1. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Brazil
    it's possible to host a server with my pc to play with others? if you add some online function?

2. Desynched

OP Desynched GBAtemp Regular

United States
    The feeling is mutual :)

If you can, please try the computer opponent when I release this next version on Feb 8th or so!

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That is definitely possible, and something I've been wanting to do. However, I have some major refactoring to do before I can add a feature like that. Sorry, but it may be a while before that comes to the game

3. Pickpickles

Pickpickles Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Doesn't the 3DS use an encrypted wireless channel for local play? I haven't seen an instance of a PC connecting to a 3ds.

4. Desynched

United States
    The idea is to have the pc host on a regular socket, and the 3ds guests to connect using regular sockets instead of local play. Like a separate multiplayer option.

You are right, and so I'd need to have that game connect a different way

5. Desynched

United States
    I'm not sure if the release of 0.2.4 will be today. We'll see how far I get implementing a computer opponent menu with difficulty settings.

I also need to find the root of a strange bug.

On the other hand, the game will correctly close itself if you close the lid (or exit using the home menu button in the cia version).

LucarioWolf likes this.
  6. Desynched

United States
    I just ended up helping other students all day today.

Tomorrow I'll be studying for two tests, so I may not have much time between classes to get this version out as soon as I hoped.

I've refactored a lot of the code to do a few things in this next update:
    • Added a scene stack to make it easier in the future to add menus and other things, as well as fix the bug of closing incorrectly when leaving the game without pressing start. This also made it easier to go back to the start screen if you quit during gameplay or at the end of round screen.
    • Solved a memory corruption problem that caused weird behavior sometimes.
    • Used a more efficient method for drawing the snakes.

Before I can release the next version update I need to finish the following:
    • Finish refactoring code into separate functions for the scene stack, and link them correctly. Right now the only scenes that link correctly are when playing offline. (start menu -> game options and start screen -> setup round -> game -> end of round -> game, etc)
    • Add some tweaks to the computer opponents that can increase or decrease their difficulty. Right now it can play very well, so it would be too difficult to beat if it's allowed to go fast, but I've found it too easy if it is not.
    • Add a menu for selecting number of computer opponents for offline play, and for selecting their difficulties.
    • Test all the things!
    I know I'm not getting paid or have any real obligation, but I still want to deliver things on time and in good quality. So thanks for being patient!

Quantumcat likes this.
  7. Pickpickles

Pickpickles Member
    Newcomer

United States
    The highest difficulty AI should be hard like the AI in Pong. Would it be possible to create 2 player local play pong?

8. Desynched

United States
    Yes, it is.

I will have the highest difficulty setting for the ai in snakes hopefully be very difficult, but I want a medium difficulty as well.

9. derthomas

derthomas Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    download play locally doesnt work right?

10. Desynched

United States
    I'm not sure if you mean Nintendo download play or a "download play" that I make specifically for Snakes. In the latter case, I haven't made one.

Snakes requires both 3ds's to have Snakes installed before the local play will work in the game. You also need to be sure your 3ds has wifi enabled. Local play doesn't require a wifi connection, but it makes its own hidden connection. This means you can local play using two 3ds's in the middle of nowhere.

However, Nintendo download play is different. It makes sure the game you want to download play is an official title, or it won't download play it at all. This game cannot spoof a real Nintendo game, so using Nintendo's download play for Snakes is impossible at the moment.

I hope I answered your question!

Quantumcat likes this.
  11. derthomas

derthomas Advanced Member
    Newcomer

Germany
    Thanks for your respone. I meant the download play option offered by nintendo, yeah. Thought thats its possible to spoof an original game to trick the system behind it. Apparently not, too bad. Most people in my streetpass meetings dont have a modded 3ds ;)

12. Desynched

United States
    Yeah, and it's going to be even more rare now that 11.3 has dropped.

It's unfortunate :(

13. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Australia
    Do what I do and prepare some SD cards with SoundHax for the latest firmware, and Snakes in the 3ds folder. At your Streetpass meetups you can get them to use one of your SD cards. This is easier if they have old 3DS' of course.

14. Desynched

United States
    There is a memory corruption or undefined behavior problem I am trying to find the source of. Unfortunately this kind of problem is one of the more difficult ones to spot. But, due to this problem, the game is not in shape to be released.

Hopefully I can find the time and the needed approach to find this problem soon.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  15. Desynched

United States
    I have solved the bug I was having a hard time tracking down. This means I can start implementing the new menu and hopefully release 0.2.4 soon.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

I didn't realize SoundHax worked for 11.3! I wish that was as good as it sounds, but unfortuntately, I read this from the 3ds hacking community:

So it looks like we are still waiting for a new payload for 11.3

16. Quantumcat

Quantumcat Dead and alive

Australia
    Ah I forgot about 11.3. I'm sure it will work again soon though.

17. Pickpickles

Pickpickles Member
    Newcomer

United States
    Does the old Nintendo DS download play have signature verification as well?

18. Desynched

United States
    Not sure. I never owned one, so I don't know much about them.

19. Desynched

United States
    So I've got kind of an interesting way to set the computer opponents settings.

edit: To access this hidden menu, press L and R at the normal computer opponents menu screen.

You can adjust 3 things separately for up to 3 bot opponents:
    • Allow to go fast [when A is enabled]
    • Precision (20% minimum, 100% maximum)
    • Patience (0 to 100)
    Allowing the bot to go fast is basically how difficult he is to beat. When he's able to go fast, I'd suggest playing with his precision (which is how likely he is to turn precisely when he wants to)

Precision is actually how precise his turning is. 80% is default right now, and that means 80% of the time he should turn, he will. This could compound, and he could potentially overshoot 4 times in a row (or more) - which is interesting. This is to make the illusion of a real player, so he won't always be able to go through tight spaces.

Patience is interesting. Patience determines how long the bot will wait until it tries to move the apple (if it's allowed), and how long it will wait before it commits suicide for being unable to find a path. Basically, if the bot gets trapped, this determines how much time will pass before it gives up and dies, and it determines how long it takes before it gets frustrated and tries to move the apple.

I thought it was funny setting the computer opponent so it was allowed to go fast (Which it always does if it finds a path to the apple), and set its precision to the minimum. This caused it to play like a maniac that had poor aim, and it was fun to watch.

edit: Since I have gotten most of the goals completed for 0.2.4, I will release it soon. I just need to clean up some of the bugs that appeared after implementing frame drops and other mechanics.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  20. Desynched

United States
    Just finishing up the menus. They look terrible by the way. Hopefully I can make them look a little better before release.

To get access to the bots' individual settings on this next release, press L and R at the regular computer opponent menu for a hidden menu that lets you set your own unique ai settings.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - Release], players, Snakes