Better GBA emulation;Acekard2i + 3in1 or Supecard DSTWO?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Trojita, Aug 15, 2010.

1. Trojita
    OP

Newcomer Trojita Newbie

United States
    Hello,

I was thinking about getting a flashcard so that I could get the japanese maps on DQ9 but if I was going to buy one I'd like the one with better GBA emulation to play my backups.

I have heard that the Supercard DSTWO's GBA emulation isn't perfect and it is doing just that, emulating the GBA system. Does the 3 in 1 act similar to the GBA slot in the bottom as far as most games should work on it ie is this actually emulating or just playing a backup as though it was a game in the system?

I have a DSi XL, DS Lite, and original DS. If the best GBA emulation option is only for the DS Lite, that is fine.

2. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Just to clarify, this is what you'd be getting.

The 3in1 is a Slot-2 device for the DS Lite, it plugs into the GBA slot, and loads GBA ROMS from Slot-1 such as an Acekard 2i, but it can be done with any Slot-1 card.
    The 3in1 does not emulate, it plays them natively. This means the 3in1 plays GBA games perfectly with no problems and perfect speed.

The Supercard DStwo makes it possible to play GBA games on the DSi, by using its integrated 360mhz processor. It is being emulated, and whilst it is still very good, some games are slower, and have compatibility issues. For example, Golden Sun is not very playable.

If GBA games are very important to you, I suggest you go for the Acekard 2i with an EZ Flash 3in1.
    Otherwise, look into the Supercard DStwo.
    Either will end up costing you $35.

3. dnniwa485

Member dnniwa485 GBAtemp Fan

DSTWO + EZ 3-in-1 = FTW!!!

anyway... just as he said.. EZ 3-in-1 is a slot-2 solution that lets you play gba games on it.. you need atleast any flashcard with DLDI access to use the homebrew called "GBA ExpLoader" to dump games in EZ 3-in-1.

AceKard2/i is just a mere slot-1 flashcart that can only load NDS commercial ROMS and homebrews, and cant possibly emulate GBA without a help of additional CPU.

4. DarkCrudus

Member DarkCrudus The Ghost

United States
    Get the Acekard 2 and EZ flash 3in1. the acekard has the ability to play gba games with the ezflash 3in1. i dont like the gba exploader since they havent updated it in such a long time that the newer ez flashes have problems with it. at least mine did.

Also if using AKAIO for gba backups, load the acekard, press start, click more, then 3in1/FAS1 and enable "backup gba save at startup" and "prompt before save/load"

5. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    if however ou own a dsi then you need to get a DSTWO

6. RupeeClock

Member RupeeClock Colors 3D Snivy!

United Kingdom
    Trojita owns a DSiXL, DS Lite and DS Phat, so he can opt for the EZ Flash combo.

7. Trojita
    OP

Newcomer Trojita Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the answers guys.

What kind of micro sd card do you recommend to use with the Acekard2i?

I heard having a better class card is better for speed. Is class 4 enough or should I be looking for class 6? Does a higher capacity create any extra problems if there is too much space?

What are some good companies for buying a micro sd? I saw Transcend and was thinking about getting a class 6 card from them but I'm worried about their warranty. It seems that every review I saw where the person had a card that wasn't working when they sent it back and then received the "fixed" one back in a box, they were all broken in half.

8. Eclipse42

Newcomer Eclipse42 Member

United States
    I'd actually recommend the 2.1 over the 2i, for the superior build quality.

Also, any class 4 or 6 card should be good enough, just be sure that it's a name brand and that it has a high access rate.

EDIT: Here's the card I got off of Newegg. It has served me well, and I personally recommend it. (Transcend is the OEM of Samsung, FYI)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16820208453

9. Dter ic

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    but he has a dsi xl so just get the acekard2i and forget the acekaard2.1

10. tk_saturn

Member tk_saturn GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    As you have multiple consoles, You could get the DSTWO for the DSi XL and a 1:1 R4 for one of your other consoles (it's just $6 from ShopTemp), although it only supports MicroSD cards upto 2GB they do run Wood R4 and are very handy to have even if just for a spare. If you find the DSTWO emulation isn't good enough, you can later get a EZ-Flash 3in1 which will work woth both carts. There's an option in the DSTWO to increase the amount of processing power for GBA Emulation (at the cost of battery life)

The Transcend Class 6 cards are fine are and are OEM Samsung, The white Samsung Class 6 cards are fine, the Japanese Kingston Class 4 are fine (but avoid those made in Taiwan), the A-Data class 6 are fine too. As you're in the US, i'd probably get the MicroSD from newegg.