Hacking Black CycloDS Evolution vs White CycloDS Evolution

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hey guys

When I first heard about the black CycloDS Evolution I quickly went online and ordered one for testing lol.
One of the main reasons why I didn't test it out sooner was because of price and the fact that there was only one color which was white and I'm not cool with that. So now that I only had one reason not to buy one I thought well one reason isn't enough for me to test out this card that everyone is raving about. So I will give it a shot and compare it once I get it in
smile.gif

So here are a few questions regarding the new colored flashcard. (black in this case)

Who owns both white and black?
For comparison purposes it would be great if we had input from a user who owns both white and black versions.

Performance:
Black vs white: does the new black one perform better or the same?

Build quality:
Which one is built better?
Has there been any improvements over the last batches?
Problems with the new color?
DOA?
I saw in another thread that the micro SD doesn't fit properly can anyone else confirm with with their Black CycloDS Evolution?

anyways my main concern is build quality as I'm sure I wouldn't be too worried about performance. That part about micro SD not fitting right concerns me quit a bit. How can you screw that up? lol

Anyways I'm awaiting responses
smile.gif

Jimmy

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was interested first hand in what people thought about the card. I already ordered one but I want to see what other users had to say. I like doing these comparisons lol.

I own a number of flashcards already its just nice to do a little survey to see what users are experiencing

gratefulbuddy

amateur lunatic
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got my black cyclo over the weekend. The micrsd fitment issue is more than just being off-center. It also has a more shallow slot so the microsd pokes out of the top by about 1-2mm. Its not a huge issue, but it is noticeable that the microsd does not fit in completely. I can't compare this to a white cyclo as I don't have one. My r4(w/spring) and RPG have no issues with the microsd.

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first one was DOA, which prompted me to buy a SCDS1 SDHC to use until I got it replaced. [EDIT] This was a white batch 3 Evo.[/EDIT]

They're sending me a new one, supposed to have been shipped yesterday. Hopefully it will be black(I asked for a black one). Either way it will also hopefully be a batch 4 build with the other Actel FPGA packaging, i.e. no more BGA which I am now sure was the primary cause of failure(failure of solder joints with the BGA package type).

I can, sort of make my DOA Evo work by using a paper shim, and it IS faster than the SCDS1, but I'm not using it because the shim is kind of a flakey solution and from other reports it still will eventually get worse and completely die on me...

I like the Evo.

As to other reports on the new batch, the OzModChip Store guy said that he got something like 500 of them and had tested 150 so far and all of them worked this time, so it DOES sound like the re-design fixed up the reliability problems.

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I just got my black cyclo over the weekend. The micrsd fitment issue is more than just being off-center. It also has a more shallow slot so the microsd pokes out of the top by about 1-2mm. Its not a huge issue, but it is noticeable that the microsd does not fit in completely. I can't compare this to a white cyclo as I don't have one. My r4(w/spring) and RPG have no issues with the microsd.

that shallow microSD slot is probably going to annoy me if its 2mm sticking out lol.
I'm surprised you used metric measurement
tongue.gif

cutterjohn

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a post from TC on the official forums in which they state that ALL new Evos (black and white) should all now be the same new re-designed hardware version...

c2ironfist

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
yhaa I read all that info on their page.. sounds like a good move on TC.

Once I get the card I'll finally get to see what everyone is all raving over.

If members here owned different batches including the new black batch with the new re-design we could
compare differences from the previous batch vs this batch to see what things that have been improved to things that got worse?
That users have experienced that is. The more feedback from users the better
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @SylverReZ, lol +1