[Beta Release] Snakes - Local play 1-8 players

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by Desynched, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Desynched
    OP

Desynched GBAtemp Regular

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Fair enough! I am getting close :)

2. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Released version 0.1.6:
    new game mode Apples double length. I decided this would make things more fun for multiplayer, because only increasing your length by a static 40 doesn't give much of an advantage if you both have 5 apples. Now, with this game mode enabled, it doubles your length each time, so it makes it easier to wrap around someone else if you even have 1 more apple than them.

The game remembers your last username you set when you start the game. To do this, it creates a file called "snakes.dat" on the root of your sd card. It's a 50 byte file, so it's very small.

Because the version is now 0.1.6, if you try connecting to a different version, the game will exit. This is to prevent unfair advantages by people using different versions that don't support the new game modes.

Last edited by Desynched, Jan 12, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  3. elementalcode

elementalcode Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Argentina
    New suggestion. Put an option to make the teleport apple thingy on a timer cooldown.

When there is the last guy, he can hold B and walk slooooooooooooooowly to the apple. You have a limited amount of moves so he can hold the B and win.

(Or make it dependant on the time that B is being hold? or something like that? or make it so the timer to jump the apple only works when there is only the last player?)

4. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    What do you think the cooldown should be? I could make it a game option to make the Y button a 10 second cooldown. Or something like that.

Also, to prevent that from happening, what I could also do is make a game option that makes it so the last person alive has their B button disabled.

edit: this is difficult because if the timer is too short, they will never be able to get the apple. But if its too long, then like you said, they have an easy win by being patient. Hmmm

5. elementalcode

elementalcode Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Argentina
    Don't really know the exact timing, maybe make it a variable?
    Timers for the Y:
    • Infinite (one per apple)
    • 1 sec (THE ABSOLUTE MADMAN!)
    • 3 sec
    • 5 sec
    • 10 sec
    Again, I don't really know how does the 3DS track time, so this is maybe a bit unreal. although i don't think so...

finally a question: Is it possible for the apple to teleport inside of a dead snek loop? When the last player is trying to get the points to win we always joke that the apple will get stuck inside one of the corpses and he will lose. Some of my friends say that there is code to avoid that happening.... So, what is it then?

6. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    So the "pixels" are actually 2x2 pixels, but it continues to set the apple to a random location until that location's top left pixel is black.

So the worst case scenario is the top left pixel for the apple is black, but only that - and you have to get really close to get the apple.

edit: The timer is absolutely possible. The 3ds keeps track of time with system ticks. It's about... 268,123 ticks per milisecond.

7. elementalcode

elementalcode Member

Newcomer
    Dec 31, 2016
    Argentina
    You answered me without understanding my question.

Picture this. We are playing... I am winning... You move the apple... I loop and bite my tail... You need to take that apple to win... I move the apple (after dead)... The apple lands inside the dead loop of my body... You can't get the apple... I won after dying due to pixel magic :D

(Also: add to the metagame the cage strategy. If I am longer than you (I have more points), I can trap you inside a loop and bite my tail. You can't get out to get the points needed to win and must suicide. -> The cage strategy.)

Quantumcat likes this.
  8. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I love this caging strategy, it's my favorite thing to do in the game.

I added the "Apple doubles length" game option to increases opportunities for this to happen!

I do not have any code to enure that the apple will be relocated to a place you can reach it. You have to just hope nobody caged where it ends up.

It would be very difficult to code something like that, because I'd have to scan the entire screen for pixel colors, or path histories to ensure that its reachable... I'm not sure how to efficiently do that yet. Maybe someday.

In the meantime, I was thinking about a game option that when enabled, snakes that die will disappear.

edit: Wow, this forum refuses to let me fix this double post. RIP

I have added the meta strategy to the original post :)

elementalcode likes this.
  9. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Would "disable B on last alive" for a game option satisfy you?

10. Kinqdra

Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    Wow, can't believe I almost missed this! Will test it out tomorrow and tell you my thoughts, but on paper, it sounds like one of the most fun 3DS homebrew games so far. You have my full support on further improvement. Keep it up :D

11. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Thank you very much!

Hold judgement for when you play it with 3+ people though :)

12. Kinqdra

Kinqdra GBAtemp's Official T-shirt

Aug 7, 2009
    Croatia
    Will do hahah

Just tried it on my own with 2 3DSs and and it works very well :)
    An idea I can suggest for later on is maybe add an IPCURVE mode? Not sure if you've heard of the game but this looks like a solid base to become something alike. Really appreciate the effort you've put into it so far:yay:

13. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I am currently trying to find out how one plays "IP Curve", but I can't find anything in english.
    I tried watching videos, but I can't really tell how you control the curve.

14. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I am writing an easter egg for people who manage to fill the entire screen with snakes. If you manage to somehow make the entire screen filled (minus one spot), the round should immediately end, and display a message.

I am not really sure if it will work properly because it's so hard to test. If you manage to do this, please take a picture and send it to me. I'd love to see this. I won't hold my breath though...

edit: The easter egg definitely isn't worth it. It is just two lines of text.

For anyone wondering why I added this... here:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by Desynched, Jan 13, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  15. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    Released 0.1.7!
    New game option: Disappear on death.

For a true tron cycle bike game mode, enable the following in game options by pressing select at the start screen or at the end of a round: Tron mode, No apple, Disappear on death

I fixed a slew of bugs, including: ghost readies, being unable to press A for ready at the end of a round for 1 second, dropped packets on death resulting in some players being stuck in game when the round is actually over, players getting stuck in the "Game starting..." screen, and many more. In case you were curious, these bugs were hard to replicate as they didn't happen very often at all.

16. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Whew you're on a roll. I'm already like 5 updates behind and I just downloaded this the other day. Is there an auto updater of sorts available?

17. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    A feature like that is on my mind, and I want to do it. I just need to learn more about installing cia files. I am not even sure how difficult it will be to implement that, but I will try to find out tomorrow.

what I have done for now, however, is added a qr code display by pressing x at the start screen. your friend can use a qr code installer with your screen to get the latest version.

Last edited by Desynched, Jan 13, 2017
    Quantumcat likes this.
  18. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    Huh, I didn't think about that. I guess as long as I'm playing with someone it is relatively easy. Thanks for this game by the way, it's great.

19. Desynched
    OP

Jan 4, 2017
    United States
    I really appreciate feedback like this!
    I wasn't sure how often people would have friends that also have cfw or homebrew. I was a little worried this game would be under utilized. Thanks for giving it a shot!

20. sniper_x002

sniper_x002 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 13, 2016
    I used to play "this" with friends, only it was a user program for the game Petite Computer. It was much more limited, and you could only have 2 players (sharing 1 DS). I'm playing this with the same people I'd play with the other people, so thanks.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted