Beyonce sued for over $100M for ruining her own video game

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by prowler, Apr 28, 2011.

1. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]
    International pop star Beyonce Knowles is being sued for over $100 million by developer Gate Five. TMZ has the documents [PDF link], which state the singer made an "extortionate demand" for more money during a "crucial moment" in the production of Starpower: Beyonce. Perhaps she couldn't resist the kind of dollars made by games like Halo (3), Halo (ODST), Halo (Reach).

Gate Five claims it's entitled to the $6.7 million it invested and the $100 million in profits it believes it would have made. The company also claims it had to let 70 employees go a week before Christmas due to Knowles' action, and is seeking an injunction that would prevent Knowles from "commercially associating with any other video game" or using "confidential information" she received in connection with Gate Five. But, Beyonce needs to pay her credit card bills, her telephone bills, her automo-bills...[/p][​IMG] Joystiq

DAMN GIRL YOU IN SOME DEEP SHIT.

2. Snailface

Member Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    Antarctica
    I'd like to give her $100 million for doing us a favor. [​IMG]

3. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    What the hell kind of videogame could she be featured in.
    Good about her being sued, hope they win. Even if they are dumbshits for putting her in a videogame. [​IMG]

4. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    Singstar? Dance Central? Imagine: Pop Star?

5. ShadowSoldier

Member ShadowSoldier GBAtemp Guru

Canada
    Wait wait wait, you mean to say that the company actually thought it would have made $100 million in profits from this game alone? And that they are just NOW suing her?

I don't know why people sue for so much, the higher you go, the likelier it is you're not going to win. Aim low.

I would have said 6 million for the invest, plus another 10 for profits. There's no way that game would have made that much, and even 10 million is being generous.

6. Veho

Croatia
    It has little bearing on the outcome of the trial, but the more you sue for, the more you're likely to get in a settlement. They're suing for $100 million, hoping to get $10 million out of it. It's the standard tactic, start with something exorbitant, and then haggle.

7. JinTrigger

Member JinTrigger Asentrix Studios

United States
    This entire thing is stupid and though its pretty good this game never came into being.....but I don't think the company will win/ $100 million is too much anyway, but whats it to Beyonce....She is a superstar

EDIT - Plus I can probably guarantee that this game would not have made no where near that much.....are they stupid

8. TwinRetro

Global Moderator TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

United States
    Sued for ruining shovelware? I think she should get a medal.

9. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    [​IMG]

Seriously though, they're just making it up, surely? It all sounds too bad to be true. Letting a bus load of employees go a week before Christmas? $100M in profits? Beyonce ain't bad to look at but a game based on her wouldn't make that much even if she'd recently died. See Michael Jackson game flops for details.

Incidentally my friend Kai believes they should win the case. However I suspect that's more wishful than logical thinking on his part, presumably he believes that losing the case would bankrupt her and force her to take off her clothes for whatever reason. I dunno, his mind works on a lower level to the rest of us.

10. Schlupi

Member Schlupi Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniacâ„¢

United States
    God damn. I am sure it's only a dent in her pocket, anyways...

But that's besides the point, how the hell could they possibly get away with this? lol. I don't think they will.

11. Nebz

Member Nebz The N00b

United States
    This made my day so far.
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

But anyway... I doubt this game will or would have sold well unless Beyonce's entire fan-base goes out and buys a copy or 2. I'd like to know what actions she made that would have 70 employees laid off. [​IMG]

12. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    IIRC her main talent is shaking her ass ?_?

13. Ikki

Member Ikki GBATemp's grumpy panda.

Uruguay
    I can't believe people think they can make good money out of a game based off a random pop star.

14. Miss Panda

Member Miss Panda GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Shaken donkey syndrome is on the increase you know. The bitch!

15. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    I have no real stake or opinion in the matter other than the potential for some interesting case so I say it will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Several companies in recent months (Dell and M&S if memory serves) have had nasty looks sent their way by those that care about such things for interesting payment methods/demands- you pay us within X days (as few as we can get away with) but we might wait 90 days- those 90 days might represent a fair bit of time without assets/payment which is not a great position to be in as a small business. Given developers like this are very much troubled by a lack of liquid assets it could be seen as a ploy. Of course it might not be an unjustified ploy (if the game was set to turn out badly this might be a semi legit way of canning it).
    Possible similar situations (not necessarily finance related) in games can possibly be seen in BMX XXX (it was supposed to be a new Dave Mirra title- a small wii game aside from the same guy there does not seem to have been a BMX game since) and more recently 6 days in fallujah.
    Films and in some cases companies have similar issues- you cause the company doing the deed to collapse (or by chance it collapses by itself) and buy up assets in the bankruptcy proceedings.

I imagine it will all be wrapped in an iron clad contract (contracts being a fairly important somewhat longstanding thing to music industry types and especially music industry types that branch into clothes and smellies (I assume that is the case here- I do not loathe myself enough to read up on some tart that happens to be able to warble into an autotune)) so that might be a bit of a speedbump.

Short version- this might actually not be a frivolous lawsuit.

16. Blaze163

Member Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

United Kingdom
    Why does the news always have to be negative? Why can't we have a headline more like 'Beyonce's action cause 70 employees to get laid the week before Christmas'.

17. Gullwing

Member Gullwing Synesthete

Greece
    I used to like her... Now I think she is a bitch

18. Veho

Croatia
    Dance Central it is, then. [​IMG]

19. prowler
    OP

Member prowler Sony

United Kingdom
    o: oh no you dit-ten

20. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvertâ„¢

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    $100 million profits?

So at $50 a game, that's 2,000,000 games sold. But not all of it is profit. Does anybody know an appropriate profit percentage to judge just how many games they actually claim they were going to sell?