Bethesda gives new information about Starfield, details factions and companions

A new developer diary from Bethesda gives us a new glimpse at how their latest RPG, Starfield, is coming along. The 5-minute long video doesn't show off anything in terms of actual gameplay, but it does offer a look at concept art and has Bethesda's team of developers explain what kind of experience they want to create with Starfield. Lead quest designer Will Shen, who has worked on Skyrim, Fallout 4, and its DLC, Far Harbor, along with design director Emil Pagliarulo, lead writer of Fallout 3, sat down with Todd Howard to discuss how Starfield takes aspects of their past RPGs and builds upon them in new ways.

In the video, we learn that Starfield will have four major factions: Freestar Collective which is described as a "space western fantasy", Ryujin Industries who is very corporate, the Crimson Fleet who are a group of pirates that are referred to as the bad guys, and the United Colonies, who oppose them. You'll be able to side with both of the latter factions that hate each other without losing out on quests.

Howard: It’s nice with Starfield to go back to some things we didn’t do — the backgrounds, the traits, defining your character, all of those stats. There are so many games that do those things that people are ready for something that does a lot of the things that older, hardcore RPGs — some that we used to do, doing those again in a new way​

Also mentioned was the return of The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion's persuasion minigame, in a new form. Companions are also going to be a major part of the game, as they have been in other Bethesda titles.

Howard: It feels like you're having a conversastion where you're actually trying to persuade somebody of something. As far as new systems in dialogue, I think it's definitely one of the most successful ones that we've had.

Starfield will be out as an Xbox console exclusive on the Series X|S, and on PC on November 11, 2022.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
this along with the game pass, is why I bought an Xbox SX over a PS5
Nice to see some of those acquisitions are finally paying off for Xbox.. Xbox lacked in the exclusives department (apart from the usual suspects), hopefully that'll start changing soon and others (studios) will be following suit as well.

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are we, five or six trailers in with zero gameplay footage?
Yeah they're really secretive about it and haven't shown any gameplay to speak off.. probably that'll change at E3.
Are there really that many bugs? Silly question I know...this is Bethesda we're talking about
Bugs i can deal with, i just don't want to see micro-transactions built into the base game, or any online related BS..

Reactions: 6adget

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: I could claw back 14tb by only doing 2 parity disks but I feel like with 13 disks in the RAID...