BioWare To Make Sonic RPG!

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Hadrian, Jun 21, 2007.

Jun 21, 2007

BioWare To Make Sonic RPG! by Hadrian at 4:56 PM (1,905 Views / 0 Likes) 24 replies

1. Hadrian
    OP

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    Good golly aren't I'm in a thread posting mood today? Anyway IGN DS has just said this.

"Mark this one up as something totally unexpected - BioWare and SEGA have announced they're collaborating on an exclusive role-playing game for Nintendo DS starring Sonic the Hedgehog.

Currently without a name, this Sonic RPG is set for release in 2008. Simon Jeffery, president and COO of SEGA America said: "BioWare is one of the hottest names in RPG development in the world. Everyone at SEGA has huge confidence that Sonic is in the safest of hands, and that BioWare can create the ultimate handheld RPG experience for gamers of all ages."

Greg Zeschuk, president of BioWare said: "We're thrilled to be working with SEGA on Sonic, one of the industry's most enduring and compelling icons." Meanwhile, Ray Muzky, CEO of BioWare added: "As huge fans of Sonic ourselves, we're committed to delivering a truly amazing story-driven experience within the Sonic universe, focusing on capturing the character's broad appeal and placing him in a completely original adventure.""

Anyone remember Sega saying they were giving Sonic a little bit of a rest? Oh well BioWare are bloody great but I would rather they made an original RPG for the DS. There was an announcement that they were working on a DS RPG and I guess this is it.

In case you don't already know BioWare made such classics as the Baldurs Gates series, the Neverwinter Knights Series, MDK2, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. They are also working on the "god damn that looks good" 360 title Mass Effect.

2. fenthwick

Member fenthwick GBAtemp Regular

Sweden
    Great news I love BioWare's games but why sonic????? ;(

3. OrR

Member OrR Rice-megatron Expert

Germany
    Um... Sonic stories suck, so where is the point in making an RPG out of it? Isn't that one of the most stupid ideas ever?!

4. beautifulbeast

Member beautifulbeast GBAtemp Fan

Spain
    I'll kill myself the moment I hear they're bringing back that big, fat, r-tard, purple cat.

5. Strider

Member Strider Next to the mainstream

I suppose that's what people said before the Mario RPG SNES + Mario & Luigi GBA [​IMG]

6. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    well.. it could turn out good, who knows..

but man, a sonic game where it really focuses on the story doesnt sound good eh

7. fischju_original

Banned fischju_original I used to be a jerk before i got banned

United States
    I don't know why this thread deserves a "!" at the end of the title, unless followed by a "haha"

8. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    I was thinking about this too.

Nintendo teamed up with Square to do Mario RPG.

Sega teaming up with Bioware could be a very good thing.

Bioware could end up moving Sonic on to a good storyline.
    In a dramatic, but welcome twist, Big the Cat could be killed during a horrible boating accident.
    Then maybe Shadow and Silver and all the other Sonic clones could be sucked into a black hole. Never to be seen again.

9. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Yeah pretty much, I mean I thought that when I heard about Mario RPG's but that was done in a humourous way. Would BioWare go that route?

I'm hoping that it'll be more like the Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi games, in that its a Sonic platformer but with RPG elements and so on.

10. lagman

Former Staff lagman I wish I was green.

Mexico
    Bioware to make Sonic RPG

That deserves a "!" IMO

11. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    Thats what I thought when I did it.

12. AshuraZro

Member AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Canada
    God would that be sweet, sweet justice. Although Bioware can churn out plenty of awesomeness, is it really enough to negate the suckage Sega creates?

13. .TakaM

Member .TakaM .II

New Zealand
    I dont think humour would really fit in a sonic RPG, especially not the type in the mario rpgs.
    sonic's humour has always been lame crap like knuckles running too fast and tripping over, then sonic says some lame ancient pun [​IMG]

I think their best bet would be to just make the story without the sonic franchise in mind, and then throw the characters in, like a tongue in cheek story book telling way

14. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    Lol, you made me laugh up the ice cream that I was eating all over my monitor! >_>
    But yeah that would be a fantastic storyline!

The problem with a Sonic RPG is that the series just doesn't have many likeable characters. There's Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, possibly Amy and of course Dr Robotnik. I like Scratch and Grounder but I don't remember seeing them in a game since Dr Robotniks Mean Bean Machine?
    All those lame ass creations like Big the Cat, Blaze, Vector, Jet etc... really need to be flushed down the loo, or as Samutuz suggests into a big black hole.

Still I'll be looking forward to a Sonic RPG... okay it's not a platformer, but Bioware will do a much, much better job than Sega and Sonic Team have done for the last 10 years (with the exception of Sonic Advance and Sonic Rush).

[​IMG]

15. Hadrian
    OP

United Kingdom
    They would've been better off with a game featuring many SEGA characters but you played someone who wasn't...or perhaps Alex Kid.

16. Gilrad

Gilrad Newbie

I think the biggest wild card in all this is the fact that it's BIOWARE, an American company that is making the RPG. American and Japanese have very different philosophies when it comes to designing RPGs. I am quite literally at a loss as to any possible guess about how this will turn out, except that this won't be your average RPG. Hopefully the challenge ahead of Bioware will end up making the game better, as they're no doubt going to have to make some risky design choices.

17. kitehimuro

Member kitehimuro GBAtemp Regular

Hungary
    Let's see, anyone remembers that forgotten, obscure title that mixed Disney characters with Squaresoft RPG? [​IMG]

18. Albertoil

Newcomer Albertoil Advanced Member

United States
  19. SomeGuyGG

Member SomeGuyGG GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    I hate sonic [​IMG]

But Bioware has yet to make a bad game, so i'm looking forward to it!

20. SpaceJump

Member SpaceJump Where's my new 2D-Metroid?

Germany
    The fact that Bioware is making the game implies that it will be good!