Best Youtube downloader for Windows?

hippy dave

BBMB
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's for a non-techy uncle, so the more straightforward the better (eg. get the best video & audio with one click, rather than multiple choices & separate conversion). Cheers!

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Hm yeah Youtube changes a lot. Maybe if I got a non-portable version it would auto-update?
No, because it's a paid app and pre cracked. Cracked apps can't be updated without becoming trial versions again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I hear good things about YouTube Vanced, but I've never tried it myself.

Reactions: hippy dave

Wuigi

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use youtube-dl. It's always pretty much instantly updated if there is another problem introduced by youtube like demanding to dox yourself to watch age restricted videos.
One needs to pull the latest commit though with "git clone https://github.com/ytdl-org/youtube-dl.git" -> "git pull" at times as the latest fixes are not in the release yet.
In the cloned repo use "python -m youtube_dl -f bestvideo+bestaudio youtube_url" to download the video you like.
In the youtube_dl directory there should be a ffmpeg.exe file as well or the separate files won't get merged.

Last edited by Wuigi,
Reactions: hippy dave

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
No, because it's a paid app and pre cracked. Cracked apps can't be updated without becoming trial versions again.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I hear good things about YouTube Vanced, but I've never tried it myself.
YouTube Vanced isn't a downloader, it's a mobile app that lets you block video ads, can skip sponsor spots in videos, play videos in background etc without having to pay for YouTube Premium. But it doesn't let you download videos.

Jdownloader is far and away still the best YouTube (and everything else) downloader though. You can configure it so it will only download certain quality videos or just audio and is as simple as copy/pasting the URL into the program (you could even set it up so you just have to copy the URL, but eh I find that annoying). Very configurable, auto updates, and can download things from practically any other site as well.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
YouTube Vanced isn't a downloader, it's a mobile app that lets you block video ads, can skip sponsor spots in videos, play videos in background etc without having to pay for YouTube Premium. But it doesn't let you download videos.

Jdownloader is far and away still the best YouTube (and everything else) downloader though. You can configure it so it will only download certain quality videos or just audio and is as simple as copy/pasting the URL into the program (you could even set it up so you just have to copy the URL, but eh I find that annoying). Very configurable, auto updates, and can download things from practically any other site as well.
I tried jDownloader, but I think I'm too stupid to configure it properly. :rofl2:

• Haha
Reactions: Aatube

harri

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was searching for something of that kind recently for my Android smartphone. It is not easy to find a good converter. Most of them cost money, and they are not really useful. I came across these free universal converters that changed any file from Youtube to mp3, which worked for my smartphone. You could give it a try and see if it fits your computer. You will not regret the wasted time as these converters are really useful, labour-saving tools that everyone should use. If you use them properly, they can help in many ways and in different situations.

Last edited by harri,

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I use 4K Downloader it's paid but can download full playlists or even channels.
I use portable pre-cracked versions of this, they're easy to find. I use it until it stops working, and then get a new one.

Reactions: HideoKojima

AsPika2219

Pikachu going beach!
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I am using 4K video downloader! 😎 Long time ago another one, Free Download Manager (FDM) can support download Youtube, until owner of program stop this feature anymore... 😞

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I am using 4K video downloader! 😎 Long time ago another one, Free Download Manager (FDM) can support download Youtube, until owner of program stop this feature anymore... 😞
Google probably got to him.

Reactions: AsPika2219

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SugoiEndeavor @ SugoiEndeavor: What's up bakaz