Big Brain Academy+Download Play with G6 Lite

Discussion in 'Other Flashing Hardware & Software' started by jr9770, Aug 1, 2006.

Aug 1, 2006
  1. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Ok this is starting to bug me. I have two DS Lites. One has been flashme flashed and the other is stock firmware. I boot the G6 off the stock unit and set up a group for Brain Academy. I set the flashed DS to receive the game. It finds the group just fine, begins to download, and then it just sits there downloading. I've let it go for 10 minutes and nothing ever happens. I've played around with a lot of variables in the patching process and the only change I see is when I turn on software reset it crashes (white screens) the flashed unit before it can begin downloading. So at the very least I know not to run it with software reset. I've read posts of other people who have had trouble with this game, but still others have had success getting it to work. I didn't come across any posts of people specifically with the G6 who got it to work. Does anyone with a G6 Lite have a reliable method of getting this game to work in Download Play mode on a flashed DS Lite?

Thanks in advance!

Jeff

2. outphase

Member outphase Custom title

United States
    Don't run it with soft reset and let it run forever if you're using fast boot. supposedly it d/ls faster on normal boot.

I sent to 2 DSes while on fast boot and it went on forever, but eventually succeeded

3. evilreddot

Member evilreddot GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Um... did you trim?

4. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    I tried it both ways, trimmed and not trimmed, and it didn't seem to make a difference. I guess I'll just let it run longer and see if it eventually starts. Thanks outphase!

5. outphase

United States
    don't forget dofat vs normal load modes

6. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Hey outphase, can you give me an idea how long it took yours to finally work? I now have the rom on my G6 with no software reset, DoFat, and no trim and the two DS's have been downloading for 32 minutes now and still won't finish. That seems like an unusually long period of time...

Jeff

7. outphase

United States
    on my m3 sending while on fastboot (dofat equivalent), it took upward of 10 minutes. did you make sure you closed the connection so it can begin sending the game?

also, dumping using normal mode instead of dofat supposedly works much faster

8. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Ok I am having them try it again. Right now I have the rom on the G6 as normal mode, no trim, and no software reset. I set the flashed DS to receive and it sees the group, then joins it ok. I then see the other DS in the group on the host DS and I hit A to close the group and begin sending the software. I assume this is what you meant by closing the connection. The receiving DS has a white screen on top with the network strength icon and the bottom screen has a green box that says Downloading, just a moment please. The sending DS has a top screen that says Just a moment please, and the bottom screen says Sending, just a moment please. There is a box that says OK on the sending one but clicking it does nothing. As far as I can tell, there's no other button presses I need to make on either unit. The Wifi lights on both DS's are blinking back and forth, indicating they are trying to send data between the two.

I started them at 12:30 and it's now 12:58 and they still haven't started a game yet. I'm using 4.1a english firmware on the G6 and running 4.1d of the main software.....and as I type this it looks like G6 just released a newer rev so I'll give that a try.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for the help by the way.

Jeff

9. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    I had the same problem with the US version on my m3 CF, Half an hour definitly means it doesnt work, it takes between 2 and 3 minutes at most. It is the only game i had problem with multi.

Weird thing is Europe version worked just fine, did you try the EU version?

10. Psyfira

Member Psyfira Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue

United Kingdom
    I didn't think you could link a flashed DS with a non-flashed one...

11. outphase

United States
    sorta... the receiving DS in singlecard play should be flashed, the sender could be anything.

12. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Ok I've given up on getting the (U) release working and have moved on to the European one. I haven't found the right combination of patching that makes it work in Download Play. All I know is that software reset definitely needs to be off with this game because when it's on there is an immediate communication error when the download begins.

Wabo, any idea what settings you used to make the European version work?

Jeff

13. wabo

Member wabo GBAtemp Maniac

Canada
    Normal mode
    M3 CF
    untrimmed

i never use the softreset option, i see no point.

14. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    I give up. I can't get it to work. I tried using the European version in normal mode with no trim and it just hangs there. It's going on 10 minutes now and it just never starts. Oh well.

15. muggsy

Newcomer muggsy Member

United Kingdom

download play does not work between a flashme firmware and a stock firmware

16. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    That depends on the rom you're using. I've tried Tetris DS, Brain Age, Bomberman, etc and they all worked [on EZ4].

Edit: Thanks outphase.

17. outphase

United States
    Careful how you present this information. For some users this is true, but for most it will not work.

18. martin88

Member martin88 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Canada
    Well, I should add that these roms are tested on EZ4 mini-SD. I'm sure it holds true for other EZ4 user, since the there are no options in EZ4 Client to troubleshoot like M3/G6/SuperCard's client - it's open the rom and click send.

19. jr9770
    OP

Newcomer jr9770 Member

United States
    Yes it does, it has for dozens of other games I've tried - just not Brain Age Academy. As long as the receiving DS is the one that has flashme on it it'll work. The flashme DS doesn't care about the lack of, or presence of, an RSA signature. Now it's possible that Brain Age Academy is very picky and it does require two flashme DS's in order to work. I'm not ruling that out, but I can say from personal experience that I have had a stock DS send a rom via download play to my flashme unit and it's worked just fine in many instances.

20. Topsy

Member Topsy GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    Can I just ask a question that has probably already been asked (I can't find the info)? Can two dsls that both say have a passcard 3 (non flashed) and g6 lite play multicart games together if they both have the same rom on them and running? Do all the multicart games work OK with this setup? Could you say throw in a third player who actually had the retail version of the game too?