Beware teh Phising Sitez!

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by ZzzZilla, Jul 2, 2007.

Jul 2, 2007

Beware teh Phising Sitez! by ZzzZilla at 6:46 PM (1,220 Views / 0 Likes) 6 replies

1. ZzzZilla
    OP

Member ZzzZilla GBAtemp Regular

Singapore
    Okay, I have no idea if this is new or old, but I just received a message from a MSN contact telling me to visit this site.

Code:
    http://www.newmsnlive.info/
    It looked like a pretty useful site, but the need for my account and password (although understandable) set off alarm bells in my head. Googling the site, I found a blog, which led to another site confirming my suspicions. Apparently, the writer also got a similar message from a contact of his (this was in March) and he tried it out. He then discovered people were receiving messages from him promoting the site.

On their FAQ page, they state that their purpose in making the site was to earn money purely through ad views. And it seems they endeavoured to do that by using the account information you provided to lure others on your contact list to their site. Not particularly nefarious, but definitely dishonest.

2. shadowboy

Member shadowboy :D

United States
    Wish I had that idea, sounds brilliant.

3. iTech

Member iTech GBAtemp Regular

United States
  4. Costello

Administrator Costello Headmaster

hahaha...
    when I visit this website, Firefox warns me (phishing warning) and asks me if I want to "get out of this website"
    great

5. Bowser128

Member Bowser128 King Koopa

United Kingdom
    So you clicked a link in a spam email from one of your contacts, and you were surprised the site that made said spam wasn't reputable?

[​IMG]

6. Linkiboy

Member Linkiboy GBAtemp Testing Area

United States
    Oh my god, [​IMG]

from newmsnlive.info faq

" Does Get-Messenger perform Phising? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phising)

Absolutely not. This would be illegal. Get-Messenger DOES NOT save or log your account or password in any way.
    "

7. iTech

Member iTech GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Holy fucking anus!
    Now that's some truly funny shit!