Best Wii media player?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by shurf, Oct 21, 2008.

1. ryu00

ryu00 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2008
    yes me too mate, but i read the wiibrew forums and found it very useful, if you read the following thread;

http://forum.wiibrew.org/read.php?17,601

theres a link for the pack, which includes the dvdx installer, which you run through the homebrew channel. i dont know whether youve got a mod chip? if you havent then just install the dvdx stub and then use the twiizer version of Mplayer. if you do have a modchip then you need to search for patchmii and install that with the homebrew channel first. i have 3.2e firmware and everything went smoothly, i'm not sure what firmware is required, but that was fine for me. also search youtube for installation videos if you arnt sure.

2. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2006
    France
    Thanks a lot man, I'll do it right away ^^

3. ryu00

ryu00 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 27, 2008
    yes make seperate folders in apps for the dvdx and the patchmii. make sure they are called boot.dol to be recognized. run patchmii first. this takes a while and appears to be installing things through the command screen and is a little scary but it should work and resets when complete. then install the dvdx, and choose the 2nd option down which says something along the lines of patchmii install. then dvds should work fine in mplayer.

4. Hellfire

Hellfire Member

Newcomer
    May 8, 2006
    France
    OK, it's working perfectly! Thanks a lot ^^
    Now onto geexbox, it stops a little halfway after loading, did the SD thingy didn't work, trying to figure it out now.
    EDIT: Had to downgrade geexbox to alpha3, working great so far ^^
    Thanks!

5. tlangford

tlangford Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 29, 2008
  6. deervark

deervark GBAtemp Regular

Oct 18, 2008
    United States
    Geexbox also has nice subtitle support with options to change the size and position of the subs. pretty rad.

7. djdynamite123

djdynamite123 Master Of Hardcore!

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
  8. crezwell

crezwell GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2008
    Cannock,England
    Has Geexbox any advantages over MPlayer picture wise? or do they basically display the same
    I have a SD reading DVD player that has perfect picture, but i get break up on fast moving images (such as water or leaves/trees), which is pretty shit when your trying to watch Lost divx files that have lots of it!!! Ive since watched episodes on Mplayer but i always feel a bit letdown with the grainy blacks, etc. Im a bit anal about getting the best picture and sound!!

Just wondered if this is a limitation of the Wiis video power or Mplayer? Im on Composite cables btw.

9. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    hmm i'm unsure actually, it plays pretty good for me like, although id rather just slap on 5 divx and play them through my data dvd recorder [​IMG]

10. skedone

skedone GBAtemp Fan

May 2, 2008
    United States
    mplayerr is better for me it has less lag in HD rips (avi) plus it fills the hole screen as i get a horrid black bow round everything on geexbox, but i must admit till awile ago i used nothing but geexbox... also Mplayer supports SDHC cards now

11. Banger

Banger Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?

Oct 31, 2007
    United States
    If the Geexbox is anything like its linuxOS counterpart it is an amazing piece of art. (I have not tried it on the wii though)

12. crezwell

crezwell GBAtemp Regular

Apr 14, 2008
    Cannock,England
    Cheers for the replies, i think ill give geexbox a go and see how good it is for me.
    But yeah i usually burn divx's onto DVDRW's and keep reusing them but to save on my burner and discs i was hoping an SD player would be a better option, being drag and drop, and i dont know about you but im always wary of pausing divxs on disc incase it sends the sync out.

13. canli

canli GBAtemp Regular

Nov 15, 2006
    Belgium
    Geexbox doesn't want to run.
    It's loading and blocks at 60-70% (loading bar)
    So, all my other apps are working..?

14. SpaceJump

SpaceJump GBAtemp Psycho!

Aug 18, 2005
    Germany
    Zebes
    Try version alpha2. Alpha3 and 4 are known to often crash while loading.

15. magic12

magic12 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 4, 2008
    Croatia
    lock the SD card

16. stretch

stretch Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Feb 11, 2007
    United States
    Could you give a MediaInfo of that AVI you've watched?

17. Sega

Sega Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 10, 2008
    United States
    I also got the loading problem at 60-70% with Alpha4. I solved the problem my formatting my SD-card from FAT32 to FAT.

Also locked the SD-card after putting my files on it, but I don't know if that i necessary

18. innercy

innercy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Oct 22, 2006
    ^oh. i use alpha 4 and similar problem happened. guess i need to reformat my sd. thanks

19. OSW

OSW Wii King

Former Staff
    Oct 30, 2006
    GeeXbox doesn't seem to handle higher quality videos anywhere near aswell as MPlayerWii - much lagging.
    However, the file compatibility is great.

20. djdynamite123

Banned
    Sep 21, 2008
    Redcar, England UK
    The only thing what makes Geexbox a decent player, is it can handle USB Devices allot more reliable than mplayerwii, usually mplayerwii cant find the path wheres Geexbox can..