FAST6191

Techromancer
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
First there is obviously a big potential for spoilers here so be careful and those who reply try and be nice for those that come afterwards, my personal replies will be spoiler encased and should not spoil too much of anything.
Also the endings need not reflect on the quality of the show in general, two of my favourite pieces of entertainment on any medium are here under worst.

Here is my effort, no order intended and far from a complete list.
Best:
Regenesis. Canadian show, dare I say police procedural, about a group of scientists who help prevent science gone wrong.
The end show is set a few decades later and shows a "court case" where the principal cast or relations attempting to defend/explain the consequences of their actions in the final plot arc.

Avatar the Last Airbender. US cartoon with very obvious anime/eastern mythos influences about a boy who is unfrozen following a war where the "world" is conquered.
Obviously a martial arts type program needs a battle to finish it off. Some would have also argued that finishing where they did (four classical elements, each series (called books) named for said elements) and indeed I might have felt the same way going into it. Depending upon who you speak to it was a TV film as an ending (in reality it was the usual here are the last few episodes), having multiple battles occurring (multiple groups of characters) was always going to be

Dead like me, dark comedy about a group of grim reapers (they appear in human form).
Actually comes as film set a few years after the series ended, some have slated the film but I enjoyed it if only for the reversal of roles that was going on and how it explored some more of the mythos it created.

Sons of Anarchy, show about a group of bikers and their activities (illegal and otherwise). Owes more than a passing nod to the Hell's Angels (some of the lines in the series read like a direct quote from some of Otto Friedli's writings and interestingly I quite like it (patch wearing clubs are generally not something I go a bundle on). It is not finished yet but mentioned only as to my mind the first series finished leaving me wanting more, not through gimmick or some sense of "loyalty" (trying to think of better word, something along the lines of "I might as well stick this out") but through shear curiosity. It is very rare such a thing happens for me.

Worst:
The wire, on the face of it The Wire is s police show but if you watch it from the start it becomes a show with the police as main characters but lots more in between. Quite possibly my favourite show ever, my main gripe is it has raised the bar a bit high for my liking.
The show was cut short by the network (HBO) and to my mind it suffered for it. While it was not flashbacks (the only flashbacks as such are the interludes between series 4 and 5 showing some backstory which I suggest people get, I found them on youtube) it was cutaway showing where most of the surviving characters found themselves at the end of the series. While that was OK I thought the last plotline (which was a really good idea) was cut far short and suffered for it.

NCIS Another police show, the series has not ended but the people responsible get a two fingers up from me for the cliffhangers they always end each series with. While they are not quite as quickly undone as some other shows they are usually undone to some extent in the following series.

Burn notice Also still going on but it is a show about a spy forced into a retirement of sorts under false accusations and his subsequent investigation into said accusations and how he funds such things. See gripes about NCIS above although rather nicely this last series lacked it (aside from the mid series break).

Stargate (either version) Both are shows about a covert US air force group/similar exploring other planets. The last few series were odd if only because nobody knew when it was going to finish, for me this made it suffer as did the increasingly silly science backing it. Ultimately a few films have been made though.

The Shield. Another of my favourite shows and it is similar in concept to the wire although this time focusing on a corrupt (but nicely so) cop and his team in LA. Nicely some of the plotlines were tied up/revisited earlier rather than in the final glut many other shows get.
All the crimes have their consequences it seems and the last series (or at least the last two thirds) deal with the various people getting out of trouble or not as the case may be. It felt a bit rushed to me and almost needlessly so (there seemed to be a fair bit of filler earlier on). This may change when I rewatch the final series in one sitting rather than on a week by week basis.

p1ngpong

Gamer Professional Deluxe
Supervisor
Trophies
Website
imgur.com
XP
Country
Croatia
Worst ending to any tv series ever was the way Sopranos ended.

End of discussion.

mad.gif

Mangofett

GBAtemp Testing Area
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heres an anime one... d.gray-man
nothing is really resolved, after the 103 eps they'll assume you want to read the manga

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Totally agree with you about The Wire. It was one of the best shows on TV, and got cut far too short. The ending just seemed very compressed to me.

Ditto for Deadwood.

And I'm probably dating and emasculating myself here, but I really hated the way they ended The Wonder Years. The whole last season sucked, actually.

@Puyo, I wasn't completely dissatisfied with the ending to Seinfeld at the time, but watching it these days, it really doesn't hold up well to the rest of the show. Pretty disappointing in retrospect.

Film endings I'll have to think about. All I can think of from the top of my head is Eyes Wide Shut. Maybe throw AI in that category too.

Costello

Headmaster
Administrator
Trophies
XP
Two of my favourite shows are about to end soon: Desperate housewives and Prison break.
I'm hoping they'll be on the side of "best endings" rather than "worst"...
frown.gif

kobykaan

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
The Knowing .... worst film this year I've seen so far and so glad I didn't pay to go see it too!

Crappy film Crappy ending ...

spoiler warning ahead ...

Pretty pi$$ poor ending to what started out to be an Intriguing film ... kids saved parents die THE END! its kinda like Close Encounters but not anywhere near as good!

Although what do we expect from a film written by Scientologists ...each to their own religion here but STOP MAKING/WRITING CRAPPY FILMS ...Nostradamus kinda predicted crap like this too but they didn't try make a crappy blockbuster out of it!

/RANT OFF

edit re: LOST ....wtf into the 5th season and 4 years in real time and still WTF ?! no ideas whats going on still nothing explained properly they are STILL making it up as they go along... flash backs flash forwards what the hell are they doing its just stupid now!!!

they have 2 more seasons after this apparently ending in 2010?! no ideas how the hell they can stretch this any more and they clearly haven't thought this through at all ... they still haven't really explained anything from season 1 and we are now on 5!??!!

J

Jackreyes

I thought Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip ended pretty badly.
But then, it was getting canceled so they just had to tie up any storylines quickly.

Also the West Wing, but I just didn't want it to end...
I probably would have liked it to finish 8 years on from the start,
I would have liked to see it end at the point in Santos' presidency that we started Bartlet's story at. Just for... completion, or something.

Joey Ravn

F*** you, Nintendo!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Costello said:
Two of my favourite shows are about to end soon: Desperate housewives and Prison break.
frown.gif

That's interesting. I love Prison Break, but, at the same time, I'm glad it's finally ending. The show went downhill after the second season. The third one was a joke, a remake of the first one but with more Latinos and less Americans, less boulder-grey and more sand-brown, and completely deprived of the emotional charge that made the first season so good. "Hey, I'll brake this guy I barely know just because. Heck, I did the same thing with my older brother some months ago."
The fourth season is rather meh, but at least it's better than the third one. One thing that buggers me A LOT is the way they deal with time lapses and character development. Take Michael, for example. He is seeing getting worse from his brain tumor for some episodes, then miraculously recovers from surgery in a matter of minutes. Things seem too rushed now, when they took two seasons to flesh every individual story out as much as they could... Bah, I hope it ends for good now that it's still edible.

PS: The Sopranos ending was great. I can't say it was a masterpiece because there have been many other open-ended fictional works, but still it was great.

Toni Plutonij

*has TrolleyDave & tiny p1ngy on moderating shelf!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
p1ngpong said:
Worst ending to any tv series ever was the way Sopranos ended.

End of discussion.

mad.gif

laugh.gif

I didn't hate it that much, but I agree that it could have been made better!

QUOTE(Costello @ Apr 15 2009, 10:53 PM) Two of my favourite shows are about to end soon: Desperate housewives and Prison break.
frown.gif
I like both shows, but to be honest, I don't see how Prison Brake could end in a good way, I loved the first season, and every other episode after that went downhill..

One of the best endings ever, would be Descent! Amazing horror movie, and very close to it would be Myst, I loved that movie, but ending is really that great that it made the whole movie a whole lot better!

Szyslak

Nudibranch Lover
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know how I could forget about the worst movie ending of all time: Lord of the Rings - Return of the King.

Instead of Frodo, Sam, Merry and Pippen going back to the shire and kicking ass to regain control of it, we had to sit through some homoerotic tear filled circle-jerk on the dock boarding the ship. Pure crap. It's like Jackson just ran out of money and screen time and decided a mush-fest would be good enough. Still pissed about that.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I loved the Fullmetal Alchemist ending, along with the Death Note one... Oh, I can't decide which one I like more!

Vulpes Abnocto

Not Dead Yet
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The Dead Like Me movie absolutely SUCKED.
Horrible way to end such a fantastic show.

Serenity wasn't quite so bad an ending to Firefly....but it still disappointed me to an extent.

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'll just do a few to save myself some time.
Best:
5 Centimeters per Second
If I dare say so myself, I thought 5cm was pretty deep. The main character, Takaki, was in a lost state near the end of the movie; encountering the same monotonous life style he had been living in ever since he graduated college. Unable to let go of the past, Takaki's love life was also suffering; he was incapable of giving affection to anyone because of his feelings that he clung on to toward Akari. At the end, when the train separates the two, Akari is seen missing after the train had passed, meaning she has moved on in her life and did not live in the past. Takaki, however, remained, hoping to see Akari, but (everything after this point is speculation) her ability to move on in life inspired Takaki. He smiled and walked away, showing that he was finally able to give up his past.

Worst
Xam'd: Lost Memories
Oh man, I can't believe how much BONES fucked the ending up for this one. In general, Xam'd was a very good show with an incredibly disappointing ending. First of all, if you've seen Xam'd, it's absolutely ridiculous how the main character, Akiyuki, just magically happens to stop being a giant stone. That pissed me off the most, really. There's no reasoning behind it at all, he just stops being a stone and everything lives happily ever after.

Maybe I'll put more in later, but just to make sure, I'll list the series I thought had bad endings so I won't forget.
Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kobykaan said:
The Knowing .... worst film this year I've seen so far and so glad I didn't pay to go see it too!

Crappy film Crappy ending ...

spoiler warning ahead ...

Pretty pi$$ poor ending to what started out to be an Intriguing film ... kids saved parents die THE END! its kinda like Close Encounters but not anywhere near as good!

Although what do we expect from a film written by Scientologists ...each to their own religion here but STOP MAKING/WRITING CRAPPY FILMS ...Nostradamus kinda predicted crap like this too but they didn't try make a crappy blockbuster out of it!

/RANT OFF

edit re: LOST ....wtf into the 5th season and 4 years in real time and still WTF ?! no ideas whats going on still nothing explained properly they are STILL making it up as they go along... flash backs flash forwards what the hell are they doing its just stupid now!!!

they have 2 more seasons after this apparently ending in 2010?! no ideas how the hell they can stretch this any more and they clearly haven't thought this through at all ... they still haven't really explained anything from season 1 and we are now on 5!??!!

hmm I thought the knowing had a really spooky acurate (from a religious standpoint) ending.

For me the worst ending was Pirates of the Caribean 2, pissed me off so much with a crapload of WTF!?!

Also best cartoon would definately be Avatar the Last Airbender from the first post!

Lost is Damn good too, i'll have to agree the ending won't be good enough for me either
frown.gif

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King had the *least* greatest possible ending, It could have been way better
happy.gif

I also actually like most of the pokemon movies and they all have decent endings (I hate the show FYI)

National Treasure: Book of Secrets, very good ending with just enough suspense to hold you so you know there is going to be another movie!

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
Bad - LOST has to have a bad ending as you can't satisfy the viewers with an ending that is as epic as the past seasons.

Bad - Starwars 3 was fail ending. Just wasn't what I expected through out the whole movie.

Good - Avatar did pretty good. I am pleased that they gave it an ending instead of 5000 spin off's. Possible spin off for Zuko's madre?

Bad - Fable 1, gay

Bad - Pokemon all of them are the same and lame

Good - Mass Effect!!! fap fap fap

Bad - Crysis. leaves it open to spin off's (which I hate) though, I never tried Warhead.

Good - Solitare on PC because nothing is as satisfying as dancing cards!
biggrin.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.