New Zealand
Have you seen what the 3ds gateway card does
It allows the play of 3ds roms. I would consider that if I were you

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I would say the second option but save those 20 eShop funds for later.
Once u get another 20$ buy urself a real game, not eShop meh games.

pwsincd

Garage Flower
Developer
Trophies
XP
well considering you want to play online i would stick with a DSTWO , the most reliable card when considering Nintendo updates , which are obviously required to play online

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would say the second option but save those 20 eShop funds for later.
Once u get another 20$ buy urself a real game, not eShop meh games.
This is a one time thing, cause I'm selling my NES collection of 86 games.
Too young to have a job.

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
The 3DS XL's screens make for more enjoyable gaming, but with your options you will have no games if you purchase the XL.

Your second option includes the DSTWO which is an awesome cart.

Your first option gives you more for your monies.

You have to decide if wanna purchase quality over quantity, tough choice, if it was my choice i would probably go for option 3 & buy the games when i had money, but that's easy for me to say.

I'm not gonna vote, but good luck with your choice.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Buy a PSVita. :tpi:

On a serious note though, you'll be far safer with a DSTwo in terms of updates (external processor, different build etc.), plus you'll be able to reap all the benefits of DSTwo-specific homebrew. 3DS games won't magically disappear and they can only get cheaper with time while flashcarts will gradually get harder to get and once (or more appropriately "if") the R4i Gold gets blocked for good, you might as well throw it in the trash. You'll catch up with 3DS games in time, DS games should cover your gaming needs until you get some extra dough. :yaynds:

D

Deleted-236924

I can't afford it bro. :sad: Plus I want to play online!

?

You can afford to get a 3DS + (a 3DS game + an R4i Gold w/ microSD card + $40 eShop credit), but can't afford a 3DS + a Gateway?
Gateway seems to hover around $80-$90, surely the 3DS game + R4i Gold w/ microSD card + $40 eShop credit could be substituted with it.

Unless you're getting a special deal for an used copy of a 3DS game in order to get it for cheaper than retail price.

It's worth looking into, since the Gateway blue card runs on a modified version of Wood, which will most likely support every NDS rom to date. And since you'd be keeping the 3DS on 4.5 firmware (assuming you can find a 3DS on that firmware), you shouldn't have to worry about 3DS updates blocking it.

Xexyz

GBATemp's™ Official Xexyz
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
?

You can afford to get a 3DS + (a 3DS game + an R4i Gold w/ microSD card + $40 eShop credit), but can't afford a 3DS + a Gateway?
Gateway seems to hover around $80-$90, surely the 3DS game + R4i Gold w/ microSD card + $40 eShop credit could be substituted with it.

Unless you're getting a special deal for an used copy of a 3DS game in order to get it for cheaper than retail price.
3DS $190+$80=$270 $20 out of budget. Plus where is the DS flahcard? $190+80+23.72+$10= 303.72 $53.72 out of budget

D

Deleted-236924

Plus where is the DS flahcard?

The blue Gateway card acts as a regular NDS flashcard, the red card is for 3DS games.
When you buy the Gateway, you should normally be receiving both the red and the blue card (Normally, because there were people saying they only received the red card or something, probably depends on the reseller.)

It may be worth looking into ways to make $20, because a 3DS on 4.5 w/ the Gateway would let you play pretty much every NDS backup just as well as the R4i Gold, with the added bonus of being able to play 3DS backups.
Unless you plan on eventually buying stuff on the eShop or playing any of the most recent 3DS games, in which case the Gateway is out of question.

Theconejo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would use the eShop and update.

Quick check on my local c-list shows the going rate for a OG 3ds is about 130, even with a game in some cases. I would go that route if I were buying and trying to save some cash.

Edit: about 180 for a XL

gokujr1000

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
I voted for the first option because you get more for your dollar.

I would go with the 3rd personally because the 3DS XL is much more comfortable if you're above the age of 14.

EDIT: As a 3DS owner I regret not waiting for the XL to come out. The 3DS can produce some really cramped up/sore hands due to how small it is. And the Stylus placement is terrible.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.the-sun.com/news/10907833/self-checkout-complaints-new-target-dollar-general-policies...