its really nice and the sitck isn't bad either, my only gripe is the ugly micro SD slot.

Jimmy

Kaos

Good show!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
There's a topic about this on the TC forums here.

I don't have a Black CycloDS, but it appears that the MicroSD card sticks out on most of them. I suppose it's a fair trade if the CycloDS doesn't break when you look at it anymore.

ubersk8kid

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.prizerebel.com
XP
Country
Canada
mine sticks out slightly too, but IMO I think its for the better, because I cant get at it usually. I have to use my nails (which I don't have a lot of) just to take out the micro SD card. Because it sticks out a little, I can get at it easier. (I liked my spring loaded M3. click, click-in and click-out)

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
honestly though, I like to be discrete about using a flashcard. When the micro SD slot is exposed the way it does, I just feel embarrassed at times.

I with the slot would look more subtle though.

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's a topic about this on the TC forums here.

I don't have a Black CycloDS, but it appears that the MicroSD card sticks out on most of them. I suppose it's a fair trade if the CycloDS doesn't break when you look at it anymore.

thanks for posting.... maybe if anyone that has a black cyclods that is flush would care to do some sort of trade
smile.gif
of course I'd pay a bit extra for one lol

vergessen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mine sticks out as well but we are talking a 1 to 2 mm. Also you have to really look at it when it is in a ds to notice it is not 100% flush. I personally like it like this since I can get the microsd out with ease.

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got a hold of a few of the new batch 3 CycloDS Evolutions, and only 1 of them have a MicroSD "sticking out", but I can't imagine it being more than half a millimeter. Frankly I am in love with the black one, it is sleek and beautiful.

Where did you get yours?

I'm interested in getting one that doesn't stick out

Jimmy

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
honestly though, I like to be discrete about using a flashcard. When the micro SD slot is exposed the way it does, I just feel embarrassed at times.

I with the slot would look more subtle though.

That's also one reason why I like EZFlash V's design.

I was thinking of getting the Eazflash V but there isn't much info about it, but the card is priced fairly well.

So far I'm happy with my R4 at the moment, would be happier if I had a flush microSD for my Cyclo lol

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Wow that must be a ton of work.

Not really. I have a nice soldering iron and a little bit of skill. You just heat one of the retention tabs while applying upwards pressure on the slot, and it'll come right out of the solder. Do the same thing to the other tab. The contact pins were a little more challenging, but I cheated and used a 1" wide flat blade ($80) to pop 'em off.

The hardest part for me was scraping the plastic away inside the Evo's case. I did it very slowly to prevent exterior damage to the housing.

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man your lucky.. I made another order for a black evo from a company here in Canada requested that they send me one that was flush they were nice.. I'm hoping to get it soon... and hoping that it is flush

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I live in Ontario way across the country from you. It's about 2 hours away from gamersection montreal and 5 hours away fron gamersection Toronto so I get speedy shipping from them whenever I purchase anything there
smile.gif

oh yhaa btw I just modded my Black CycloDS Evolution to make the microSD slot flush. It took several hours lol cuz I was being carefull... that and the fact it was my first time soldering anything.. I was quit fortunate that nothing went wrong though and am happy with the flush microSD slot lol.

THough I'm still planing on getting another Black Evo and hoping it will be flush this time when I get it in
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo" +1