Beta footage of canceled N64 game SimCopter 64 appears online, owner plans to dump the cart

orw6pewmoi191.jpg

A little piece of gaming history has been uncovered this week, as a Reddit user has brought light to a game thought to no longer exist. Originally scheduled for release on the Nintendo 64 after its appearance at E3 1997, SimCopter 64 never found its way into final production. However, a picture was posted online of a prototype build playing on a Nintendo 64, only for it to promptly be removed by the owner a day later. Prior to deleting the post, the OP claimed that the development cartridge plays fine, but they're worried about it corrupting, and are currently looking into making a backup of the cart in order to preserve it. Footage of the game playing was also posted--and is now deleted as well--but it showed that the date on the build was December 26, 1997, a handful of months after its reveal at E3.

:arrow: Source

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I wonder if the N64 version has the Easter egg that was in the PC version of a bunch of shirtless men in speedo trunks running around pointlessly :rofl2: Jacques Servin one of the main programers did this as a protest at being bullied by his work colleagues for being gay if I remember correctly.

• Wow
Reactions: sley and KiiWii

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well that logic also applies to all the N64 games I mentioned - most games don't use every byte of storage on the cartridge.
In this specific case, the Ocarina of Time + Master Quest ISO uses 1.04GB on the disc.

Now, you don't need all of that. There's trailers for other games on the disc, and if you strip them out, it's 538 MB.

You can actually do further stripping. There's a gamecube disc image inside the disc image that you can pull out and run directly (It might be the japanese disc image). It's 518 MB. The game selection menu isn't included though, and it defaults to running the Master Quest version. Also, saving seems to be broken. If offers to format my memory card, but I'm unwilling to check if that fixes the issue.

Despite being unplayable, this tgz contains the unmodified rom, which can be deleted for a total of 485 MB which is actually "necessary" for playing the game. I put necessary in quotes because there's a 450 MB pre-rendered credits movie so credits can display at the gamecube's native resolution. You don't really need that, but it's part of the game, so I'm including it.
This is just how GameCube loads the N64 emulator. The "actual" files it needs are < 100MB, haven't tried to see how far you can strip it down to work in Dolphin, but yes, the actual rom is 32MB and works on actual N64 hardware. Haven't had an issue with saving, but I might have just grabbed a modified rom back in the day and replaced it, can't remember....unless you mean on GC, to which disregard if so.

But if we're going by just size of N64 games ported to other systems, Mario 64 is the largest at 354MB via Super Mario 3D All Stars. Unsure of what
Jet Force Gemini is sitting at on Rare Replay though, might be more.

But as others have said, Conker and RE2 are the largest actual N64 carts.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Always glad to hear it when someone decides to share a lost game rather than hoard it
They talked about dumping, that doesn't mean they're intending to release the dump. A lot of people are scared of Nintendo's lawyers, or just don't wanna promote piracy. Here's hoping though. I love seeing prototypes of unreleased games surfacing years later allowing everyone to enjoy what would otherwise be lost forever.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is just how GameCube loads the N64 emulator. The "actual" files it needs are < 100MB, haven't tried to see how far you can strip it down to work in Dolphin, but yes, the actual rom is 32MB and works on actual N64 hardware. Haven't had an issue with saving, but I might have just grabbed a modified rom back in the day and replaced it, can't remember....unless you mean on GC, to which disregard if so.
I gave the numbers in the post you quoted, did you not read it? It's 485 MB for just the game files. Sure you could strip out the enhanced assets, and sure there's no reason you'd necessarily want higher resolution credits, but at the point you're modifying the game itself, not just removing the extra stuff. (Yes, the saving issues were on GameCube)
But if we're going by just size of N64 games ported to other systems, Mario 64 is the largest at 354MB via Super Mario 3D All Stars. Unsure of what
Jet Force Gemini is sitting at on Rare Replay though, might be more.
485 MB > 354 MB. And no, I wasn't considering N64 games ported to other systems, I was considering the N64 game that had its original release on another platform.
But as others have said, Conker and RE2 are the largest actual N64 carts.
As I said in my original post?

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The beta footage looks cold blooded :)... Hopefully, there's some talented hobbyist dev out there w/ a reimagined vision and passionate enough to finish up what was started.

coffinbirth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I gave the numbers in the post you quoted, did you not read it? It's 485 MB for just the game files. Sure you could strip out the enhanced assets, and sure there's no reason you'd necessarily want higher resolution credits, but at the point you're modifying the game itself, not just removing the extra stuff. (Yes, the saving issues were on GameCube)

485 MB > 354 MB. And no, I wasn't considering N64 games ported to other systems, I was considering the N64 game that had its original release on another platform.

As I said in my original post?
Again, the game files are less than 100MB combined. There are no "enhanced assets"... the game simply runs at 2x resolution vs. N64.

The only differences (besides the emulator upres) between running this on GC vs. N64 is the game select screen, the rumble select screen and the memory card prompt.

The games are 32MB each, with an emulator profile for each one. They can be played start to finish without those menu screens on N64 hardware.

Mikemk

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no "enhanced assets"
Yes, the rom files are 32MB and run on a N64. And yes, if you do that, you've stripped out the enhanced asset. I don't deny it's a pointless asset, but it is part of the game.

1653847640463.png

Ocarina of Time: 485 MB (32 MB ROM + 450 MB enhanced asset)
Master Quest: 485 MB (32 MB ROM + 450 MB enhanced asset)
Emulator: 3 MB
Total: 518 MB

Last edited by Mikemk,

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's nice but all this should of been done a while ago, there should be no undumped betas sitting in drawers waiting to be cashed out

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    and idk if something will happen to my ps3 if i connect it to wifi with hen activated
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I remember when the Atari 2600 was new and exciting lol
    It could get banned from PSN but you can change your ID I think?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient