Bionic eyes to be tested on humans next year

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I spy with my little eye a glimpse into the very future. If this news doesn't catch your eye, I don't know what will.

Researchers in Australia plan to begin testing a bionic eye prototype on human patients in 2013. The new device is being developed by Bionic Vision Australia, and is aimed at helping patients with genetic eye conditions see large objects like buildings and cars. It includes an implanted chip that uses 98 separate electrodes to stimulate the patient's retina so that they can "perceive vision."

The set-up involves a camera built-in to a pair of glasses, which captures images and then transfers them to an external device (attached by a wire) for processing. The data is then sent to the implant, which stimulates the retina, before the information finally reaches the vision processing centers in the brain. Called the "wide-view device," the implant isn't the only prototype the team is working on — a more accurate "high-acuity device," which could help patients recognize faces and even read large print, is expected to go into testing in 2014.
Source: The Verge

The article also comes with a video about the project and the team:

Seriously, this is some pretty exciting news. One day, this technology could be able to aid those who have lost their sight (or their eyes entirely). Not only that, bionic eyes could very well begin to exceed their organic counterparts, and so begins the age of cyborgs (or augments, if that's how you roll) from there.

Plus, I'm pretty excited over the fact that we might skip this and head right to these.

Reactions: 1 person

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like this chain of research, but I imagine the FBI and CIA are trying to fork off from the technology. I imagine that if we can take a camera image and make it into something our brain can process, we can take what our eye sees and turn it into an image.

Zetta_x

The Insane Statistician
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is stupid, it halts progression.

^

That was a joke, but answer this question: If we had technology to correct every little mistake in humans, do you see any potential problems from this?

blahkamehameha

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
^Just about to say that. Is it possible to aid humans to live hundreds of years? Probably.

However, there would be people to stop it. There are already some who complain that the world is overpopulated as it is, (which is BS)

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If we had technology to correct every little mistake in humans, do you see any potential problems from this?

We run out of things to fix.

I've heard this argument before, and it's bugged me. We've been modifying ourselves over the entirety of our history, through things like clothing, glasses, surgeries, reliance on the internet/cell phones, etc., to correct all the mistakes that we can find (There's a really interesting video from TED on the subject. Definitely worth checking out.). This new technology is the next logical step, not a radical departure.

That's not to say we shouldn't be cautious or carefully consider what we're doing; that's a given. At the same time, however, we shouldn't let ourselves become paralyzed by the future ahead either.

Reactions: 2 people

Ryufushichou

I'm Not British, I'm Just Gay!
Trophies
XP
Country
If we had technology to correct every little mistake in humans, do you see any potential problems from this?

Interesting argument, personally while i see humans as a species with massive potential, i don't think we should just say "Right lets augment our bodies to live for a very long time" Life is sparing, short and very valuable, by extending it, more people will take it for granted. I think that technology like this biotic eye are good, People who are born blind will be amazed if this turn out to work for them, but the ones i feel most sorry for, are those who lost their sight later in life, while a person who was born blind misses out on alot which is a very sad thing, they can't really grasp what they are missing, where someone who had sight for the first 20 years of their life knows what they are missing out on, which i could imagine could make it hurt all the more.

- Vincent

Reactions: 1 person

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +1
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped... +1