[Beta Release] Snakes - Local play 1-8 players

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Desynched, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Desynched
    OP

Desynched GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I looked into getting auto updates working, but it seems like it would be a project in and of itself. Because of this, I suggest just getting the qr web installer here https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-qr-web-installer-cia-installer.416243/

I do not plan to support auto updates, as it would increase the size of the app by about double, I'm guessing.

In other news, I have added some pleasing aesthetics. I grew tired of the weird icon to signify a game option being enabled, so I changed it to a loading icon ripped from system font.
    I also added rainbow text functionality, so when you win, it displays that in rainbow, as well as displaying the "enabled" icon in rainbow for game options.

edit: Fixed a major bug when using "Disappear on death" game option that caused the game to crash when a snake dies after getting very long.

Last edited by Desynched, Jan 13, 2017
    Quantumcat, Kinqdra and Posghetti like this.
  2. Kinqdra

Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    Just wanted to let you know that this game is as much fun as I expected it to be :D
    I spent a solid hour playing through all the different variations on a road trip with my SO. She loved it as well.

IP CURVE would be exactly the same as TRON MODE + NO APPLE except, while your snake would move forward, it would leave gaps every now and then so that you could pass through. The last one alive wins.
    At the end of a good play, it should look something like this:
    IPCURVE

The controls might be a bit more complex to replicate, but it would work well enough with the ones you already have.
    In case it interests you, in IPCURVE you only use 2 buttons. One to "curve" your snake to the left, and the other to curve it to the right.

Also, a scoreboard would be nice to implement as you progress.

Once again, I really appreciate all the effort you put into this. Even at this stage, the game is amazingly fun :yay3ds:.

3. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I plan to release beta today. I'm glad you and your SO like it!

Last edited by Desynched, Jan 15, 2017
  4. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    When will it have multiplayer online?

5. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    It won't for a while. If I make it online multiplayer, I'd have to host a server, and other things I just can't get done until after I move in a month or so. also, the snakes can move very fast, and I don't think online play would be able to keep up very well. So maybe never.

edit: basically an online version would be a different version, completely. this version will not have online gameplay, only local play

6. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    oh i want to play it XD

7. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    sorry. you'll need to convince your friends that own a 3ds to get homebrew ^^

It has one player. One player with Enable R is actually pretty fun

8. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    you say friends that have a 3ds? XD
    3DS DOES NOT EXIST HERE

9. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Where? :o

10. BlueFox gui

BlueFox gui SOMEONE

Feb 4, 2016
    Brazil
    NAS TERRAS DE HUE BR
    AN PLACE HIDDEN FROM THE WORLD... A PLACE CALLED
    BRAZIL
    [​IMG]

11. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I have update the original post with a video of 0.1.7 gameplay. The only difference between that and 0.2.0 is there's a bug fixed in 0.2.0 for "disappear on death" lag

12. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Making the snakes turn by degrees like in IP Curve would be really hard, as they currently behave as though they are on a grid. So I probably won't be making an IP curve mode. However, I could add a mode that creates holes in your line occasionally, if that's something you'd settle for

13. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I have released a High Score system!

Welcome to version 0.2.1!

This uses a new "screen score" system.
    During the match, on the bottom screen, it will display the current calculated "Screen Score".
    If this screen score exceeds your current High Score, it will be displayed in rainbow color.

This Screen Score is calculated by adding up all of the snakes' lengths. This is to reflect the current difficulty and score that the players are aiming for at the end of the round. The goal of the game among all combinations of game options is to either get as long as possible or be the last one standing. While the screen score may not reflect the difficulty of a true Tron game (Tron Mode, No Apple, Disappear On Death), it will reflect accurately for all other game modes.

At the end of the round, all devices will communicate their calculated "Screen Score". This can differ by 1-4 points due to lag, and that it is mostly client-side. All devices agree on the largest Screen Score shared. This becomes the end of round Screen Score, and if it is a larger number than the winner's high score, it will be displayed to all players that they have obtained a new High Score. This new High Score will be automatically saved to their save file on the root of the SD card.

To reset your high score, at the start screen hold R and press Y.

Last edited by Desynched, Jan 16, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  14. Kinqdra

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    Yeah, I thought it'd be a bit tricky to manage d:
    I'd settle for that any day C:

15. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    So would you like control over when holes appear or should it just be random?

16. Kinqdra

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    I guess random would do :D

17. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I will make this happen by the end of the day.
    edit: actually... this might be very hard... hmm I will have to think of a good way for devices to agree when holes were made

18. Kinqdra

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    Wow, loving the ambitiousness!
    Will definitely test it out once done c:

19. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Well you can test it now ;)

I found an eloquent way to do this. Just had to increase packets by 8 bits for the varying size of the hole. The holes vary from 1-4 dots of your snake, and happen on average 1/80 dots. Please let me know if that should be adjusted, as its not a game option I had in mind when I made this game. I can edit it to your liking, since it's something I added just for you :P

For everyone else, this means the version is now 0.2.2! You can't play with people on lower versions. It would be unfair if some players made holes and others didn't see them at all.
    To use this game option, select the last one on the game option list: "Occasional holes".

20. Kinqdra

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    I am honored :blush:
    Works just as expected, thanksss :D

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted