BioWare head writer leaving BioWare.

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Nujui, Feb 20, 2012.

1. Nujui
    OP

Nujui I need something to do.

Aug 12, 2010
    United States
    Dreamland.

BioWare senior writer Drew Karpyshyn announced via his blog this week that he has left BioWare to focus on writing novels and other non-gaming works.

Karpyshyn said his departure from BioWare was "completely amicable, and 100 percent my decision." He said he enjoyed his run at BioWare but that it was "time to move on."

Source

Blog

2. Guild McCommunist

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Such a shame, there has been so much great writing coming out of the studio. Fortunately Mass Effect 3 is said and done so that won't suffer from his loss.

Although I wonder if his departure will affect Dragon Age 3. They dug themselves a big pit with Dragon Age 2 to dig out of and they'll need the Justice League of writers to return the franchises to its DA:O glory.

2 people like this.
  3. Midna

Midna Banned

Banned
    Apr 13, 2008
    Albania
    [​IMG]
    He got out while he still could

1 person likes this.
  4. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Was the Old Republic really that shitty?

Also, if Mass Effect 3 is somehow terrible, replace TOR with Dragon Age II. Different BioWare divisions I'm pretty sure but DA2 was such shit.

5. ferofax

ferofax End of the World

Jan 26, 2009
    Philippines
    i liked Bioware when they were still doing Neverwinter Nights. but then again, i'm a paper&dice DND player so, it might have been that.

6. AlanJohn

AlanJohn くたばれ

Jan 6, 2011
    Canada,New Jersey
    Is that ugly woman that hates video games still working there?

7. Vulpes Abnocto

Vulpes Abnocto Drinks, Knows Things

Former Staff
    Jun 24, 2008
    United States
    Urm

8. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    Sure, but he was and is writing quite a bit regarding the Mass Effect universe in general (ME1, ME2, books, novels, etc). Looking at the wikipedia article and owning quite a few of the books, I have to say that he is quite a writer.. Hopefully he'll continue with other ME related things like the surrounding universe ^-^'

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Karpyshyn

9. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    It's a shame, but at the same time, an opportunity. Bioware is a bit notorious for their archetypal characters (The shy geeky girl, the brooding loner, the Carth, etc.), so maybe some new blood in the writing staff can help.

10. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Bioware has WRITERS?
    The hell. Coulda fooled me, especially with games like Dragon Age.

11. C-Kronos

C-Kronos GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2010
    United States
    Okay, that comment is pushing it.. Dragon Age Origins was a great game, a love letter to fans of the RPG genre. However, DA2 was a crappy game that shouldn't have even had that title. Hell, it wasn't even a fucking sequel, not to mention the blatant performance issues at launch, which took them a long time to even care to patch it. Not to mention, there's still various issues with the game.

If you want to down anyone, go all out on Electronic "Arts" because they have ruined BioWare and ran them into the ground. BioWare use to be a well known dev sudio, and known for their great games such as KoTOR and Jade Empire.

2 people like this.
  12. Hells Malice

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Y'know I never actually got around to playing their older games like KoTOR and Jade Empire.
    I'm talking 2007+ since those are the games i've played (Well I played NN...), and i'm only talking from a story point of view. DA:O had a pretty average borderline boring story. The whole "choose your own adventure" tends to fall flat on its face as far as compelling story goes. But then again, I like games that tell me a story, not games that give me random options to choose from to fabricate a patchwork quilt of story.
    Basically, Bioware has no writers. I assume this is EAs fault. Hell, why pay writers when you can hire a trained monkey to do the same thing for a couple of bananas. Sure the quality isn't good at all, but hell, it's cheap. EA likes cheap.

13. Nah3DS
    This message by Nah3DS has been removed from public view by a moderator, Aug 17, 2017.
    Feb 20, 2012
  14. Potticus

Potticus GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 30, 2010
    United States
    Oklahoma
    KoTOR being my favorite game of all time I must agree that comment was pushing it. It's a pretty damn good story with an even better twist(albeit everyone knows what it is now) Try not to comment on a company if you've just hopped on their bandwagon

15. Hells Malice

GBAtemp Patron

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    My comment is perfectly valid since I was speaking in a present-tense.
    As of right now, Bioware has no writers. Not good ones anyway. I never said they NEVER had good writers, and that all of their games were crap. Not once did I say that. (since I can't, having only played their 2007+ titles).
    No need to get all defensive, I never said anything bad about KoTOR.

16. C-Kronos

C-Kronos GBAtemp Regular

Mar 11, 2010
    United States
    Double negative, fourth sentence.

Also, if you had played some of their older stuff, you might have found DAO's player led story to be entertaining.
    :creep:

17. brandonspikes

brandonspikes King Erazer

May 30, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Mass Effect series, And Dragon Age have great Writing for western games.

18. Guild McCommunist

May 6, 2009
    United States
    The Danger Zone
    Their last gen efforts like Jade Empire and KOTOR aren't bad either, but their character cliches are a lot stronger in those games and their dialogue is definitely a lot more defined unlike the "grey zone" they made for Dragon Age and (to some extent) Mass Effect.

19. Luckkill4u

Luckkill4u 4 guys in a car ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Jul 13, 2008
    Canada
    Insomnia
    How sad KotOR (I & II) was my favourite game by BioWare..... but did LucasARTs devolop the story or did Drew Karpyshyn?

20. Qtis

Qtis Grey Knight Inquisitor

Feb 28, 2010
    The Forge
    KotOR by Bioware was Karpyshyn's work, but KotOR II I'm not sure. KotOR II wasn't even made by Bioware in the first place, but by Obsidian Entertainment. :)

21. brandonspikes

brandonspikes King Erazer

May 30, 2010
    United States
    New York
    Good thing KotOR 2 sucks.

1 person likes this.