Bit Disappointed with the Cyclowiz

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by snorbitz, Feb 21, 2007.

Feb 21, 2007
  1. snorbitz
    OP

Newcomer snorbitz Member

Australia
    The Installation of the chip went pretty smooth, only 1 false start.... The flashing Led on the Cyclowiz indicated a problem with points A,B or C which i quickly spotted and Sorted....

I quickly closed up the Wii and plugged it in eagerly anticipating a plethora of new games to try before i buy...

Due to a graphics card going up in smoke, my main PC was out of commission, so my Toshiba Laptop burner was Initially used.

My results so far... [​IMG]

Rayman (Pi) Princo Media 4x burn Speed = Fail
    Smooth moves Princo Media 4x burn Speed = Fail

at this point i thought the laptop burner was not up for the job so i stopped for the night.

New graphics card fitted (8800 gts, mmmmm DX10) time to resume testing

Benq Burner (cant remember the Model at the Moment)

Rayman (Pi) Princo Media 2.4x burn Speed = Fail (It did recognize the disc initially, but then Died a DRE death)
    Smooth moves Princo Media 2.4x burn Speed = Pass/Fail - Game works, but FMV Stutters bad
    Red Steel Princo Media 4x burn Speed = Fail
    Red Steel Princo Media 2.4x burn Speed = Fail
    Red Steel Ritek Media 4x burn Speed = Fail

As you can see the coasters are starting to pile up. I am seriously not impressed with the cyclowiz [​IMG]

I am going to try and get some Verbatim discs today and try a few more combinations. If theses fail the cylcowiz will be in danger of being burnt at the stake for being a false profit!!!!

Stay tuned

2. iza

Member iza gbatemp, the new crack

United States
    i hate to say it, but duh!! if you jump on one of the first solutions available, it only common sense...
    i do feel for ya though, being led into this impulsive buy by unkept promises... good luck

glad i waited...

3. F-Ray

Newcomer F-Ray Member

Sweden
    You didn't mention if you're using DVD+R or DVD-R. If you use DVD+R you need to change the booktype, aka bitsetting to DVD-ROM.

4. Warm Woolly Shee

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Cyclowiz is not compatible with all games.

5. mikeosoft

Member mikeosoft GBAtemp Regular

United States
    that sucks, i can't believe that its not compatible with all games....

6. niklasnyfiken

Member niklasnyfiken GBAtemp Regular

Switzerland
    Use quality DVD-R media, such as Verbatim DVD-R 16x.

7. snorbitz
    OP

Newcomer snorbitz Member

Australia
    I tried so hard to resist being an early adopter, but i gave in to temptation and believed their "Updateable" Claims [​IMG]

Another lesson learned [​IMG]

8. kristijan08

Member kristijan08 GBAtemp Fan

Australia
    its not much surprise if its princo media, they are really really crap! get the verbatims and see what happens, but yeah wiinja > cyclowiz

9. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Media isn't really that important, it mathers somewhat, but most problems don't come from the media I believe. Blaming the media for all problems is all that the Cyclo team does, but at the same time they don't tell what media it should work with...

According to this topic Rayman (PI) and Call of Duty 3 (Wiierd) will not work with any media and others are having problems with all.
    Most of the problems with movies stuttering on CycloWiz happen because CycloWiz negatively affects the reading speeds of burned discs, while Wiinja and Wiikey read them at the same speed as originals.
    In-game DRE's seem to come from the DVD-Drive going to standby mode when not readed for a while when not having a real, but a copied disc in, this happens to both Wiinja and Cyclowiz.

"Bad" media can cause problems, but I think bad chips are more commonly the cause...

10. snorbitz
    OP

Newcomer snorbitz Member

Australia
    Managed to get some 16x Verbatim DVD-R's, i also updated my Benq DW1640 with the Latest Firmware

More Results

Red Steel - Paradox 4x Burn Speed = Fail
    Red Steel - Paradox 2.4x Burn Speed = Fail

[​IMG] Feel a bit silly now, Just noticed the Paradox release is NTSC not PAL.....DOH!!!!!!!!!! need to have a look for the PAL Release....... [​IMG]

Tony Hawks - Sushi 2.4x Burn Speed = Pass [​IMG]
    Rayman - Pi 2.4x Burn Speed = Fail

Thats all i have to test with at the moment [​IMG]

Still not too impressed but Hopefully Cyclowiz will come good on there promise of an updated..hopefully

11. g.crow

Member g.crow beide mittelfinger hoch

United States
    according to wiinewz.com team lieclops said there will be an update fixing the "reading too slow" issue within 1 week via update.

i guess thats the last thing we heard from them.

mars

edit: typo (the one i found with my zero to none english knowledge;))

12. shtonkalot

Member shtonkalot Can't hold on much longer, But I'll never let go!

Australia
    Try burn them faster. I get better results out of my 1640 with Verbatim 8X DVD-R when I burn them at 8X.
    Though that said I haven't tried any burns from my 1640 in the Wii and I use a Wiinja.

13. jhoff80

Member jhoff80 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Also, the Paradox Red Steel won't work work on your Wii no matter what. Its an NTSC release, you have a PAL console in Australia.

14. fsimonp

Member fsimonp GBAtemp Regular

Germany
    there are 3 games which dont work:

Spongebob
    Rayman
    Call of Duty

all other games are working well!
    ive got a cyclo and as i said all games exept the ones above are working very well and without issues!

15. monyt0ntherun

Newcomer monyt0ntherun Newbie

United Kingdom
    I have had a 100% success rate with all my games so far.

Mod Chip Cyclowiz, Datawrite and Ridata disc (DVD-R) burnt at x4 using Nero 7 on an NEC 3500 DVD.

Successful games for me are:

Supermonkey Ball
    Excite Truck
    Red Steel
    WiiPlay
    Zelda
    Warioware (ignoring the known stutter)
    and soon Kororinpa.

[​IMG]

16. gr33dy

Member gr33dy GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I don't have a Wii chip, but I would also HIGHLY recommend burning the discs at their rated speed. You do not want to burn high quality 16x media at 2.4/4x on a decent burner. The media has not been designed to be burned that slow. However, having said that, those 16x discs may burn best at 12x. The whole "burn at slower speeds" thing is a myth, and doesn't really apply to modern burners/media (unless both are REALLY terrible). Do what you what, but it's pretty clear that burning at those ridiciously low speeds is not working.

17. A|ex

Newcomer A|ex Newbie

United Kingdom
  18. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Actually better quality media such as Verbatim is 'certified' media, meaning it's DESIGNED to write at 1-16x so you CAN burn it at slower speeds. The point of a certified disc is that it will work with slower burns/drives, e.g. under TV DVD recorders which record in real time (1x).
    Cheaper media on the other hand will have a fixed burn speed and burning faster or slower than the rated speed isn't recommended or may not even work.

Agree with you regarding the speed myth, like you said unless you specifically need to burn at a slow speed e.g. for real time recording, as long as you have a decent drive and disc there isn't any benefit to burning at 2-4x than say 16x.

[​IMG]

19. brpn

Newcomer brpn Advanced Member

United States
    I use cheapy media and have never had a problem with my ntsc wii with cyclowiz reading it.

20. SASamuli

Newcomer SASamuli Newbie

Finland
    I have Benq DVD drive, Cyclowiz(not updatet) and TDK DVD-R 16x discs and games that work this far:

Heatseeker PAL
    Rayman PAL
    Zelda PAL
    Super Smash Bros Melee
    Super Mario Sunshine
    Dragonball Z BT2 Converted to PAL
    RES 4
    Sonic PAL
    Cooking Mama: Cook Off Converted to PAL
    Prince Of Persia Rival Swords PAL
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance PAL
    Wing Island PAL
    Excite Truck PAL
    SSX Blur PAL
    The Godfather PAL
    Super Paper Mario Converted to PAL
    Metal Slug Anthology PAL

All of them burned at 8x. Just cooking Mama getting DRE:s and thats only when trying to start the game and that happens about 50% of the time. Every other game working perfectly.