Bill to "amend" Canadian Copyright no more

sputnix

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
When the Conservative government falls Friday, many pieces of legislation will fall along with it, including a number of the government bills that had been revived after succumbing to previous elections and prorogations.

To spare some of the high-priority bills, the government has pushed 10 agenda items through the Senate, including a bill that will end the faint-hope clause that gives early parole to convicts serving life terms. But others will not survive.

Those include Bill C-32, the act to amend Canada’s copyright laws which is in its third incarnation and would legalize activities commonly engaged in by thousands of Canadians – such as copying a CD – but which would prohibit breaking digital locks placed on gadgets and media. It aims to provide fairness for the creative community in a day of iPods and easy downloads. [/p]

Source
yep no more worrying about jailbreaking your idevices because for now we are a-OK

Though the bill will probably come back up again I would suspect it to be rewritten after the outcry of Canadian users who want to use their devices to their full potential

dib

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That is really bizarre considering we (the US) have the most one-sided copyright laws in the world and are ultimately responsible for fucking up other countries laws and policies. And even here jailbreaking is currently considered legal.

Although I'm sure companies like Apple will eventually succeed in lobbying our government to pass whatever crazy standards they want. They always do.

Blebleman

GBAtemp Old-Timer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Working in favor of our digital generation seems to be one of Jack Layton's priorities, if you guys are wondering who to vote for....
smile.gif

thaddius

Charmander is not pleased.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
QUOTE said:
Those include Bill C-32, the act to amend Canada’s copyright laws which is in its third incarnation and would legalize activities commonly engaged in by thousands of Canadians – such as copying a CD – but which would prohibit breaking digital locks placed on gadgets and media. It aims to provide fairness for the creative community in a day of iPods and easy downloads.
This is garbage. The Conservatives constantly used that as an example for things that the law would allow, but they neglected to mention that if the manufacturer of the CD writes on the CD or it's packaging that you can't copy the CD then it would be illegal to do so. FYI, all CDs are printed with a 'do not copy' message on them.

Ah well. At least we don't have to worry about it anymore.

CarbonX13

GBAtemp 台灣人
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Taiwan
So, what difference does this actually make? As far as I'm concerned, people will continue to pirate no matter what, bills won't make a difference.
ron975 said:
Even last year, there was this voice inside my head to vote for Jack Layton. That, and he looks like a nice guy.
Jack Layton looks anything but trustworthy in my honest opinion.
unsure.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I like how Amazon just has one long Add to cart button now just in case I forget where it is +1