Beyond Good and Evil

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Warm Woolly Shee, May 3, 2007.

May 3, 2007

Beyond Good and Evil by Warm Woolly Shee at 9:05 AM (1,148 Views / 0 Likes) 13 replies

1. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    According to IGN, Beyond Good and Evil is the 12th best game ever released on the cube. It's a Zelda style game, which I love, and I've started playing it.

Only recently did I realize that there's a PC version. I'm not very far along, and am wondering if I should switch to PC or stay with the cube.

Has anyone played both?

2. legendofphil

Member legendofphil Phil no Densetsu

United Kingdom
    In the head to head on IGN they rate it:

Features: GameCube/PC (Tie)
    Controls: Gamecube (major difference)
    Sound: PC (medium difference)
    Graphics: PC (medium difference)
    Presentation: Gamecube (minor difference)

Overall: Gamecube

Just on controls alone I would get the gamecube version, I have the gamecube version and thought it was great.

3. jalaneme

Member jalaneme Female Gamer

United Kingdom
    lol it's laughable that ign can say it's good as zelda, this is the most hyped game i have ever heard about, i played it on the ps2 and it's nothing special.

4. gloop

Newcomer gloop Member

Netherlands
    ABSOLUTELY go with the gc version. I've encountred many bugs on the PC version, including a dead game bug. So I had to start from the beginning, wich I haven't done, just started playing the GC version.

I'ts a great game btw!

5. Monkey01

Member Monkey01 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Well, if I don't think the hype worked that well then, cause I understood the sales where so dissapointing they stopped making the sequel...
    And ign compares it with Zelda, cause it's a Zelda type game, they don't really say it's as good as Zelda, just that it plays like a Zelda game like they're the same genre, which they are. It's just like the gangsta games in which you have much freedom to choose what to do all get compared to GTA, even if they suck...
    But I think Beyond Good & Evil was pretty good anyway, not as good as Zelda, but pretty good anyway...

I'd personally go for the gamecube version. Cause I like to play games on Consoles better then on a PC, because of controls, installations and the amount of noise my PC makes...

6. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    The hype was generated only after the game failed commercially, and it failed because of bad (nonexistant) marketing. People never heard of the game until it was too late. And only then did the hype start.

As far as gameplay, I wouldn't say it's exactly Zelda-like. It's closer to Thief, for example. Of course it's always easier to compare to a popular game (saves the trouble of having to explain anything; that would require skill, after all), but I don't think it's right.

As far as the console differences go, it's a console game, and should be played on a console. The PC controls will have you throwing the keyboard into a wall and kicking the screen after half an hour. And the camera is disastrous. I had to play one passage around 50 times, because every time, without fail, at the most crucial moment, the camera gets stuck in a pig. [​IMG]

(Or the room with all the trylobites coming out of the wall. The camera gets stuck staring at a patch of floor containing neither Jade nor the trylobites, and you have to spend a minute hitting the "hit" button (equivalent of flailing blindfolded) to eliminate them all and be able to continue.)

7. Icarus

Member Icarus fire walk with me

United States
    I would say, go with the GC version. I beat the game on my GC. Works pretty good and great game too =)
    Just avoid PS2 version and you're good.

8. Samutz

Member Samutz Wet Tissue Sample

United States
    I have the PC version, but I played it all the way through using my gamepad because the PC controls were awkward. And now I can't get it to run properly on my newer computer.
    Get a console version. I'm getting a PS2 copy myself so I can play it again.

9. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    What's wrong with the PS2 version? (Haven't played it.)

10. jumpman17

Former Staff jumpman17 He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!

United States
    I own this game for Gamecube and it's possibly one of the greatest games I have ever played. I played it non-stop for 2 days straight until I beat it.

The sad part though is that Ubisoft released this unknown name game in the Christmas rush. What are parents going to buy their children? Beyond Good and Evil or Super Mario #8351342. Yeah.

The game didn't sell well along with Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time and come the following January, Ubisoft had to make some choices. They said that both games failed to sell and they dropped the price of Beyond Good and Evil to $20 and gave a free copy of Splinter Cell with purchase of Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time.

Now, ironically, both of these games are some of my most favorite games ever. However, Prince of Persia sales picked up just enough for Ubisoft to give it a second game and from there it gained popularity. Beyond Good and Evil however, just didn't make the cut. It was supposed to be a trilogy (hence the cliffhanger ending [​IMG] ) but Ubisoft continually says that they are always thinking about a possible sequel.

11. Warm Woolly Shee
    OP

Member Warm Woolly Shee GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Incredible game, I'm having a blast playing it so far, and the graphics are absolutely beautiful. The production values were probably insane.

I can't believe they sold this for $20, that's criminal. Some PS3 games going for $60 probably didn't have as big of a budget!

Thanks for the suggestions. Cube version is great.

Me neither, but I'd guess the graphics stunk, like the PS2 version of Resident Evil 4. Gamecube was the graphics powerhouse of it's generation, like the PS3 is for this gen.

12. Alastair

Member Alastair GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Oh wow. I've been sitting on this one for a while now. I guess I'd better play it.

13. Darkforce

Former Staff Darkforce DERP!

United Kingdom
    I've got it on the PS2 and played it for 15 mins but the PAL version looked like it was letterboxed and I don't remember being overly impressed with something... possibly controls? So I never really bothered to play it again. If the GC version is any better it might be worth another shot I guess.

And ya PoP SoT was awesome.

[​IMG]

14. sekhu

Member sekhu moo?

United Kingdom
    easily one of my favourite gamecube games, it was during the period where ubisoft were coming out with some good titles before their current departure into boresville and "me too" products. A solid title and worth grabbing