Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some pictures have just been published showing him have sordid sex...with transsexual midgets!! He has denied this saying that...nah not really, and nothing that exciting but just read this I saw on various sites:

"Speaking with Apple CEO Steve Jobs at the D5 conference, the Microsoft founder described what he saw as the future of input devices for PCs and other electronic media: "And as we get natural input, that will cause a change. … Software is doing vision and so, you know, imagine a game machine where you’re just going to pick up the bat and swing it or the tennis racket and swing it."

To which the moderators replied, "We have one of those," and referred to Wii by name.

Gates, however, insisted that Nintendo's console was not what he was talking about, saying, "No, that’s not it. You can’t pick up your tennis racket. And swing it.""

So yeah he kinda denies that the Wii lets you swing a bat in a video game.

VmprHntrD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What a dumbass...seriously.

Given mind you this is true, as I see no link to a quote for that level of incompetence. Even in the face of marketing spin at its finest, that crosses the line into stupidity as even the lowliness of perspective, new, or casual gamer knows Wii does that.

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Maybe means actually walking to the corner of the room, picking up an actual tennis racket, swinging it, and having a PC register your movements?

Maybe its... PowerGlove 2!
ohmy.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe means actually walking to the corner of the room, picking up an actual tennis racket, swinging it, and having a PC register your movements?

Maybe its... PowerGlove 2!Â
ohmy.gif
Yeah if Bill Gates had his way you'd have to buy a tennis racket, baseball bat, bowling ball and boxing gloves to play it. That geek sure loves money.

Awakened1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe he meant an actual tennis racket?

This is exactly what he was getting at. He was talking about making a camera or system similar to their newest product the Microsoft surface http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/05...e.aspx#comments. Where someone would be able to grab their baseball bat, basketball,soccerball, baseball, etc. and the device would be able to calculate and understand your exact movements and apply them to a game. It would be MUCH more advance then the wii mote and could be used for not only video games but other situations. It would be a complete 3d space recognition that could be applyed to many other things and not only gaming. Most of the public is not yet ready for this kind of technology.

Edit: Included a better video link.

Also some people have some serious deep routed issues when the Word Microsoft is brought up or Bill Gates is mentioned. It is true Bill Gates is very Wealthy but most should learn that Bill Gates also owns one of the Biggest Charitys http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_and_Meli...ates_Foundation.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is what I thought the first time I heard about it. I don't see where the confusion is.
blink.gif

I guess I'm just all smart and shtuff.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country

This is exactly what he was getting at. He was talking about making a camera or system similar to their newest product the Microsoft surface http://www.majornelson.com/archive/2007/05...e.aspx#comments. Where someone would be able to grab their baseball bat, basketball,soccerball, baseball, etc. and the device would be able to calculate and understand your exact movements and apply them to a game. It would be MUCH more advance then the wii mote and could be used for not only video games but other situations. It would be a complete 3d space recognition that could be applyed to many other things and not only gaming. Most of the public is not yet ready for this kind of technology.

I don't understand what you mean about the bat thing and 'picking stuff up'. This is basically a very fancy (and very cool) touchscreen, I did not see anything about a 3D User Space, the nearest thing to it was those infrared cameras and for interaction the objects were still touching the surface.

Awakened1

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I don't understand what you mean about the bat thing and 'picking stuff up'. This is basically a very fancy (and very cool) touchscreen, I did not see anything about a 3D User Space, the nearest thing to it was those infrared cameras and for interaction the objects were still touching the surface.

You are correct I was talking about the Infared Camera technology used in the Microsoft Surface. The infared camera technology in the Microsoft surface allows and recognizes multiple touch points at one time (as shown in the video). Right now the technology is still a primitive form and only being applied on a 2 Dimentional Plane which is where the touching comes in for the Microsoft Surface. But what Bill Gates is looking to do is bring this technology and make it detect and interact with the 3 Dimensional space (i.e: a human, object, gesture, etc.) removing the need of any psychical touching. Nobody is saying that Bill gates or Microsoft will ever follow through on any of this but if they do then the camera or cameras will be more advance then that of the one's in the surface. It seems were witnessing a new marketing era for Microsoft where they are not only pushing in the software market but now it seems the hardware market aswell.

friedchicken

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i have the same impression as awaken1 does.
this 3d sensing thing is giong to be awesome. if you guys think about it you probably dont even need buttons if say play baseball. hand guestures can let you pick modes but when you're playing the game, do you really need to the botton to swing? it'd be cooler to pick up a stick and call it a bat or a toy gun made of lego as your hand gun. in fact, you might not even need ot buy a controller like with a wii cuz you can use things you already own.

inspired by the wii? i dont think so. this concept been out for awhile just we dont have technology to implement it. VR anyone? I think there's a primitive game at Dave and Busters (D&B, american establishment) that is simliar to detect movement.

and bill gate charity is indeed uber, good for him.

the moderator made a crack at gates because he knows everyone will laugh and he'll be a star for the next min. what a douche.

iza

gbatemp, the new crack
Trophies
Website
myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
yea. i remember the first time i experience motion senseing it was in a game (and suprisingly enough, not a wii.... so who's idea was it first?! u be the judge)... it was an arcade shooter, you had your light guns and all the normal shit, but to lean and duck, you actually had to lean and duck, made it VERY cool for a 9 yr old at the time. so i think this is a damn good idea. also, i think he was using the bat thing as a way to get the image across. with this tech, it should be possible you could play it without any accessories at all. you'll simply hold out your hand(s) and the game could put your instrument of destruction in your hands on the screen. ie, you wont really need a gun or bat, just put your hands and arms where you'd want your gun to be on the screen. and then we could really play COD3 the way wii advertised it, with the guy ducking and rolling. only you wouldnt get caught up in your nunchuck cord....

edit: spelling

jimmy j

Awesome for hire.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
This is taken from The Gadget Show's website and it refers to technology on display at CeBit

.The Gadget Show said:
One of the most fun things we found at the show was a creation which allows you to manipulate real life objects and then, on a computer screen in front of you, the 3D computer graphic match for that object moves around in real time. OK, that may not be the clearest explanation I could've given - I'll try again. On the table in front of Jason was a yellow plastic bath duck. On the screen in front of the table there was also a yellow plastic bath duck (well, a computer generated image of one). Whenever Jason moved the real duck, the virtual duck mimicked the movements exactly. When you move the objects around on the table - their virtual twins move in real time on the screen - so turn the real duck and the virtual duck also turns.

full article

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)