Trolly

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Undaunted by uneven sales of mature-rated Wii games, Bethesda is storming into the breach with an unannounced mature game for Nintendo's blockbuster console. In a new interview with Games Industry, Bethesda's European managing director Sean Brennan made no bones about his firm's plans. "We are going to make an announcement on a really big Wii game this year, we've got a couple of other things in the pipeline," said Brennan in the interview.

Bethesda appears to only be interested in the mature corner of the market. Brennan expressed no interest in casual titles or the minigame collections that currently fill shelves in the Wii sections at retail. He admits that mature-rated games may only be directed at five-percent of the Wii base, but Brennan sees that as an opportunity instead of a hindrance. "If it's five-percent of the market and you can own that space it's worth doing because you can achieve volume," said Brennan.

Up to this point, Bethesda has been primarily focused on delivering high-quality hardcore games to audiences on the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC. Bethesda's recent Fallout 3 was a monster hit. But the game maker's decision to now target the Wii shows that Bethesda is not going to cede any corner of the market to its rivals. If it can foster the kind of heat, hype, and loyalty in the Wii space as it has with 360 gamers, Bethesda could have another hit on its hands with an entirely new audience. Wii gamers that lament the lack of hardcore, harder-edged games on Nintendo's white box should only welcome this development.

Source: http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/983/983972p1.html

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While Bethesda did the excellent Elder Scrolls, they have also made some really horrible games in the past.

Still they regard it as a "big" title so I hope for the best as when they do go all out on a title it seems to work out well.

Kinda bored of these "announcements of announcements" though.

Trolly

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Fair point, E3 is gonna be pretty awesome as a result of it though. And you mean the excellent Fallout 3 as well of course
wink.gif

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Trolly said:
QUOTE said:
Fair point, E3 is gonna be pretty awesome as a result of it though. And you mean the excellent Fallout 3 as well of course
wink.gif
Sadly I could never get into the 3rd Fallout.

cosmiccow

Original Hippie
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Yay for Bethesda!

Fallout 3 is awesome. It's such a great experience, all around very good atmosphere. I hope they get something like that on the Wii - not necessarily the same genre or setting as FO3 - but that "complete" feeling that everything in the game fits somehow. They're pulling off some real immersive gameplay.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fallout 3 is good, I'm replaying it ATM. To be honest, I found it to be just to similar to TESIV: Oblivion. But it's no Oblivion, and I love Oblivion... Fallout 3 was good, yes, but nowhere as good as the first two games.

Anyway, I really hope it's something good. I wouldn't mind a TES game on Wii, even if it's something like Redguard or TES Travels
tongue.gif

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. That would be a complete 180 for them, considering what Todd Howard has said in the past. Of course, he's not the business end of the company. Will be interesting, to say the least.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Fallout: Animal Crossing edition.

Elder Scrolls for the Wii would be cool.

I think its safe to guess they'll start with a basic easy to grasp action game for their first Wii game.
No one enteres a market with their best hit right off the bat.

Really nice though to see more developers going for the more mature more core style games for the Wii.
Kinda what you wouldn't expect with the games not making the big sales, but hey, they know who the "core" gamers are. We aren't as big as the "casual" crowd but always seek and buy top notch games, so the sales are always there, just not as big.
Bethesda is making a smart move that'll make them look good among the core crowd.
I'll be watching for their games for awhile.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl: :discuss: