Best Wii media player?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by shurf, Oct 21, 2008.

1. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    True, hopefully this will be improved on in the future.

On another note, how does GeeXboX compare to using media players running on Wii Linux (whiite, xwhiite etc) and do those distros have the same kind of compatbility when reading from USB devices?

DJ, maybe you know about this? I've seen you active on the Linux topics, personally i haven't tried any of them yet.

2. djdynamite123

djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    I only tried the once, and i got fed-up with Linux, no point having it on the wii to be honest, I'm not a big fan of Linux on the PC anyway, i just use my Live CD's when needed, and you know when you need then... [​IMG]

But yeah Linux always has better capabilities of playing from USB Devices, hopefully Mplayerwii can get to the same standards, as i use mplayerwii allot, it stops me from burning shit i want to watch, just wak over samba, perfect for me, not for others, i wouldn't ever use the data dvd players function as i have a dvd recorder/player but i have tested it and it is really really good!

Yeah wii Linux is powerful in the sense of playing from USB etc, if not better, give it a try..

3. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    Cool to hear. Personally i'm using the DVD functionality heaps to watch a whole lot of anime and movies that i have on disk (way too much to have stored on HDD lol)

I'm waiting on a SDHC card for xmas and also miight before i try wii linux [​IMG]

4. djdynamite123

djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    very true, that's why i have a dvd data recorder/player, you always have too many divx [​IMG]

5. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Sorry for the old topic bump, this was the first result on google for 'BEST WII MEDIA PLAYER' lol
    Is GeeXbox still the best?

I just set up TVersity as I already use it on my 360 but it wouldn't even play standard xvids of which I have nearly 6TB of..

6. Wizerzak

Wizerzak Because I'm a potato!

May 30, 2010
    United Kingdom
    I don't know about the best but I'm assuming WiiMC. That's what I use and have had no problems and I think it's what was recommend to me. Works perfectly, plays most formats, DVDs, pictures, and online capabilities for Youtube.

7. Helpful Corn

Helpful Corn GBAtemp Regular

Nov 17, 2011
    United States
    WiiMC is the best

8. Luigi2012SM64DS

Luigi2012SM64DS G-old member

Banned
    Aug 27, 2011
    Canada
    Minecrapt
    WiiMC

9. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Thanks guys I'll grab that.

10. StupidGamer1

StupidGamer1 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    WiiMC rocks but my main problem is the "search" bar, it doesn't work and if I want to re-watch a funny part in something I have to watch the entire clip all over again. once they fix that wiiMC will be the ultimate media player for any system,period.

11. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    Since I asked I have been using WiiMC and it is great. It is mainly for my son to watch kids stuff on in the living room as my 360 is in the bedroom and I use that most of the time.
    I cannot figure out how to access my shared PC folders via WiiMC. I see the network option but what do I enter? I have tried my IP but that doesn't seem to work and is the user/pass my PC's login and pass?
    Would love to get the stream setup to save me sending stuff to the Wii's HD all the time.

12. StupidGamer1

StupidGamer1 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 30, 2010
    United States
    did you set up folders on your pc for network sharing?
    *edit* I just re-read your post hmmm. I dunno why it's not working unless you have an anal firewall. :P