Bethesda is suing Warner Bros' Westworld game over alleged "stolen assets"

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Jun 23, 2018.

Front-page
    2018-06-19-image-11.

Yesterday, Behavior Interactive released a new mobile game based on the Westworld TV show of the same name. Shortly after, Bethesda Softworks filed a lawsuit against developer Behavior Interactive, as well as the game's publisher, Warner Bros. The company claimed that Behavior, who also worked on Bethesda's mobile game, Fallout Shelter, had re-used assets from Fallout Shelter to create Westworld. Also mentioned in the suit is that Behavior had allegedly taken the code from Fallout Shelter, which had been "blatantly re-used to rush out a new game after seeing the latter game's success."

Bethesda is quite confident that the exact code was stolen, due to a specific bug that Fallout Shelter had at launch, which would cause camera issues, relating to an off-center focus when zoomed in. Westworld supposedly has this exact same problem, leading them to believe that both games share the code, which is owned wholly by Bethesda Softworks.

The full list of charges against both Behavior and W.B. are copyright infringement, unfair competition, breach of contract, and distributing trade secrets. Bethesda has filed the case in the Maryland U.S. District Court, where a trial will potentially take place. The full court document is in the source below.

tZnAACa.

:arrow: Source

Discussion (35 replies)
  1. brickmii82

brickmii82 GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 21, 2015
    United States
    I prophesize a settlement in the works.

Thunder Hawk, Zonark and Chary like this.
  2. StarGazerTom

StarGazerTom GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Feb 2, 2015
    Damn, the underlying code is even bugged in the same way? How the fuck did Behaviour think they'd get away with double dipping?

Honestly sounds like WB are getting ripped off on that one and getting hit in the clash.

FateForWindows, Pluupy, Xzi and 6 others like this.
  3. souler92

souler92 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 5, 2017
    Netherlands
    i bet warner bros has to make a skyrim movie, and a skyrim themed park...

4. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I hope Bethesda loses. Getting tired of these sue happy companies thinking they own every little thing.

tbb043 and Subtle Demise like this.
  5. nero99

nero99 GBAtemp Addict

Sep 18, 2014
    United States
    Well they own the rights to fall out, which means they own the rights to any and all code used to make a mobile game licensed or created by them. They have every right to sue the shit out of a company that re-used the code with out permission

6. LittleFlame

LittleFlame I was way off, you guys suck

Jan 30, 2015
    Netherlands
    The Death Road to Canada
    They own all the rights to the code used, this isn't sue happy this is a legitimate reason

7. Kigiru

Kigiru GBAtemp Regular

Aug 11, 2017
    Poland
    I mean, in this case they have pretty much right to do what they do. Fallout Shelter is entirely their property and Behavior has no right to reuse its code in other games.

Chary likes this.
  8. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ Now chibi!

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    Leave it to Bethesda to use a bug to point out that game content was stolen.

9. ShonenJump

ShonenJump Creator of "Color Fever" Comic

Mar 14, 2009
    Netherlands
    Planet Feveroid
    That's not good company Behavior to re-use the code.

Last edited by ShonenJump, Jun 23, 2018
    Sumasuun likes this.
  10. hippy dave

hippy dave BBMB

Apr 30, 2012
    United Kingdom
    Ouch, that sounds like a really painful place to get hit.

DKB likes this.
  11. Chary
    OP

Chary Never sleeps.

pip Senior Editor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Chary is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 2, 2012
    United States
    They signed a legal binding contract stating that Behavior's code was Bethesda's to own once work on Fallout Shelter was complete. They then turned around and used the code regardless of the law for another game. If you don't see that as an issue then there's something wrong.

Pluupy, migles, matpower and 6 others like this.
  12. dimmidice

dimmidice GBAtemp Addict

Sep 12, 2009
    Belgium
    You didn't read the article did you? Typical.

13. The Frenchman

The Frenchman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Apr 13, 2008
    Canada
    Unless Behavior can prove that they made Fallout Shelter on an engine entirely built by themselves prior to Fallout Shelter and that they can do whatever they want with that engine.

But if they built everything with Bethesda money, they're stupid and naive. Sad to see fellow Quebecois getting sued but that's what you get for being stupid and greedy. You want to bitch out to all companies and grab cash easily? You can't do that.

14. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    You have to remember that a company that made a Wii Game was sued with the exact same finding. Open Source developers discovered that a game, Freddi Fish, for the Wii was using ScummVM code because of a common rendering bug. The problem in this case wasn't about stolen copy protected code, but it was that they violated the GPL, and not to mention GPL code couldn't be used with Nintendo's Proprietary code as stated under Nintendo's contracts, however again it was originally discovered and confirmed by a known rendering bug, much like this case.

15. Burlsol

Burlsol Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 7, 2015
    Don't joke, they have ported Skyrim to about everything else and a movie can be written, directed, and shot within a year.

16. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    Portugal
    Proud to be Portuguese 100%!
    That's between them. And that's their problem. Not mine.

17. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    I did read it and that won't change my opinion on the matter. Besides, Bethesda sued Mojang in the past for having the word Scrolls in a game name. (Sorry for deflecting, just don't like Bethesda as a company since they ruined Fallout.)

18. bi388

bi388 GBAtemp Maniac

May 29, 2015
    United States
    I agree theyre shit but theyre still in the right here, unless it hilariously turns out the code wasnt stolen and was brand new which would be amazing.

DarthDub likes this.
  19. gamesquest1

gamesquest1 Nabnut

GBAtemp Patron
    gamesquest1 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 23, 2013
    Bethesda's bugs were actually a very subtle form of DRM fingerprinting all along, I see no other reason for back flipping horses and eyeballs popping out of heads, its so obvious now

Last edited by gamesquest1, Jun 24, 2018
    Sumasuun and Chary like this.