trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not going to criticize the decision not to include backwards compatibility on the PS4 given their choice of architecture moving to x86_64 (can't say I approve of the choice to go to x86, though; not a fan of the architecture). Hell, even if they stuck with PPC, backwards compatibility probably wouldn't have been worth it because of the convoluted cell processor they decided to go with on the PS3, and it would be a mistake to reproduce the cell structure with the new hardware.

But Nintendo has indeed shown a long history of backwards compatibility. You wouldn't expect the N64 to have it with the huge leap into 3D that generation, and you wouldn't expect the Gamecube to have it with the adoption of optical media.
Even if Sony wanted to, there is no point. CELL development had come to a hiatus state, since IBM is more focused on Power and PowerPC. If IBM does not develop new chip for CELL, there is no point to use it on PS4.

When Sony designed PS4 they basically narrowed down to ARM, MIPS, and x86_64. Sony and Microsoft specifically picked x86_64 because it is developer friendly. It is an architecture that many game developers familiar of.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii U is already known to be getting very little 3rd-party support from at least a couple of major companies, so a Wii U is only practical if you love Nintendo's first and 2nd party offerings. Now, I harbor no animosity towards anyone who likes Nintendo's 1st/2nd party games, but I never cared for them. Other than Punch-Out and F-Zero on older Nintendo systems, it was always 3rd-party games that I would play on them.

Not everyone likes Mario and Pokemon and most of those people who don't won't be buying a Wii U, they'll be getting a PS4 or Xbone so they won't be limited to only certain types of games.

It is a problem that Nintendo was bound to face eventually. I ranted about this years ago ON THIS SITE about how Ninty lacked balance between the cutesy games and the more mature games. They almost always make flower-and-bunny games and left all the macho badass games to the 3rd party's.....of which Wii U is lacking.

The general consensus among most gamers is that Nintendo makes kiddie systems and games ever since they started censoring games on the SNES. And Ninty is doing very little to shake that stigma. THAT is currently their issue. Even many loyal Nintendo fans are starting to abandon them, as Wii U sales are showing. Nintendo needs to grow up along with all their original fans if they wish to keep them.

a9cito

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Wii U is already known to be getting very little 3rd-party support from at least a couple of major companies, so a Wii U is only practical if you love Nintendo's first and 2nd party offerings. Now, I harbor no animos ....

I dont know man, i buy ps4 1st day but im already have assassins creed BF, call of duty ghost and unjustice (last one don like but my sons) for wii u, so this new hardware have no games for me right now, indie games seems very simple, battlefield with all his problems is a no for me having CoD. So for ps4 only i have killzone who is a very short game.

jonesman99

GBAtemp's Official ArchAndroid
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That is the most messed up logic I've ever seen...

I bought this because there were no games I wanted for it but for $299 I get the opportunity to play the games I already own and am already able to play on the original system.

How is this messed up logic when you CLEARLY just repeated what I wrote? Just when a game for the actual system is out that you would like to buy, just buy the game. Simple. But, Nintendo has made it nearly impossible to get the system and not get a game to go along with it.

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And the ones that own FPS games on the Xbox & PS, are the first ones to state that "Nintendo is a Kid Friendly Company" HELLO, anyone played Conker 64, Metroid (Retro Studio's franchise), Call of Duty series, Deus EX, Assassin's Creed, Zombi U, Mass Effect, Darksiders, Splinter Cell, Ninja Gaiden. These are NOT kid games! The last time I looked PS & Xbox has Skylanders, Lego games and Just Dance.

elm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I agree, with what Clarky said (above) -----> There is a lot Nintendo has fucked up with the Wii u but it is getting better and better. It has some pretty strong titles but it looks throughout next year Nintendo will be supporting the console by itself, which doesn't bother me too much.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I also choose a Wii U over a PS4...because i feel the Wii U will have a strong year in 2014. PS4 has no gamez.

Great argument. Thanks for the insight.

And the ones that own FPS games on the Xbox & PS, are the first ones to state that "Nintendo is a Kid Friendly Company" HELLO, anyone played Conker 64, Metroid (Retro Studio's franchise), Call of Duty series, Deus EX, Assassin's Creed, Zombi U, Mass Effect, Darksiders, Splinter Cell, Ninja Gaiden. These are NOT kid games! The last time I looked PS & Xbox has Skylanders, Lego games and Just Dance.

Actual strawman argument yay. "Everyone hates Nintendo they're for kids!" Also getting a bunch of ports doesn't make them mature and Conker was like one of the only games that was mature for the N64.

Also Nintendo isn't mature. They still can't make games that are able to explore any sort of mildly adult concept. It's just fluffy and bubbly platformers. That's basically it.

AngryGeek416

Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
Great argument. Thanks for the insight.

Actual strawman argument yay. "Everyone hates Nintendo they're for kids!" Also getting a bunch of ports doesn't make them mature and Conker was like one of the only games that was mature for the N64.

Also Nintendo isn't mature. They still can't make games that are able to explore any sort of mildly adult concept. It's just fluffy and bubbly platformers. That's basically it.

It was't a argument, i'm stating the fact that i purchased a Wii U instead of a PS4. Why even bother reply to me? you know i'm just gonna call you out for you're massive trolling attempts in this thread. People like Nintendo get over it, and currently the Wii U does have better games than the PS4. The PS3 will have the strongest year of all the consoles so it's irrelevant anyways.

P.S. Guild i don't say this often but i think....i think...i hate you? ya i'm sure of it. Please go away.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It was't a argument, i'm stating the fact that i purchased a Wii U instead of a PS4. Why even bother reply to me? you know i'm just gonna call you out for you're massive trolling attempts in this thread. People like Nintendo get over it, and currently the Wii U does have better games than the PS4. The PS3 will have the strongest year of all the consoles so it's irrelevant anyways.

P.S. Guild i don't say this often but i think....i think...i hate you? ya i'm sure of it. Please go away.

So you're gonna hoot and holler about trolls in the dungeon and not really defend anything.

Okay that's chill as hell.

Also if you really hate someone over the internet then you have some serious problems man.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

If Conker would've been ported to the PS2, wouldn't it still have been mature? I don't think games lose their maturity when they get ported to different systems. Their rating from the ESRB doesn't change. Unless you're talking about maturity on a spiritual/emotional level, then I don't think they lose anything.

And, why should they have to turn a Mario game into a God of War/Resident Evil type game? Would that convince you that they can make games that explore some adult concepts? Because it sounds like you don't think the Metroid series is for mature gamers.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If Conker would've been ported to the PS2, wouldn't it still have been mature? I don't think games lose their maturity when they get ported to different systems. Their rating from the ESRB doesn't change. Unless you're talking about maturity on a spiritual/emotional level, then I don't think they lose anything.

And, why should they have to turn a Mario game into a God of War/Resident Evil type game? Would that convince you that they can make games that explore some adult concepts? Because it sounds like you don't think the Metroid series is for mature gamers.

Maturity goes beyond sex and violence. I was more so talking about themes in games and storytelling, fields Nintendo has never done well in.

I don't think Metroid is a game designed for mature players but it's not light and fluffy like Mario. It's like in between, and its always been.

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maturity goes beyond sex and violence. I was more so talking about themes in games and storytelling, fields Nintendo has never done well in.

I don't think Metroid is a game designed for mature players but it's not light and fluffy like Mario. It's like in between, and its always been.

Bowser kidnaps Peach; Mario rescues her. It's a simple story, but it works. It's worked for countless games they made. Themes: just what is the theme of a Mario game? Is it dark? Is it light? Is it comedic? Or in the case of Paper Mario RPG, is it more than just a regular Mario theme? The second and third Paper Mario games really stick out in my mind because they're so different from all the other games. Even Mario's Time Machine and Super Mario RPG stand out. And let's not forget the sports games Mario is in; those themes have nothing to do with rescuing a princess. Of course, it'd be cool if they'd make a game where Peach gets kidnapped, but Mario has to go through 8 worlds of sports to rescue her.

I suppose that mature games are the ones rated M, so Metroid wouldn't count. There's no way games rated T for Teen could ever be mature because most teenagers aren't mature...

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
How is this messed up logic when you CLEARLY just repeated what I wrote? Just when a game for the actual system is out that you would like to buy, just buy the game. Simple. But, Nintendo has made it nearly impossible to get the system and not get a game to go along with it.

Because spending $300 on a system just to play games you are already able to play makes no sense at all.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Bowser kidnaps Peach; Mario rescues her. It's a simple story, but it works. It's worked for countless games they made. Themes: just what is the theme of a Mario game? Is it dark? Is it light? Is it comedic? Or in the case of Paper Mario RPG, is it more than just a regular Mario theme? The second and third Paper Mario games really stick out in my mind because they're so different from all the other games. Even Mario's Time Machine and Super Mario RPG stand out. And let's not forget the sports games Mario is in; those themes have nothing to do with rescuing a princess. Of course, it'd be cool if they'd make a game where Peach gets kidnapped, but Mario has to go through 8 worlds of sports to rescue her.

I suppose that mature games are the ones rated M, so Metroid wouldn't count. There's no way games rated T for Teen could ever be mature because most teenagers aren't mature...

I'm not talking about taking an existing franchise and making it "mature", I'm talking about making new franchises.

Nintendo's franchises are old and tired, severely worn out creatively. They need something new and original. Something that can entice a crowd of gamers who are looking for mature games. Mature as in games that cater to their tastes in story and theme. Not "hurr durr muh blood and gore and boobs".

Mario RPG games don't have good stories just kinda cutesy humor that you have a minor chuckle over and then kinda move on.

Nintendo has pretty much no talent in writing a story. I think Other M demonstrated that. Yes, the story was done by Nintendo, not by Team Ninja.

Also rating doesn't label audience. PG-13 movies aren't for teens all the time (it's about the equivalent of a T rating).

calmwaters

Cat's best friend
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not talking about taking an existing franchise and making it "mature", I'm talking about making new franchises.

Nintendo's franchises are old and tired, severely worn out creatively. They need something new and original. Something that can entice a crowd of gamers who are looking for mature games. Mature as in games that cater to their tastes in story and theme. Not "hurr durr muh blood and gore and boobs".

Mario RPG games don't have good stories just kinda cutesy humor that you have a minor chuckle over and then kinda move on.

Nintendo has pretty much no talent in writing a story. I think Other M demonstrated that. Yes, the story was done by Nintendo, not by Team Ninja.

Also rating doesn't label audience. PG-13 movies aren't for teens all the time (it's about the equivalent of a T rating).

The moment you stop believing in creativity, it dies. And nothing short of a miracle will convince you otherwise. And all you're left with is a horrifically negative view of the world (the gaming world in this instance) and you insist on imposing this view onto people. As far as I'm concerned, a game is mature if the ESRB gives it an M rating. (It's the equivalent of an R in movies.) But of course no one cares about the ESRB anymore.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The moment you stop believing in creativity, it dies. And nothing short of a miracle will convince you otherwise. And all you're left with is a horrifically negative view of the world (the gaming world in this instance) and you insist on imposing this view onto people. As far as I'm concerned, a game is mature if the ESRB gives it an M rating. (It's the equivalent of an R in movies.) But of course no one cares about the ESRB anymore.

You're missing my point that what can be considered "mature" extends far beyond something that can be related, like sex and gore.

And it's hard to say Nintendo is still creative when they've produced the same franchises for decades, with most of them being incredibly samey. And their "creativity" is console gimmicks now, not creating intuitive gameplay like they used to.

Your point sounds like "Just believe Nintendo is creative and they'll be creative!" Which makes absolutely no sense.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: But I bet that would be more for a flashcart than a consumer repro board.