Homebrew RELEASE BiggestDump and Firmware Dumper - comparison and issues

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
yes, it was a joke. I think the situation is fixing itself now seeing JK_ is working with you to see what's happening.
I'm just not sure it's the correct place to discuss JK_'s dumper bugs, as it's fOmey's dumper thread. but if it doesn't bother him, it's fine to stay here as there's no official thread yet.
there's nothing to take down, as it's not posted on gbatemp. I can't take down a github project. This thread is fOmey dumper which is doing good dumps, right?

Though, seeing one of the first comments on this thread, someone reported that a firmware dumped with this tool (firmware dumper, not BiggestDump) had different files than the firmwares found on the net before this tool was released.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/firmware-dumper.522522/#post-8368850

who to trust? which dumper is good?

Last edited by Cyan,

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
yes, it was a joke. I think the situation is fixing itself now seeing JK_ is working with you to see what's happening.
I'm just not sure it's the correct place to discuss JK_'s dumper, as it's fOmey's dumper thread.
I do think like I said before it should be took down until it's been corrected, it might be too late because the file has been sourced already, it wasn't even a proper released tested file, it was made up. I will say firmware dumper 100% dumps a pending update exactly the same every time I have fully tested that as well. All I was trying to do is stop users from using it before a release of 6.2.0 cfw happened because they will use it alongside Choidujour to update and if that happens it will brick I was trying to do the right thing not cause any unnecessary panic.

Edit: that was just the firmware number early versions of firmwaredumper used to dump 5.1.16 which actually the 6 is correct in a full dump but users got confused so he changed it too 5.1.0 took the 6 part out, it's ok.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Run this. I want to know what's really going on. Upload or copy and paste the file from "sdmc:/Update/fileLog.txt".
Sorry I have missed a few comments out yes thanks I will test it asap let you know.

@Shadowfied sorry I was using an iphone when commenting, it's not easy I was in a hurry yes the english can sound poor.

Last edited by Reecey,

Shadowfied

Trophies
XP
Country
I do think like I said before it should be took down until it's been corrected, it might be too late because the file has been sourced already, it wasn't even a proper released tested file, it was made up. I will say firmware dumper 100% dumps a pending update exactly the same every time I have fully tested that as well. All I was trying to do is stop users from using it before a release of 6.2.0 cfw happened because they will use it alongside Choidujour to update and if that happens it will brick I was trying to do the right thing not cause any unnecessary panic.
Excuse me, but how is any piece of software more "made up" than anything else? How was OPs code more tested before he posted it? Because it has its own thread?
JK even provided the source for his code unlike OP so if you feel you should validate something then off you go.

The rest of us here are looking at how the community can improve firmware dumping for everyone. We have told you countless times that ChoiDujourNX which you keep referring to yourself, will not go through with an update using files that don't match the systems signature. It's not a matter of "what will brick", as with all current known methods of updating, the files are verified and can't brick. What we're working on is efficiency for the user when it comes to dumping the firmware. If you're not interested with working alongside the community on improving our craft then you probably shouldn't be hanging around forums of homebrew development.

I'll agree that at this point JK might as well just make his own thread though cause this one is actually being derailed right now.

Last edited by Shadowfied,

Reecey

Mario 64 (favorite game of all time)
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
@JK_ Just tested your latest commit still the same results:
Untitled.jpg

@Shadowfied have you got any sort of clue what hacking references mean? made "make" a file means it has been sourced, has been downloaded from github directly and you make the file yourself, it has not had a proper release yet by the owner. If you check his original link on github it has not had a release which means it is down to the user in case of any issues occurring which it turn means he would not be made responsible for any let say for example "bricks" in the process of the firmware dump. Tbh with you, it's quite funny reading some of your comments because you have not got a clue what you are suggesting.

Can some kind person who knows what they are doing dumping a 6.2.0 pending update please test biggest dump under sxos and let me know the outcome the size of the placehld/6.2.0 folder and report thank you to see if I am completely mad or just correct.

You need to turn the blocker of first in sx os settings to activate your Wi-fi fully go to update in system settings force the update if it still says 6.1.0 below don’t press update just press b to back up to the main menu and boot biggest dump up it will then dump both firmwares. Thanks

Last edited by Reecey,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end