1. 4,485

Front-page
    anthem.jpg

In a blog post from yesterday, Casey Hudson, General Manager at BioWare, announced that the developers will rework on their sci-fi online shooter Anthem to "reinvent the core gameplay loop with clear goals, motivating challenges and progression with meaningful rewards". He has also admitted that "there’s still more fundamental work to be done to bring out the full potential of the experience, and it will require a more substantial reinvention than an update or expansion."

Released on February 22, 2019 Anthem had a bleak reception, with a score of 61 on OpenCritic and 59 on Metacritic. Not even a year after its release, the developers are already working on giving the game a massive overhaul " to bring out the full potential of the experience". Current players don't have to worry about their game going on hold as Hudson writes that "we will continue to run the current version of Anthem, but move away from full seasons as the team works towards the future of Anthem. We’ll keep the game going with events, store refreshes, and revisiting past seasonal and cataclysm content – starting with our anniversary towards the end of the month".

Do you think that Anthem will be reborn to give a more compelling experience like with Final Fantasy XIV and No Man’s Sky?

:arrow: SOURCE

2. Discussion (50 replies)

3. kumikochan

kumikochan GBAtemp Psycho!

Belgium
    They have a good base to built on so i'm sure that they can. Look at destiny 2, in the beginning it was also a way lesser experiencr compared to now

Prans likes this.
  4. smilodon

smilodon GBAtemp Regular

France
    Couldn't they just release a good game from the beggining?

5. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Dam for a second ther thought was bioshock news -add a proper single player mode then I'll buy it

6. Nobody_Important4u

Nobody_Important4u Just Another Shitposter

Poland
    No just no.

7. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    Who knows

Stealphie likes this.
  8. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Czech Republic
    Iron man simulator, but you can actually do something.

Stealphie likes this.
  9. Rahkeesh

Rahkeesh GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    If FFXIV can come back, anything can. Though usually it doesn't.

10. btaggs

btaggs Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Anthem represents the ultimate failure of games as a service. Instead of focusing on telling a great story and fun enemies, they focused on making a game as a service that could bleed you dry if you loved playing it. No one loved playing it so it failed on all levels. I did enjoy Destiny but I hate the fact that now companies want to make a game as a service instead of good game.

Xzi and VartioArtel like this.
  11. Engezerstorung

Engezerstorung GBAtemp Regular

France
    if only it was " BioWare to rework on 'Mass Effect Andromeda' with 'substantial reinvention' "

12. Godofcheese

Godofcheese Insane

Sweden
    Only if they gave andromeda a second chance.
    It was terrible ish but fixable.
    But noooo, why add Singleplayer dlc to mend the trash story?
    Let's fix anthem instead!

13. Fusion

Fusion On/Off GBA-Temp'er

Wow, heaven forbid they keep the "Shop" open so they can still get some Micro-Transactions happening. That's the part of gaming that needs to just die.

14. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    "If FFXIV could-" - For those of you using XIV as a comeback as to why this could work? It wasn't treated as a games as a service first, it was treated as a Final Fantasy with online connectivity. Yes, it has an online store, but it isn't ever at the forefront - you need to hunt it down on their gods damned website with no clue it even exists in-game.

Never compare XIV to this atrocity.

15. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Honestly, YouTube gave me so many Anthem ads that I just developed a deep hatred for it, I don't think I'll ever try it

MythicalData likes this.
  16. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer
    Reporter

United Kingdom
    Game developers, not miracle workers.

17. DANTENDO

DANTENDO I Won year sub Edge mag 1996 hot topic digitiser

United Kingdom
    Thers nothing wrong with a game being advertised if was yr company you'd do the same and a gaming ad surly everyone here would rather see than anything else they show

18. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal GBAtemp Guru

Portugal
    Personally, I don't enjoy seeing the same annoying ad every single time, but suit yourself.

19. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...
    Supervisor

Poland
    I'll be honest, I kind of enjoyed what little of Anthem I played - the gunplay felt good, the special attacks were meaty and flying the javelins was a lot of fun. Where the game bombed for me was server stability - just playing the game was a chore, and the somewhat generic Destiny copycat story model didn't help much. It's a game that really could've been great if it was released finished and polished, it needed a couple more months in the oven before release.

20. MasterJ360

MasterJ360 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

United States
    Never understood the FFXIV comeback it never needed one, its still 1 of the most popular mmo's out there. Ive been playing it since 2014

21. VartioArtel

VartioArtel GBAtemp Regular

United States
    It's basically schill logic.

"Well if FFXIV could come back from the atrocity of 1.0..."

But the issues between XIV and Athem are night and day. XIV's problem wasn't the lack of content (even though it didn't have a huge amount), it wasn't the lack of equipment, nor was it, surprise, a LACK OF CONTENT UPDATES. Hell, even now they got a damn schedule and you can predict patches to a T, and while the volume of content has gone down (less dungeons), the quality has skyrocketed for everything else.

XIV's problems were a horrible combat engine, graphics that were overkill/murder even by some of this generation's standards (POTS AS DETAILED AS A FULL CHARACTER), and it was EMPTY ZONES. Hell, their problem wasn't even Cash Shop!

Anthem's problem is the only thing good about it was flying. And even that was a joke compared to the E3 Trailer. It had cash shop hell. They put it front and center in the game itself. XIV has to my knowledge not once advertised the mogstation shop in-game in any fashion. And that difference alone can make a huge difference in fan devotion.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - substantial, reinvention, BioWare