ROM Hack Binding of isaac Afterbirth Plus save transfer PC to Switch Tutorial

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just thought id make a quick tutorial for those who dont want to start from scratch on their switch. Havent found one anywhere else for the game.

Requirements

-ability to launch homebrew
-Checkpoint(homebrew app)
-a computer

Steps

1.Backup your game if you have one using Checkpoint and save it somewhere on your PC(just incase).

2.Download a save file or use your own.

3.Find the abp_persistentgamedata(1,2, or 3).dat file depending on what slot you want the save on/for.

4.Rename the file to adp_gamedata(1,2, or 3).dat

5.Find the folder in Checkpoints folder that holds your binding of isaac save that you backed up to your pc.

6.Delete the adp_gamedata(1,2, or 3).dat depending on the save slot you wanted/are willing to replace. The one thats on your SD card not the PC one.

7.Copy the renamed save file you downloaded earlier to your SD card In place of the file you deleted in the last step.

8.Use Checkpoint to restore your newly edited save.

9.Enjoy the game from where you left off.

Update as of 2/11/24

If the above method no longer works for you due to either the games version being to far ahead on the pc then the switches version. I have a link to a switch save below you can use with Edizon to get a save file that's better then starting from 0.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1aTSAVMMePAp4OxsNHahoDf0h6VJgUigG?usp=sharing

Last edited by jahrs,

PupptMaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Just thought id make a quick tutorial for those who dont want to start from scratch on their switch. Havent found one anywhere else for the game.

Requirements

-a computer

Steps

1.Backup your game if you have one using Checkpoint and save it somewhere on your PC(just incase).

3.Find the abp_persistentgamedata(1,2, or 3).dat file depending on what slot you want the save on/for.

5.Find the folder in Checkpoints folder that holds your binding of isaac save that you backed up to your pc.

6.Delete the adp_gamedata(1,2, or 3).dat depending on the save slot you wanted/are willing to replace. The one thats on your SD card not the PC one.

7.Copy the renamed save file you downloaded earlier to your SD card In place of the file you deleted in the last step.

Thanks for the tutorial but for some reason it's not working for me. I tried with all 3 slots and tried with both checkpoint and EdiZon and none works. I'm not sure if this is too much but I can't seem to find an 100% save file for the switch version of Isaac and wanted to know if maybe I could borrow your savefile assuming it's complete or at least close to complete. Is that something you could do for me? I know this might be a long shot but I'm not sure what else to do since I really can't find any file online and really don't want to start the game from scratch. Thanks anyways for the tutorial and if you could help me out it would be great!

Last edited by PupptMaster,

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure give me till tomorow ill upload a save. also for future notice the saves for the switch version dont really exist online anywhere for some reason. But the saves for afterbirth plus work across all systems since they share a similar setup you just have to rename them for the switch.

btw the version i'll upload will just have all items (technically) unlocked they dont show up in the item book beyond what ive actually used and all modes unlocked however the accomplishments will only be what ive done so far. sorta just wanted the items and game modes so i didnt edit much else in the save probably could but it was a pain to figure out as is so ill leave that to the more serious and skilled game modder.

technically its just renaming the other files in the pc BOI AB+ to there corresponding switch version of the same files but alot of them share similar names or are different all together so itd be alot of turn on switch, reload save with checkpoint, try game and repeat for each of the 12 files to get full 100% in the game but im lazy and just wanted the items and game modes. If someone wants to make a PC to switch save converter itd basically just be a name changer for the files and if someone else wanted to go through the cycle to find the names(pc-->switch)you can post it on this thread for that nice person to use so that a save converter could be easily be made by that person for the Isaac Switch community who would be eternally grateful.

Last edited by jahrs,
Reactions: PupptMaster

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll apologize ahead of time to the mod for double posting but i thought it might be best to have a new post so that this shows up on the main screen for those who need the information. Just uploaded the save file to the save downloads area in the gbatemp forum for the switch it was made with checkpoint so for a high success rate use that and let me know if anything goes wrong.

https://gbatemp.net/download/binding-of-isaac-afterbirth-plus-3-000-000-save-file.35197/

Last edited by jahrs,
Reactions: PupptMaster

PupptMaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
Dude thanks a lot!!! I really appreciate it! I'll give it a try when I get home. I have put so many hours on this game in the pc version that starting from scratch was driving me insane, I don't mind items not showing up on the stats but I just wanted to be able to do some eden streaks with every item available

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No problem i was in the same situation so i know how it feels to ask around and find no one thats willing to help or that knows a solution

Cortexfou

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hello, I have the rebirth version (without arfterbirth and +) on the PC. Is it possible to convert my save to play it on switch ? I try to do the tutorilal but they say my save is corrupted

FluttershyLeet

Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
That works to Repetance. Took my savefile from steam, difference on step 4 rename to rep_gamedata(1, 2, 3).dat. Sorry for bad english i'm russian.

nobonobo

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
this still works keynotes i learned from doing it:
-remove the number infront of the dat file
-sometimes you have to override title to open checkpoint which is by pressing r while opening any app since checkpoint wont open in applet mode
-create a backup folder in checkpoint before doing it, putting ur dat file in without a new folder wont work. You can simply make a folder by adding new in checkpoint

overall beyond amaze that i get to play my pc save file in my switch!

alexblod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia

Requirements

-a computer

Steps

I can’t change the save, the Go game stubbornly doesn’t see

Attachments

• sohranenie_the_binding_of_isaac_afterbirth_plus.rar
    527.6 KB · Views: 15

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey
I can’t change the save, the Go game stubbornly doesn’t see
I'm not gonna lie I haven't done anything with the switch saves in years there's a good chance that now that there has been a few updates including the latest multi-player one the save transfer no longer works.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey
I'm not gonna lie I haven't done anything with the switch saves in years there's a good chance that now that there has been a few updates including the latest multi-player one the save transfer no longer works.
Nicalis is good at randomly breaking things for seemingly no reason. If he downgrades his game, loads the save on v1. Does the save transfer, then updates he might have better luck

I noticed similar oddities when I made the pc to console mod converter for this game.

jahrs

Technician of The Dead
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nicalis is good at randomly breaking things for seemingly no reason. If he downgrades his game, loads the save on v1. Does the save transfer, then updates he might have better luck

I noticed similar oddities when I made the pc to console mod converter for this game.
It might work but then again they mightve made current saves incompatible with an older game. If he wants to try and make a backup of his save and doing so maybe it could work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYzI76fwaM0