Bethesda will patch the new DOOM re-releases to make the mandatory login optional

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jul 28, 2019.

1. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    You forgot the main event, more updates to Fallout 76.

And the news on Elder Scrolls 6 is that there is no news.

Subtle Demise and Essasetic like this.
  2. Memoir

Memoir Hi, I'm Cynical!

Jun 24, 2007
    United States
    In the Murderbox!
    The fact you refer to it as "playing it in an emulator" is concerning...

Subtle Demise likes this.
  3. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    I wonder what level of incompetence is required to not play-test the game and see this crap? "It's meant to be optional", then how come it wasn't fixed before release? Sure someone in the distributor company would have had this play tested and discovered this glaring problem from the start. Heck, they just had to boot up the game and see the message. So saying it wasn't meant to be mandatory either is a load of BS, or someone was really really incompetent to allow it through the first time.

SlasherGamer21 likes this.
  4. Viri

Viri GBAtemp Addict

Sep 13, 2009
    United States
    Remember those PAL V NTSC Sonic 1 comparison? This reminds me of that, just take a listen.

New

Old

5. AbyssalMonkey

AbyssalMonkey GBAtemp Fan

Jun 5, 2013
    Antarctica
    Prox
    Incompetence is their excuse because they can't admit they wanted to force people to join their service at any means necessary. If they admitted that, they would get even more backlash than what they currently did.

It's a win-win for them to release it in such a state: they don't take as much negative PR from openly admitting being assholes, and they also get to grab in the gullible or the uncaring into their service. They see no need to be above board when it is only downsides.

Fuck Bethesda and fuck the entire AAA industry. I don't even bother to pirate their games anymore because they are all based around MTX progression and not actual gameplay.

6. eyeliner

eyeliner Has an itch needing to be scratched.

Feb 17, 2006
    Portugal
    By the way, have people started messing with the game, trying to mix the wads from other Doom variations?

7. borka

borka Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Aug 12, 2008
    Serbia, Republic of
    It is not incompetence. No way.

They had these lines in the eShop, that the Bethesda login is required for Doom I/II. (But not for the III).

So it 100% was intentional (you just can't pretend that it is an error if you yourself stated otherwise in the official requirements), and they are just backing out.

An no, it was not DRM. They are not so stupid. It was damned marketing and pushing and promoting their online club by any means.

Last edited by borka, Jul 28, 2019
    Subtle Demise and lexarvn like this.
  8. kuwanger

kuwanger GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jul 26, 2006
    United States
    Meanwhile, DOOM 3 BFG which includes all three games is selling for $6.59 on Steam and as Memoir points out you can just grab the data files to play in a source port (I'm on Linux, so that's basically a necessity). Add to this the option to play with neural net enhanced graphics, different resolutions, lots of options on lighting, etc. I've done the same with Heretic/Hexen (was only $4.99 during the Summer Steam Sale) and Strife (was free for Twitch Prime some time ago).

Now imagine what it'd be like if Nintendo supported homebrew? Poor Bethesda might be out $10 for rereleasing 25 year old game plus whatever advantage it gets from this whole login fiasco--and obviously they only require it for their own advantage. People shouldn't have to hack their Switch and void their warranty to get basic access to their hardware. Nintendo shouldn't act as a gatekeeper, enriching themselves along the way, to keep reselling the same games. Really, Bethesda is merely guilty of trying to cash in like everyone else; ie, it's rotten from the top.

Memoir likes this.
  9. raxadian

raxadian GBAtemp Maniac

Nov 10, 2018
    Argentina
    And another reason to use the fan made ports then.

Essasetic and SlasherGamer21 like this.
  10. SlasherGamer21

SlasherGamer21 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 27, 2019
    Saudi Arabia
    Hell
    Keep calling it that. Your just like the other guy I ousted for defending Bethesda. It is DRM. If you have to be online to play the damn game then it is 100% DRM. You need to search up the facts and read the books before you go out spurring false info.

Bladexdsl, Subtle Demise and raxadian like this.
  11. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

May 28, 2015
    On the switch (backup) you dont, ive been playing them.

Hence my point people who bitch about drm or this, whats the deal in having an account if your legit then its no harm.

Like someone mentioned about here, bitch about habing to have an account to use the forum.

People who bitch are likely those that pirate and cant make the account because it wont work or they get banned.

But again for switch its not needed i know ive been playing and looking for codes and ive not had to make an account or log in.

12. tiamat999

tiamat999 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 28, 2013
    United States
    Well steaming wasn't enough now we got drm streaming probably coming welp now gaming's dead pack it up every one

13. Issac

Issac I

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Issac is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 10, 2004
    Sweden
    Sweden
    Could be like in my case, legit user who don't have access to wifi at all times, and actually had trouble playing thanks to it earlier today (like I previously wrote in this thread).
    Sure, I don't have a big problem with having to create and link an account, more than it's a step that I don't really see the reason for. I want my console games to be on the console and not require any third party log-in or server or whatever to run. However, it's not more than a minor annoyance. BUT the "you have to go online when you boot the game" part sucks. And so do the error that pops up when you've been logged off from the servers while being in sleep mode. And trying to continue to play the game and get a pop-up every 5 seconds... That was horrible!

Last edited by Issac, Jul 29, 2019
    Subtle Demise and SlasherGamer21 like this.
  14. eherrera322

eherrera322 Member

Newcomer
    May 21, 2012
    United States
    USA
    Had to make another email for this darn thing. Long live patches!

15. xdarkx

xdarkx GBAtemp Fan

May 9, 2007
    Canada
    I have no clue what are you talking about. What do you mean by backup? I buy my games straight from eshop if I am on my Switch. Also, if this is not DRM then what should it be? Or better yet, how would you define DRM? The fact that you are force to create an account in order to access certain features should signal DRM, or in this case, to play Doom 1 and 2.

16. Dr.Hacknik

Dr.Hacknik Advanced Maniac | Dev | Trans

GBAtemp Patron
    Dr.Hacknik is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 26, 2014
    United States
    inside your fridge
    I find it more odd DOOM I and II are ported into unity. Best guess is for ease of porting, but still A DRM is just dumb.

Memoir likes this.
  17. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Addict

May 28, 2015
    Yet i dont need to create an account i cannolay doom 1 2 and 3 without one.

Why do people bitch drm ehh.

And mine are nsps sx os

18. Tigran

Tigran GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    You can play the games offline just fine.

Also.. you can use any email.. LITERALLY any email. Even something like "Bethesdasucks@bethesdasucks.com" and it'll take it.

It's a stupid decision, or bad QA, but it sure as hell isn't DRM.

lexarvn likes this.
  19. Ericthegreat

Ericthegreat Not New Member

Nov 8, 2008
    United States
    Vana'diel
    So your saying you can just play in airplane mode? btw I think they said it was only there for "slayer points" not drm.

20. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner Mad Dog of Rambling and Insanity

Feb 16, 2017
    United States
    With a mix of "the fans will fix everything!...on PC, though. You're gonna get banned on anything else!"