[BFWWIWA] Issue #2 - Sony PSVita

Which system would you like to see covered in the next BFWWIWA issue?

• Nintendo Gamecube

Votes: 27 17.2%
  • Nintendo Wii

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Nintendo Game Boy Colour

Votes: 6 3.8%
  • Nintendo Game Boy Advance

• Nintendo DS

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • Nintendo 3DS

Votes: 38 24.2%
  • Sony PlayStation

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Sony PlayStation 2

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Sony PlayStation 3

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Sony PSP

• Sega Master System

• Sega Mega Drive/Genesis

• Atari 2600

Votes: 8 5.1%
  • The Classic Amiga Line (500/600/1200)

Votes: 10 6.4%
  • PC - A Personal RETRO-spective

Votes: 12 7.6%

• Total voters

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
I'm kind of on your side... depends on the distance though: guttingly, my PS4 is obviously situated just that little too far away from my shitter coz the lag is insane at best.....

Mine sits about 20 feet away from me in a different room, and remote play still has no issues. I tested it once, it took until I was outside of my house (probably around 30 feet or more from the console) when I had 1-2 bars of wifi that it ever had a substantial amount of lag that affected gameplay.

Reactions: Ryukouki

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
As it's always the case with streaming, your experience is intrinsically connected with your download/upload speeds and ping. If you're planning to use PlayStation Now, make sure that your connection is up to the task.

Game streaming works only with local network, there is so much that can go wrong and makes experience worse when streaming and I just can't figure out why some people are excited about that. I wouldn't expect miracles from Playstation Now and I allready own all the devices which can play same games locally.

Nathan Drake

Obligations fulfilled, now I depart.
Trophies
XP
Country
Bro, we get it. You like the Wii U and you don't like the Vita. It's cool. Both systems are struggling and don't appeal to everybody.

On topic: fantastic article. A lot of people don't understand the merits of the Vita and aren't willing to learn. I legitimately still haven't been able to go out and buy all of the Vita games I want to own, and I've already played 10+ quality games on my Vita since January, which is the most games than I've played on a single system in such a short time since the last time I decided to really invest some PS3 time in. The game collection definitely is not suffering. These aren't games I'm playing simply because they're on the Vita either; these are games I want to own for myself because they're fun.

As for the memory card prices, yep, they suck. No denying it. I'm working with an 8GB card because I just really don't want to spend the money on upgrading, and this is the memory card I got with the system when I traded my Fire Emblem edition 3DS (though, I do actually miss Fire Emblem: Awakening, as it was amazing). If you're smart about it, or as long as you don't feel the need to juggle 10 downloaded titles at a time, it actually isn't that hard to work with 8GB. The fact that you can play games while you download in the background makes the process painless as well.

All in all, I love the system, and I have had more fun with it than I did my 3DS, though that is purely a matter of personal taste. I'll eventually be buying another 3DS again because Pokemon gen 3 remakes, but for now, my Vita has more than enough to tide me over for a long while.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
The game genres which are released on Vita don't really have too much variety to cover most customers' tastes which is why it limits its audience, just as same as the Wii U but since Wii U is a Nintendo product it always has that advantage though Vita despite being a Sony product doesn't have that same luck, as it is a handheld not a home console that has that benefit.

Not even Sony gives a rats ass about Vita, only the fans still try to defend it.

Reactions: Nightwish

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Game streaming works only with local network, there is so much that can go wrong and makes experience worse when streaming and I just can't figure out why some people are excited about that. I wouldn't expect miracles from Playstation Now and I allready own all the devices which can play same games locally.
We live in the age of 1 gigabit Google Fiber, fast internet connections are only going to spread from now on, I don't think online streaming will meet as many hurdles as some of the naysayers claim.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
We live in the age of 1 gigabit Google Fiber, fast internet connections are only going to spread from now on, I don't think online streaming will meet as many hurdles as some of the naysayers claim.

Internet connection in a lot of countries still isn't that great, plus another reason to get games/films/series on discs than digitally streaming.

As well as films/series are far superior on Blu-ray for HD viewing than HD streams.

Reactions: natkoden

mightymuffy

fatbaldpieeater
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Mine sits about 20 feet away from me in a different room, and remote play still has no issues. I tested it once, it took until I was outside of my house (probably around 30 feet or more from the console) when I had 1-2 bars of wifi that it ever had a substantial amount of lag that affected gameplay.
Mmm, sounds about right. I've got a large dormer bungalow & extension. A bit of moving around would sort it, but I don't spend THAT long on the bog anyway! :lol: (Works fine in the lads rooms upstairs) G
I get about the same range with the Wii U gamepad, maybe less actually... Pre-launch, looking at the remote play setup, I thought it was gonna be a bit crappy... just another thing I was pleasantly surprised about the Vita with!

Internet connection in a lot of countries still isn't that great, plus another reason to get games/films/series on discs than digitally streaming.

As well as films/series are far superior on Blu-ray for HD viewing than HD streams.

Perhaps you should try watching something else other than compressed-to-within-an-inch-of-their-life 1.5GB torrents..... Blu-Ray's great of course, but 'far superior' doesn't come into the sentence with a decent HD stream ;)

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina

Yeah, but consoles are not officialy supported on those countries, like mine. Although PS kinda is.

I still have a crappy 3MB connection and that's like the fastest I can get. More than that and the telephone line explodes, leaving me without internet for months. We have some 20mb plans but those are expensive as fuck, 1/3 of the minimum salary. Who's gonna pay that?

Reactions: NahuelDS

GamerzHell9137

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Awesome Article Foxi!
I love that you have put 1-2 min long videos about the games and not a hour long gameplay footage of them. Nice and simple introduction to Vita and its games.
The only thing that it doesn't say is the PS+ Price for Europe and what GB cards it has(4,8,16,32,64 GB only 3 of those were in the article)
Anyways, i find that Vita is a marvelous console even thou its filled with ports(which i actually like and haven't played) and its library that's filled with different genres of games and not focused on one or two or recycled games from the previous generation(I'm looking at you Soul Sacrifice,Danganronpa and Oreshika)

The only downside would be the cards and not so awesome support from Sony's side, but on the 3rd party side its great imo.

I'm still debating to get one or not(cause of the money issue that i have) but i think i'll get one sooner or later cause i'm more of a handheld dude than a console dude(And i don't have a HD TV so next gen isn't so for me right now lol)

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The game genres which are released on Vita don't really have too much variety to cover most customers' tastes which is why it limits its audience, just as same as the Wii U but since Wii U is a Nintendo product it always has that advantage though Vita despite being a Sony product doesn't have that same luck.

Not even Sony gives a rats ass about Vita.
Can you give me a more detailed list of what you'd expect from the system? As far as I know, it's got
  • J/RPG's (FF-X and FF-X-II HD, Tales of Hearts R, Ys: Memories of Celecta, Demon's Gaze and more)
  • FPS'es (KillZone: Mercenary, Borderlands 2, CoD:Blops - Declassified, Resistance: Burning Skies)
  • Third-Person Action/Action-Adventure (Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, God of War Collection, Unit 13, Dynasty Warriors NEXT)
  • 3D platformers (Jak & Daxter Trilogy, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Tearaway, Super Monkey Ball, Touch my Katamari)
  • 2D platformers (Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends, Child of Light, Guacamelee!)
  • Indies (FEZ, Thomas was Alone, Bit.Trip Runner2, LIMBO)
  • Visual novels (Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward, XBlaze Code: Embryo)
  • Racing games (Ridge Racer, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing: Transformed, ModNation Racers: Road Trip, MotorStorm RC, WipeOut 2048)
  • Sports games (MLB: The Show 2013/14, FIFA 13/14, Madden NFL 13, Virtua Tennis 4)
  • Fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Injustice: Gods Among Us, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Street Fighter X Tekken, Dead or Alive 5 Ultimate)
  • RTS'es (New Little King's Story, Army Corps of Hell)
  • Puzzle games (Lumines: Electronic Symphony, Surge, Escape Plan, Chronovolt)
  • "Monster Hunter-Likes" (Soul Sacrifice, Ragnarok Odyssey Ace, Toukiden)
  • Point and Click Adventure games (Machinarium, Broken Sword: Serpent's Curse, The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us)
  • Damn, it even has Farming Simulator if that's how you roll.
I have no idea what "genre shortage" you're talking about here.

natkoden

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Can you give me a more detailed list of what you'd expect from the system? As far as I know, it's got JRPG's (FF-X and FF-X-II HD, Tales of Hearts R, Ys: Memories of Celecta, Demon's Gaze and more), FPS'es (KillZone: Mercenary, Borderlands 2, CoD:Blops - Declassified, Resistance: Burning Skies), third-person action games (Uncharted: Golden Abyss, Gravity Rush, God of War Collection, Unit 13), 3D platformers (Jak & Daxter Trilogy, Ratchet & Clank: Full Frontal Assault, Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time, Tearaway, Super Monkey Ball, Touch my Katamari), 2D platformers (Rayman Origins, Rayman Legends, Child of Light, Guacamelee!) a ton of indies (FEZ, Thomas was Alone, Bit.Trip Runner2, LIMBO), visual novels (Zero Escape: Virtues Last Reward, ), lots of racing games (Ridge Racer, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, Sonic and Sega All-Stars Racing: Transformed, ModNation Racers: Road Trip, MotorStorm RC), sports games (MLB: The Show 2013/14, FIFA 13/14, Madden NFL 13, Virtua Tennis 4), plenty of fighting games (Mortal Kombat, Injustice: Gods Among Us, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift, Street Fighter X Tekken), RTS'es (New Little King's Story, Army Corps of Hell), damn, it even has Farming Simulator if that's how you roll. I have no idea what "genre shortage" you're talking about here.

Most of those games are not system sellers. And many of them are multiplatform or have been released previously.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Remote Play isn't the same as a server running your games. Also you are likely right near your PS4 while you are playing on your vita

Also, I got into the PS Now beta and again had no problems. Same with every other streaming service (OnLive when that was a thing, NVIDIA Grid, etc). OH NO BUT KOTAKU SAID IT WAS BAD THEREFORE IT'S TERRIBLE FOR EVERYONE :cry:

Reactions: Ryukouki

Anima000

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Foxi, like i said on my post the only two games worth it you mentioned, I already have them on my ps3 (persona and ffx remaster), the others just dont cut it for me, i tried or researched at least almost all games u llist.

Most of the rpg games i see on vita mostly come from NIS and well.. is just my personal opinion but theyre a what i call rollercoaster games producer, few of their their games go up, but most of them are on the downside.

I wont say you're advertising ps vita, because I dont really know ppl on these forums and if you like the system, I respect your preferences, but on my opinion 3ds is a more versatile system and the vita doesnt justify the money it costs and im not going into the costs debate there, is because i dont mind paying for something as long as is worth it. ( i actually paid for the ps3 when it was superexpensive but it was worth it, i still own a backward compatible fat ps3)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Most of those games are not system sellers. And many of them are multiplatform or have been released previously.
This is literally just stuff off the top of my head, the system has what, 640 games released for it to date? There's stuff to choose from.
Foxi, like i said on my post the only two games worth it you mentioned, I already have them on my ps3 (persona and ffx remaster), the others just dont cut it for me, i tried or researched at least almost all games u llist.

Most of the rpg games i see on vita mostly come from NIS and well.. is just my personal opinion but theyre a what i call rollercoaster games producer, few of their their games go up, but most of them are on the downside.

I wont say you're advertising ps vita, because I dont really know ppl on these forums and if you like the system, I respect your preferences, but on my opinion 3ds is a more versatile system and the vita doesnt justify the money it costs and im not going into the costs debate there, is because i dont mind paying for something as long as is worth it. ( i actually paid for the ps3 when it was superexpensive but it was worth it, i still own a backward compatible fat ps3)
This is by no means an advert of any kind, it's just me expressing my personal opinion about the systems I happen to own. The PSVita was a community choice - I only wrote the piece. :)

Foxi4

Endless Trash
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
but on other platforms you can't play them on the Bus/Train/School.
For me this is a huge selling point.
Precisely. I don't have a problem with ports of contemporary and good games if they're sold at an affordable price, which is the case with most PSVita ports. What I do have a problem with and what I expressed on the forums numerous times is making ports/lazy remakes of games over a decade old and demanding full retail price for them like *cough cough* that other company. Then again, each to their own - who am I to judge? All I can tell is that I've had a stellar time playing Mortal Kombat on my PSVita - it's an enhanced port and frankly it's a blast.

GameWinner

Take your heart
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't have a problem with ports. I do have a problem if the port runs horribly. We need more ports like The Sly Collection and less like the Full Frontal Assault port.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland

Actually project to get optical fiber to city I live just got shot down with complain because handling that complain takes so long that EU support gets pulled out.
That means I'm still stuck with mobile network for long time. Well at least they finally got LTE here and only limit is that I can't have public IPv4.
3574213773.png

Best part is that I know I still have way better internet connection that some people have.
EDIT: Oh yeah how about sonys servers? I'm fairly sure they won't put servers on every country and not everybody lives in US.

but on other platforms you can't play them on the Bus/Train/School.

For me this is a huge selling point.
Only thing that bothers with this that if you are mainly using other device to play other than playstation you mostly have to rebuy games to play them on go and save files don't work together. So I rather not play same games I play at home on go because of this.

Reactions: Nightwish

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: Too bad, they already drank it.