Hacking Big Blue Menu Questions

Habitate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
////////////////////////////////////
I'M SORRY IF THIS WAS POSTED EARLYER OR IT'S NOT THE RIGHT PLACE TO POST THIS.
Hello everyone, I have some questions about big blue menu and .cia files since I'm new to this.
Today I found out about .cia files and an app called Big Blue Menu. I read a bunch of posts about this, but I still have some questions that might be helpful to others too.
Before I say anything, this is some info you guys might need:
Console: 3DS (Old)
sysNAND: 4.2 - 4.4 (Can't remember :/)
Gateway ULTRA: Set up and working perfectly (Also some games have private headers)
emuNAND: 10.# (Can't remember the end).
Also I believe that I can install Big Blue Menu without any problems.
///////////////////////////////////

So the questions:
1.How can I brick my 3ds by using it? (So i can prevent it and not do something stupid)

2.Is it true that I shouldn't open the installed apps or games while in sysNAND (not in gateway mode)?

3.And will opening data managment delete everything that I installed? Will having emuNAND set up (like I have) prevent this?

4. (This is something I didn't understand while reading other posts) This relates to question 3. To prevent it do I need to separate my sysNAND from emuNAND (by formating system with the SD Card ejected) or did I do it when I first set up emuNAND? ( Gateway Menu -> Format emuNAND -> Launch gateway mode -> version in settings says "GW 4.#" -> updating it to GW 10.#)

5. When I install DLC for example: Fantasy Life: Origin Island. People say "Never enter the extra content or DLC options inside the games or else the DLC you installed will disappear. If they disappear, you'll have to install them again." What do they mean? Can someone give me an example of how do I even enter the "Extra options or DLC options" in Fire Emblem: Awakening or Fantasy Life?

I'm looking forward for replies :)
Thanks for your time!

Last edited by Habitate,

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
1.If you use BBM to update Emunand, after L+R+A, do remember never press HOME after finished, just use POWER to shut it down.
Or else, that could cause the system modules partially updated. Thus what you can choose is only restoring the nand image with hardware.
Yes, this is quite DANGEROUS. Unless what you want is a 9.5 Emunand for New 3ds. If your console is an old 3ds, lucky for you you could have almost the latest emunand, so get to the system setting and confirm that is emunand, do update there - no back to HomeMenu please.
2.If the CIA isn't a legit CIA, or not purchased before, without any signature patched the app would get deleted. Just as those DLCs not bought be deleted when entering eShop.
Legit CIAs are those pre-installed on a XX-Edition console, and it is marked to be legit. So those wouldn't get deleted.
3.Without signature patched when opening the data management everything it thinks as pirated would be wiped out. So with signature patched you can do with sysNand.
That's also why you can still update your sysNand with SysUpdator. That CIA does run with devMode, say only a signature patch and nothing else.
4.Once your Emunand is ready, meh for example devmenu cia installed, you can unlink those. power down, plug sd out, boot, format.
Unlink it would cause two or more SD entries on your SD, sd:/Nintendo 3DS/../.. . So delete actions from one would not affect the other.
5.That means, eshop would automatically detects what you didn't purchased, or say pirated, and uninstall those dlc. Note only dlc, updates/apps wouldn't. Avoid Eshop if DLC.
Note: not only those tickets, but also the actual content on SD would be removed. Some games' inner DLC option would launch eShop, so..

Farewell. Have your days playing happily. Note: try searching for your answer on Google/Forum search may be quite faster than waiting for answer.

Last edited by Syphurith, , Reason: Right, BBM updating is quite dangerous. Unless for new 3ds.
Reactions: Habitate

Habitate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thank you so much for your time :)

Sorry if I annoy you, could you please give me a more straight forward for question 4?

What are you reffering by saying L+R+A? I'm new to all this, and can't seem to find much answers on google.

And so if I understand correctly, if I have pirated DLC i can't open EShop or it will get deleted.
And I can't brick my console if I don't update my emuNAND with BBM?

Btw I really don't get this: If I understand this correctly, when I set up emuNAND the SD card got split in 2 partitions (1 for emuNAND and 1 for sysNAND) Why would the apps appear on both places? And if I update emuNAND with BBM and mess up why would sysNAND be affected?

Last edited by Habitate,

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if I annoy you, could you please give me a more straight forward for question 4?

Its pretty straight forward, look up how to unlink emu and sys nands.

What are you reffering by saying L+R+A? I'm new to all this, and can't seem to find much answers on google.

Dont use BBM to update emunand, use sysupdater in rxtools devmode.

And so if I understand correctly, if I have pirated DLC i can't open EShop or it will get deleted.
And I can't brick my console if I don't update my emuNAND with BBM?

Btw I really don't get this: If I understand this correctly, when I set up emuNAND the SD card got split in 2 partitions (1 for emuNAND and 1 for sysNAND) Why would the apps appear on both places? And if I update emuNAND with BBM and mess up why would sysNAND be affected?

Yes
You cannot brick your console if you do not install things to the NAND.
Emunand has a separate partition for system files, but the firmware version and stuff. However they share all the same apps. Its better to unlink, especially if you want to set up autoboot or something.

Habitate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Yes
Emunand has a separate partition for system files, but the firmware version and stuff. However they share all the same apps. Its better to unlink, especially if you want to set up autoboot or something.
This might seem like a really really really stupid question, but will formating sys (without the sd of course) by any way return my firmware back to the one i got my 3ds the first time or will it leave it the same?

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
This might seem like a really really really stupid question, but will formating sys (without the sd of course) by any way return my firmware back to the one i got my 3ds the first time or will it leave it the same?
Of course not, otherwise no one would ever need to worry. It just wipes your apps and resets your settings

Habitate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

Yes
And 1 more thing what is rxtools and devmode? And why should i use them to update emuNAND? Can't I just go into setting and if it says GW #.# update it then?

Syphurith

Beginner
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
First you must know those GW3D, Ver., Rx3D, and those string. Those tells you're in SysNand or EmuNand.
To get a particular version of SysNand, you could have SysUpdator. But you must be in RxTools-DevMode, PBT-CFW, or Pasta(without firmlaunch, legacy version) to use it.
Yep, everytime you tried to update the sysnand with GW mode.. I think you're already waiting for soldering to restore the image with hardware.
To get a particular version of EmuNand, that is mostly what new 3ds want, cause their emunand support only up to 9.5. So some use BBM/Devmenu620 and L+R+A. Dangerous.
To get a latest version of EmuNand, I suggest you to go to system settings. There you could confirm that is emu/sys first. Then just update it without any back to HomeMenu.
Does unlinking sys and emu nands have any downsides and particular good sides?
Unlinking is mostly a striction added. Sometimes there're friends/guys/children open it and tap randomly. Without signature patch an unsigned app could be removed.
Why i would tell you to avoid accessing eshop? Well if you have almost 4GB DLC installed as CIA.. That's quite plenty of time to install them all over.
However seen you're using a GW card.. Well.. Yes nothing else i wanna say.

Habitate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
First you must know those GW3D, Ver., Rx3D, and those string. Those tells you're in SysNand or EmuNand.
To get a particular version of SysNand, you could have SysUpdator. But you must be in RxTools-DevMode, PBT-CFW, or Pasta(without firmlaunch, legacy version) to use it.
Yep, everytime you tried to update the sysnand with GW mode.. I think you're already waiting for soldering to restore the image with hardware.
To get a particular version of EmuNand, that is mostly what new 3ds want, cause their emunand support only up to 9.5. So some use BBM/Devmenu620 and L+R+A. Dangerous.
To get a latest version of EmuNand, I suggest you to go to system settings. There you could confirm that is emu/sys first. Then just update it without any back to HomeMenu.

Unlinking is mostly a striction added. Sometimes there're friends/guys/children open it and tap randomly. Without signature patch an unsigned app could be removed.
Why i would tell you to avoid accessing eshop? Well if you have almost 4GB DLC installed as CIA.. That's quite plenty of time to install them all over.
Thanks for helping me out. You saved me a ton of time, so thanks again :)

Habitate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
[/QUOTE]Unlinking is mostly a striction added. Sometimes there're friends/guys/children open it and tap randomly. Without signature patch an unsigned app could be removed.
However seen you're using a GW card.. Well.. Yes nothing else i wanna say.[/QUOTE]

So i read some forums, and people say that i unlinked my nands when I formated emuNAND for the first time. Can you confirm this?
And by saying "However seen you're using GW card" Do you mean that accesing eshop in emuNand for me wont delete anything? Or am I just really confused.

XL4Y3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
However seen you're using a GW card.. Well.. Yes nothing else i wanna say.[/QUOTE]

So i read some forums, and people say that i unlinked my nands when I formated emuNAND for the first time. Can you confirm this?
And by saying "However seen you're using GW card" Do you mean that accesing eshop in emuNand for me wont delete anything? Or am I just really confused.[/QUOTE]

Same question about Unlink Nand after format the emunand. (Have any method to know if is really unliked?)

Habitate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

And by saying "However seen you're using GW card" Do you mean that accesing eshop in emuNand for me wont delete anything? Or am I just really confused.[/QUOTE]

Same question about Unlink Nand after format the emunand. (Have any method to know if is really unliked?)[/QUOTE]
I don't know either

Quantumcat

Dead and alive
Trophies
Website
boot9strap.com
XP
Country
Australia
And by saying "However seen you're using GW card" Do you mean that accesing eshop in emuNand for me wont delete anything? Or am I just really confused.

Same question about Unlink Nand after format the emunand. (Have any method to know if is really unliked?)[/QUOTE]
I don't know either[/QUOTE]
Try changing the theme in one or rearranging the icons and see if it changes in the other. If it does it is linked, if it doesn't it is unlinked.

Habitate

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Same question about Unlink Nand after format the emunand. (Have any method to know if is really unliked?)
I don't know either[/QUOTE]
Try changing the theme in one or rearranging the icons and see if it changes in the other. If it does it is linked, if it doesn't it is unlinked.[/QUOTE]
You can confirm if your NANDS are unlinked if in SD/Nintendo3DS/ there are 2 folders with random letters. If there is only 1 they are still linked.

Reactions: XL4Y3R

XL4Y3R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I don't know either
Try changing the theme in one or rearranging the icons and see if it changes in the other. If it does it is linked, if it doesn't it is unlinked.
You can confirm if your NANDS are unlinked if in SD/Nintendo3DS/ there are 2 folders with random letters. If there is only 1 they are still linked.

Thank you!

night_hawk

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I dont know if things has changed now, because i can go into data management and even into eshop and my CIA (games, updates and DLCs) were never been deleted

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Narcissistic Personality Disorder 101
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I think that's what you have
    Thanks for providing further evidence of my claim in a single comment. lol.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    pff\
    You're a gaslighting narcissist. Everyone out to get you. You wont get professional help because you'll just chalk up their diagnosis as another conspiracy out to get you.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    leave me alone, I'm not going to engage with you anymore, bye
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    Motherfucker I was checked by a psychiatrist and there's nothing wrong with me
    okay. Bye. Thought you were leaving anyway. Why are you still around? You already said goodbye to everyone here.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    so stop spurting your nonsense
    lol. liar.
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    knock it off now, both of you
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    yea you're just a mean bully
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    he SHOULD
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    and NOW
    liar, loudmouth, cussing and swearing, all angry
    ok. sorry. ill stop now. promise
    Sooo. How about Dune part 1 & 2? The cinematography is fantastic, but thats some of the most boring ass sci-fi Ive seen in my life.
    haven't seen both
    Im going to see the new Godzilla next week. Sure they aren't some cinematic masterpieces but the last few were all really great and fun popcorn flicks to see on the big screen.
    can't remember the last time I went to the cinemas
    Me neither, not precisely. I think the last one I went to was Top Gun Maverick
    Oh. Wait. I took my mom to see Elvis. I think that was the last time I went. I'll most likely see the new Planet of the Apes in a theater too.
    @DinohScene Can you please delete my comment here? I cant edit since it'
    ..since it's locked and I really dont want to be a part of their attention seeking nonsense any longer.
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: https://gbatemp.net/threads/goodbye-guys-girls-others.653902/#post-10401826