Black bars with correct aspect ratio, or streched with not correct aspect ratio?

Black bars or no black bars, question is now?

• I dont care if it's streched as long as every pixel is filled (no black bars)

• I want every game to have correct aspect ratio (black bars)

Results are only viewable after voting.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
As title said...
So I'll boldly assume that all of you have wide screen panels (monitors or TV's)

You know how when you play those older 4:3 games they have these black bars on sides on a widescreen panels,
because wide screen was not a standard back than. So playing those games on a modern widescreen panels usually stretches the picture to fill the entire area.
However, that filling makes the picture to display incorrectly, stretched. Circle is not a circle but a ellipse.

I heard many people are not bothered by that, they even prefer it that way. I my self can never play a game that way unless its intended to be in 16:9 or at least close. It doesn't need to be prefect for me all the time, but i prefer CORRECT aspect ratio if i can. But 8:7 SNES games i prefer to play them in 4:3, they are stretched but by small amount and that's acceptable for me,
and also it gives this original vibe cause games where meant to be played in 4;3 anyway so its still a original experience sort of.

But the bottom line is this:
-Do you prefer correct aspect ratio or
-You aren't bothered AT ALL if the picture is stretched whatever amount of percent, as long as it fills entire 16"9 widescreen.
You don't want any pixel to be lazy!

Ill make a poll, please vote if you like, i'm really curious to see the results, its a fun experiment :)

By the way here are examples of what i mean:

aspect-ratios-1.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

c_dispsnd_aep_sformat_fsh_002.png

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
No, it's fine. As long as the tv is filled. Black bars are distracting. I have attention problems. :blink:
I see... so bars are the main problem, not the 4:3 aspect.

Yes i can kinda relate to that. i got annoyed by this question mark on Wiiu gamepad screen on GBA VC games lol its soo distracting.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There is also the progressively stretched thing (middle fairly normal, gets more and more stretched as you go to the edges), which looks better than straight stretched until a character walks arms towards the camera or off screen onto it.

Still give me bars. Black if you can but coloured is fine (had a TV that did grey once, not my favourite thing but worked), less keen on the slightly less saturated and blurred effect that seems to be popular these days with various video types (seen it all the time online in games circles) that and to handle the results of people suffering vertical video syndrome (even seen that one on the news).

Straight stretched or letterboxed is walk out the room time (marginally less for letterboxed, especially if done properly), can no longer my friend or anything like that. Combinations of the two (marginal crop coupled with a stretch) can be better but still walk out of the room time.

Being a filthy hacker though https://www.wsgf.org/ and various emulators and mods do afford other options.

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a neighbor with a DVD player connected to his HDTV with the picture set on zoom so all of his old movies fill up the screen. OMG! I cannot stand to watch a movie there.

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ok with minor stretches, some 16:9 games have small black bars anyway so it isn't "true" 16:9. I'm fine with stretching those out into full 16:9. But 4:3, hell no, that would look terrible.

mrnintendoguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It depends on the game to be honest. I played Mortal Kombat 2 on my SNES for the first time last week and it was in widescreen (stretched). I couldn't tell if it the SNES had widescreen output or what, but eventually figured out it was stretched (I'm dumb, I know). That game looked fine in widescreen. So yeah; depends on the game.

Reactions: MetoMeto

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
I used to stretch the 4:3 PSX games to fill the 16:9 screen on my PSP wheb I was younger, nowadays I can't stand how bad it looks and I wonder how I managed to ignore that

So basically Correct aspect ratio with black bars >>>>> Stretched video just to fill the screen

mrnintendoguy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to stretch the 4:3 PSX games to fill the 16:9 screen on my PSP wheb I was younger, nowadays I can't stand how bad it looks and I wonder how I managed to ignore that

So basically Correct aspect ratio with black bars >>>>> Stretched video just to fill the screen
I mean younger me didn't give a crap about how games looked, what the frame rate was, etc. All that matters is that the game was fun lol.

Reactions: AxlSt00pid

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Growing up with a GBA and a ton of GB/GBC games that could easily swap between proper aspect ratio and stretched, I quickly grew to prefer the stretched display. I can't think of an experience where it ever felt truly wrong. Like I get that initially it looks odd, but you quickly get used to the stretch, and soon don't feel anything is wrong with the display at all. I typically wont go out of my way to make a 4:3 game play in widescreen, but if I have the option to easily swap between 4:3 and stretched, I will often opt for the stretched display.

MetoMeto

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Zimbabwe
I have a neighbor with a DVD player connected to his HDTV with the picture set on zoom so all of his old movies fill up the screen. OMG! I cannot stand to watch a movie there.
letterbox for movies gives a special vibe...

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

When i play PSX games on my Vita i dont use 4:3 i strech to just the right amount, so its not to much streched and not to small. It kinda makes the picture looks bigger. its kinda a compromise i make there.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Calling for any available moderators to ban anyone who votes "stretched", ty.
lol

Shady Guy Jose

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I actually go a step further: especially in emulators, I am not okay with bilinear-scaled output, even in the correct aspect ratio. Give me nearest-neighbor scaling to the largest possible integer, even at the cost of small black bars on the top and bottom in addition to those on the sides, or I will pester you until you add that feature as an option (most modern retro emulators do this, and even Nintendo and Sony got that right in the Wii U VC for SNES games and the Vita PSX emulator, respectively).

Reactions: Minox

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
I actually go a step further: especially in emulators, I am not okay with bilinear-scaled output, even in the correct aspect ratio. Give me nearest-neighbor scaling to the largest possible integer, even at the cost of small black bars on the top and bottom in addition to those on the sides, or I will pester you until you add that feature as an option (most modern retro emulators do this, and even Nintendo and Sony got that right in the Wii U VC for SNES games and the Vita PSX emulator, respectively).
For older games with a set resolution this is the same route I like to go. For anything where resolution is variable but not widescreen I go with black bars of sorrow.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    ButterScott101 @ ButterScott101: +1