Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
As suggested by mthrnite, here's my opinion/suggestion about the issue (topic title).

I'm confused as to why the main page should have Steve Jobs's picture.

- This is not a Apple centered website.
- The news item is 2 days old.
- Other things have happened since then.
- If anything, there should be a 1955-2011 written in the picture.

What does the community think about this issue?

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I don't mind but the first time I saw this here i thaught like "wtf ? yeah sad this guy died but hell I didn't know him in person, this page is not about apple AND its in the news the whole day so need to read it here as well"

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
We're also a gaming/tech-related news site.

iPhone is undoubtedly a gaming platform, and we also have a smartphone section.

It's an important news, and most people learned it from here before other places.

As for the fact that it's still there, it's probably because there haven't been any other important news in these 2 days
tongue.gif

MaxNuker

GBATemp's Official Shinigami Substitute
Trophies
Website
facebook.com
XP
Country
Portugal
Another thing is: If it wasn't for Steve Jobs brilliant mind, and his rivality with Bill Gates, the world would never have seen such jumps in techonology as we did...

Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
raulpica said:
As for the fact that it's still there, it's probably because there haven't been any other important news in these 2 days
tongue.gif

It is true no personality died since then, but other things have been announced, like the White Ice 3DS which seems like an interesting addition.

I'm sure the Magazine Staff will update the main page with other news eventually, since the gaming-industry doesn't stop for the death of one individual, but the main issue I'm trying to point out is the exaggeration of the presentation of the news. While I think it is a news-worthy happening, even by a website which is not Apple centered, the porportion of space it occupies in the mainpage seems too much. A big picture of Steve Jobs holding an iPhone might even lead at first-glance to think a new iPhone has been announced.
It seems to me it would be sufficient to have the text and a small reference picture, if anything.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
MaxNuker said:
Another thing is: If it wasn't for Steve Jobs brilliant mind, and his rivality with Bill Gates, the world would never have seen such jumps in techonology as we did...
Pretty much.

I respect him because of this and his other contributions (he was at Pixar)

nryn99

desu~
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
eA48P.png

just choose one of the tabs.

look, i don't see his face anymore. satisfied?

also, yes he is holding an iphone. but how long will it take for you to read and understand that it's not about a new iphone????

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think its a non-issue, and your persistence in having the picture removed is border-lining disrespect. It's been 2 two days. Much more insignificant news has been on the front page for MUCH longer than that.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Shinji_PG said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

It is true no personality died since then, but other things have been announced, like the White Ice 3DS which seems like an interesting addition.

I'm sure the Magazine Staff will update the main page with other news eventually, since the gaming-industry doesn't stop for the death of one individual, but the main issue I'm trying to point out is the exaggeration of the presentation of the news. While I think it is a news-worthy happening, even by a website which is not Apple centered, the porportion of space it occupies in the mainpage seems too much. A big picture of Steve Jobs holding an iPhone might even lead at first-glance to think a new iPhone has been announced.
It seems to me it would be sufficient to have the text and a small reference picture, if anything.
Well, probably no one submitted a news to the front page, simply that. I don't think that the image is still stuck there on purpose.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
The front page news has changed... HAPPY NOW?!?!?
cry.gif

Just kidding.

But yeah, I've seen many boring stuff been up for more than 2 days.

mthrnite

So it goes.
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
It was indeed a very important event, and for many on this site, a very sad event. We are a gaming site, but that isn't all we are. Quite a bit of what sets GBAtemp apart from some of the other gaming sites is that we are a community. The community, by and large, cares about this news story. I've been around here as staff for a few years now and I often see the complaint "..but this is a gaming site, what does your mother dying/you coming out of the closet/your wife leaving you have to do with gaming?" and the answer is, it doesn't have a lot to do with gaming, but it does have a lot to do with gamers, our gamers, the people in our community.

So if you come to this site mainly for gaming news, releases, technical help, etc... that's fine and great, but do expect that there will be content superfluous to your needs here.

Steve Jobs' death was a pretty big deal to a lot of people in our community, a pretty goddamned huge deal to some, not to put too fine a point on it. His influence is strong in the design world, and the tech world, and he shaped a lot of what we do, what we play, and what we consume. He is very important.

He won't be on the front page forever, or even for very much longer, but I hope I've given you some insight into why he's been there as long as he has.

Aeter

A walking contradiction
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
MaxNuker said:
Ah yes, rivality and techonology, what are we to do with them.

Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Shinji_PG said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

What I meant from what I wrote:
- Image too big.
- Image related to Apple and iPhone, not to Steve Jobs' death.
- Text would be enough with optional (smaller) photograph.

I am aware other news items have been for longer than they should (I'm a reader since 2005), but that doesn't sustain it should continue to be done.

I am not against reporting the death of anyone, all I'm saying is some aspects need to be taken into consideration when making those reports (especially in the main page).

But from what I can see the community is generally ok with the fact. I guess my suggestion is moot.

Chikaku-chan

ᏁᎽᎪ~
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
He is a great man and if I am correct he is basicaly one of the biggest reasons we have pc's, you know because of microsofts need to steal peoples ideas and add a little bit of there own to keep it

Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country

shadowmanwkp

Your roms are on another rom site
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Shinji_PG said:
Depravo said:
Shinji_PG said:
Would an image of a diseased pancreas have been more appropriate?

I'll link you up to some professional magazine, to show-case what types of pictures they chose to represent the ill event:
http://www.wired.com/
http://gizmodo.com/

Also, Apple Inc's own website:
http://www.apple.com/ (notice the birth and death years)

All three images contain the same thing as the news article on the front page: Steve Jobs. The only difference with this one is that he's holding the product he made popular, nothing wrong with that. They're all different pictures at the other sites, but this is not a "professional site" or a "magazine" so you should expect the picture to differ a bit. What they do share is that it portrays who Steve was. Go troll harder

Shinji_PG

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
shadowmanwkp said:
Shinji_PG said:
Depravo said:
Shinji_PG said:
Would an image of a diseased pancreas have been more appropriate?

I'll link you up to some professional magazine, to show-case what types of pictures they chose to represent the ill event:
http://www.wired.com/
http://gizmodo.com/

Also, Apple Inc's own website:
http://www.apple.com/ (notice the birth and death years)

All three images contain the same thing as in the news article on the front page: Steve Jobs. Go troll harder

The image chosen by GBATemp's Magazine Staff was of Steve Jobs holding an iPhone as to show it to an audience.
It would be easily mistaken, at first-glance, for the news of a new iPhone, and not of Steve Jobs' death.
Just because a photo contains an element related to a news item, doesn't make it appropriate altogether.
Also, I'm just replying to shadowmanwkp's question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :rofl2: